Time to return?

Old May 3rd 2014, 7:59 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Time to return?

An interesting BBC article

I can relate to these comments from it:

a "genuine feeling of being alive" that South Africans do not experience in new lives overseas, whether it is Britain, Australia or New Zealand.
"There are so many opportunities to be involved in other people's lives in South Africa in a way that you don't find anywhere else,"
"In countries where the government takes care of so many issues, it becomes hard for an individual to make a difference. If you want to volunteer, mentor or empower someone in South Africa, there's really nothing to stop you."
Old May 3rd 2014, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time to return?

Reminds me of the Homecoming Revolution propaganda. Vague, selective semi-facts, designed to tug at the heartstrings of the weak and unhappy and homesick. An appeal to that terrible self-deceiving habit that people have of wanting to believe that the grass is somehow greener on the other side.

Not so much untrue as so partial to be a lie.
Old May 3rd 2014, 12:03 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pablo
Reminds me of the Homecoming Revolution propaganda. Vague, selective semi-facts, designed to tug at the heartstrings of the weak and unhappy and homesick. An appeal to that terrible self-deceiving habit that people have of wanting to believe that the grass is somehow greener on the other side.

Not so much untrue as optimistic.

But if my personal circumstances all lined up I'd seriously consider giving it another go.
Old May 3rd 2014, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Not so much untrue as optimistic.
Fair enough. Personally I'd choose naive rather than the hackneyed 'optimistic' - another of those good-newsy tropes that Homecoming Revolution likes to trot out.

But if my personal circumstances all lined up I'd seriously consider giving it another go.
I've seen too many people try that and bitterly regret it. But there must be exceptions. It puts me in mind of Proverbs 26.11

Last edited by Pablo; May 3rd 2014 at 12:20 pm.
Old May 3rd 2014, 1:08 pm
Banned

Fair enough. Personally I'd choose naive rather than the hackneyed 'optimistic' - another of those good-newsy tropes that Homecoming Revolution likes to trot out.

I've seen too many people try that and bitterly regret it. But there must be exceptions. It puts me in mind of Proverbs 26.11
Now there's a surprise. You don't seem like a bible quoting type.

Maybe longer absence from the country will make your heart grow fonder? How long ago did you leave?

As with any emigration/"ping pong", the drivers to do so and the benefits and risks vary with every case. There's no one answer that fits all.
Old May 3rd 2014, 2:53 pm
Banned

Turns out Angel Jones in the BBC article is the Founder & CEO of Homecoming Revolution. It looks like the BBC plagiarised/recycled content from Homecoming's site.

http://homecomingrevolution.com/sout...ow-we-started/
Old May 4th 2014, 1:59 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Turns out Angel Jones in the BBC article is the Founder & CEO of Homecoming Revolution. It looks like the BBC plagiarised/recycled content from Homecoming's site.

http://homecomingrevolution.com/sout...ow-we-started/
I read that and it smelt so fishy I didn't even bother mentioning it.
Old May 6th 2014, 12:47 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Did someone say "homecoming revolution"? That does it I am hauling out the trusty old cannon and sodding sorting them out permanently! Need a cannon blast smiley here
Old May 6th 2014, 1:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

It sounded rather rehashed material to me. Still back in RSA less than eighteen months ago and it did feel good. Somehow more alive and real.
Reality being of course would need to develop a business to remain which I certainly would be cautious in doing.

Not sure if I like to get old there either. Great country to holiday. Cape Town has majestic as ever. Just as Durbs is as disappointing.
Rather impressed with Namibia and had some very positive feed back from former Saffies that relocated there..
Old May 6th 2014, 5:56 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

All well and good wanting to be there for sentimental reasons but reality has a nasty habit of ruining a good vibe. There is no question there will always be things about SA that I will always miss, one of them is who I am when I am back there. Old friends, old haunts pulls something out of me that cannot be opened anywhere else. It like that last piece of the puzzle that fits just right. Reality though is when I watch friends and extended family dealing with the challenges that is part of their day to day life. I then appreciate that even though I have given up something significant in my life, I certainly made the process of living much easier. You do have to pick your poison.