Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

Things to buy before moving to SA

Things to buy before moving to SA

Old Jun 24th 2012, 3:20 pm
Looking to LA

UK_TV_CPT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Things to buy before moving to SA

A little bit quiet here at the moment?!?

My Move date to CT is early august, this leads to look forward to taking things over that we would miss over there... (we're buying second hand to avoid customs issues).

I know technology is expensive, we're taking over flat panel TV and IT stuff so that area is covered.

I know baby stuff is expensive or unavailable, so we're taking stair gates, baby monitors things like that.. the biggest find was that the silicone ice cube makers aren't readily available like they are here (for freezing baby freshly made baby food).

Any ideas or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Gareth.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:14 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to buy before moving to SA

Hi Gareth

You're right - it is quiet in here....enjoy the peace.

Make sure you have an itunes.co.uk account - you can't get one here (and keep a UK bank account with cash in it for purchases too).

When I go back to the UK I get sent by the wife to the shops (especially during the sales) for good quality kids clothes - winter pyjamas, long sleeved t-shirts, that kind of thing. Not an issue if you don't have kids. SA seems to have finally caught up - you can get most things here that you will need for similar prices to the UK - or cheaper (and just shout if you can't find something).

Make sure you bring some 4-plug extension leads (only swap the plug on the extension, then you don't need to swap all your UK appliances)

Books are expensive but with itunes you can download nowadays - but otherwise I think furniture, bedding, crockery etc (all the heavy stuff you have to drag around) are probably cheaper here than the cost of the UK stuff and shipping added together.

Hope this helps,

Ed
Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:33 am
Looking to LA

Hi Ed.

The only big things we're shipping is hard Indian redwood dining table, chairs, coffee table and TV cabinet as these were Gumtree bargains and replacement costs totally outweigh shipping for them...

I'm taking over multiple PCs and tv stuff, that indeed was the plan with 4 way extension leads...

We found out the sex yesterday (boy so we're full speed ahead looking for boys clothing, H&M seem to have some real bargains! We're lucky her parents are here for July, leaving a week before us so they will be carrying a case each of kiddy stuff!

We're also lucky having some strings to pull to get a total of 6 x 23kg bag allowance + hand luggage so providing we limit incoming new stuff to £300 each we're cutting down on shipment costs..

Interesting about Itunes accounts.. I was there a few weeks ago and Iphone4 adverts were everywhere... how do people get around that (We're sorted so not an issue, just intrigued!)
Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:48 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK_TV_CPT
Interesting about Itunes accounts.. I was there a few weeks ago and Iphone4 adverts were everywhere... how do people get around that (We're sorted so not an issue, just intrigued!)
Yeah, they're buggers, aren't they?

You can get an iphone, make and receive calls etc...you can buy apps (many are hosted locally) but downloading music is the problem. The African solution is simple - get someone you know who has a valid overseas account and pirate all their music. I understand why apple are reluctant to open it up here, but surely the cost of lost revenues is greater than the risk? Anyway - word is that it's coming soon.

Sounds like you have thing pretty well sorted out - I wouldn't lose a huge amount of sleep over bringing new clothes in and the allowance, just cut the tags off and take them out of the packaging. I have been through customs here (CT and Joburg) dozens of times and never been stopped - and the onus is on them to prove it's new. Just say they were bought at Jet stores (everything you can carry for a fiver) and you will be fine...
Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:52 am
Looking to LA

Originally Posted by ededed
Yeah, they're buggers, aren't they?

You can get an iphone, make and receive calls etc...you can buy apps (many are hosted locally) but downloading music is the problem. The African solution is simple - get someone you know who has a valid overseas account and pirate all their music. I understand why apple are reluctant to open it up here, but surely the cost of lost revenues is greater than the risk? Anyway - word is that it's coming soon.

Sounds like you have thing pretty well sorted out - I wouldn't lose a huge amount of sleep over bringing new clothes in and the allowance, just cut the tags off and take them out of the packaging. I have been through customs here (CT and Joburg) dozens of times and never been stopped - and the onus is on them to prove it's new. Just say they were bought at Jet stores (everything you can carry for a fiver) and you will be fine...
I'm still cautious as customs made us pay duty for a wedding dress which was leaving the country in 4 weeks after arriving.
We lied and said the dress was just over £300 and my suit and bits just over.

Ended up paying something like R60. I did laugh as I deliberately paid on my Amex