Reload this Page >

**Help, Moving to Spain**

**Help, Moving to Spain**

Old Jul 30th 2012, 11:17 am
Just Joined

Craig7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default **Help, Moving to Spain**

Hi Guys,

I’m looking for some help and advice guys. The wife, kids and I have decided that we are going to move to Spain more than likely next year.
I work in the Oil and Gas industry in the UK, working 2 weeks on – 3 weeks off, so I will remain in my job and travel to/from Spain, while the family stay in Spain all the time. Obviously the big advantage of this being; we don’t need to look for work in Spain.
A big factor will be the flights, so staying within 45min from a big airport with regular flights to the UK is a must.
In our head we are thinking Malaga or Seville area. Our eldest child is 12, and our youngest is 7, so schools is our top priority.
We want to make the change as easy as possible particularly for our eldest, so staying way out in the sticks isn’t an option, although that said we don’t want to stay in a City either.
We will be renting at least for a year at first, and would like a nice family home. It would be nice if there are some expat British families to socialize with, but we also want to fully embrace the Spanish culture too. My wife and I both drive.
This is very much a lifestyle choice for us.
All advice will be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 11:30 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: **Help, Moving to Spain**

As you are not going to be looking for work could make things easier, but you don't give a clue as to why you are making this change.

I will suggest you spend holiday time visiting various areas to get the feel of the places and find out where you think the best is for the school and airport.

but remember that all the low cost airlines juggle around with where they base their aircraft and as a number of people have found out Ryanair made a better offer than Monarch to Granada but that only lasted for 3 years before they were gone, using the aircraft for Eastern Europe.

so have a think about what you are looking for, look at where you would be happy and can commute from (for the time being) and ask further questions

hth
kr
Old Jul 30th 2012, 11:35 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I would seriously consider an international school for your eldest. Its a big change for a 12yo to have to adjust to a different way of teaching, different curriculum and of course a different language. http://www.nabss.org/index.php/en/about-us/introduction

Jo xxx
Old Jul 30th 2012, 11:40 am
Just Joined

familyinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Craig
If lifestyle is the main reason for your move then the Malaga region is, in my totally biased opinion, a perfect choice.
There are many people who live here and work away. There are large expat communities if that is what you are looking for.
We love Mijas as we are close to the hustle and bustle of the coast and all the facilities that offers but live in a beautiful and peaceful environment.
If your chidren do not speak Spanish I would strongly encourage you to base your search on schools! There are many international schools in this area and I do think this is where you should start your research.

Give me a shout with any more specific questions. We have lived in many parts of Spain for over 20 years and are very happy here!
Speak soon
Lisa

Last edited by Fred James; Jul 30th 2012 at 3:53 pm. Reason: Links to your own site are not allowed.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 11:52 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

And it just happens to be your website
Old Jul 30th 2012, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

Guys, thanks for all the info.
Lisa, do you know ball-park cost for schools (per year/term etc)?
Old Jul 30th 2012, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Hi Craig
Every school has its own price, however as a guideline, a popular school in the Benalmadena/Fuengirola area has the following for this coming school year:
12 year old: 1966€ per term (3 terms per year)
7 year old: 1700€ per term
These are guideline prices and it is always worth discussing priceswith school directors, particularly when you have one more that one child.
If you have any preference of school, I can find out the details for you.
On another note, it is worth planning yourm ove to be here before the new school year starts. Many schools offer summer activity camps on July and August. This is a great way for the children to get to know their new class mates before school term starts.
Hope this helps
Lisa
Old Jul 30th 2012, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by familyinspain
Hi Craig
Every school has its own price, however as a guideline, a popular school in the Benalmadena/Fuengirola area has the following for this coming school year:
These are guideline prices and it is always worth discussing priceswith school directors, particularly when you have one more that one child.
On another note, it is worth planning yourm ove to be here before the new school year starts. Many schools offer summer activity camps on July and August. This is a great way for the children to get to know their new class mates before school term starts.
Hope this helps
Lisa
Again Lisa, thanks very much. Yes we have it in our head, to move over next summer, and had heard about the activity camps.
I think we'll plan in a couple of visits over the coming months, to get a feel for some of the areas.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by familyinspain
Hi Craig
Hope this helps
Lisa
Lisa, do you happen to know the fees for the English International College in Marbella??
Old Jul 30th 2012, 1:06 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I know Malaga is a big airport, but if you're flying back and forth from the UK (Aberdeen perhaps if you're in the oil/gas industry?) wouldn't it make more sense to be based closer to somewhere like Barcelona? - I'm assuming that Barcelona would have more international connections throughout the year, so correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

I have contacted somebody who is writing me an article on EIC Marbella Craig.
Her teenage daughter graduated from there and was very happy.
I will let you know as soon as I hear from her.

Originally Posted by Craig7
Lisa, do you happen to know the fees for the English International College in Marbella??
Old Jul 30th 2012, 1:18 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I would always recommend Sunnyview in Torremolinos. My children actually went to the British College, Benalmadena and that was good too. But once I got to know the area, the people and the schools, I thought that Sunnyview was brilliant - the children learnt well and did well!!

jo xxx
Old Jul 30th 2012, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Malaga is best for flights but for me it is far too "English". My brother in law lives in Estopona and for me it is a nightmare. Far too busy. Too many English pubs and restaurants. Seville is much nicer but and it is a big but- cold in winter, frying pan in summer and the flights though good at the moment won´t necessarily always be so good. We like our area because it is essentially Spanish and very beautiful. With regard to the children my friends brought their two girls out at about 10 and 11 and went to a Spanish school. The first year was a nightmare but after that everything slotted in to place and they became fluent in Spanish. Would I do it? No.

Workwise the same friend´s husband works in the UK and commutes weekends flying in to various different airports Seville, Gibraltar, Malaga. This seems to work for them and for you it would be ideal with having longer at home. Anyway good luck. Renting for a year is the best option.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 1:24 pm
squeaky clean

We lived in Torremuelle, which is an estate on the edge of Benalmadena - it was perfect for us, close to the sea, a couple of untouristy little bars, close to the countryside, the old town of Benalmadena Pueblo, but also close enough to (far enough away from) the touristy bit of Benalmadena. It also has a small train station that meant my husband could come and go to Malaga airport with ease ( much quicker, easier and cheaper than the drive)

Jo xxx
Old Jul 30th 2012, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Shoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to all

Hi Craig, I have lived in Alhaurin el Grande, Malaga for nearly 10 years and when we first came out here put our children into International school - what a waste of money and bad experience even though we did our research. Our daughter then went to the local Spanish primary school then secondary school where she is now starting a 2 year Baccaulerette course and she couldn´t be happier. Obviously each to their own but if you want your children to be able to at least speak converse Spanish and integrate with other Spanish children in my opinion they would do better at a Spanish school.
Hope this helps a little but you must come out here and get a feel of where you want to be and have a look at both International and Spanish schools and weigh up the pros and cons. Good luck in your research.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.