Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

Tanzania - We've been offered a relocation package....anyone any experience?

Tanzania - We've been offered a relocation package....anyone any experience?

Old Jun 3rd 2011, 9:17 am
Mad Moo plus 2

Maddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Tanzania - We've been offered a relocation package....anyone any experience?

Has anyone lived/worked, still lives and works in Tanzania. Hubby's been offered a role there and relocation package for us. Can't decided whether we should all relocate or whether I should stay in Johannesburg with bubba? eeek life's never dull in the JvN household!
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tanzania - We've been offered a relocation package....anyone any experience?

Originally Posted by Maddyjvn
Has anyone lived/worked, still lives and works in Tanzania. Hubby's been offered a role there and relocation package for us. Can't decided whether we should all relocate or whether I should stay in Johannesburg with bubba? eeek life's never dull in the JvN household!
If you spend time on the main island of Zanzibar, do NOT moon for the camera at David Livingstones old house, and streaking is not a good idea!
if you, in a moment of madness, decide to spend a night in Jail, I can recmmend the second cell on the left at the old Police HQ.
many too many has its price!
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 2:04 pm
Mad Moo plus 2

Maddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Tanzania - We've been offered a relocation package....anyone any experience?

Originally Posted by Daxk
If you spend time on the main island of Zanzibar, do NOT moon for the camera at David Livingstones old house, and streaking is not a good idea!
if you, in a moment of madness, decide to spend a night in Jail, I can recmmend the second cell on the left at the old Police HQ.
many too many has its price!
Yeah I read your other thread entries. LOL

Sounds interesting. My mother's Uncle was a missionery in Tazania and established friends of the masasi charity. He worked there for 30 years. How come family keep these things hidden. So off to grill Grandma when I visit the UK in August for all the inside info.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 6:03 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where you are based. Are you going with a mining company?
Old Jun 4th 2011, 12:51 pm
Mad Moo plus 2

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
Depends where you are based. Are you going with a mining company?
No...hubby will be based in the Capital!
Old Jun 5th 2011, 1:48 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

So in Dar. Large mining community there.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 2:13 pm
Mad Moo plus 2

So in Dar. Large mining community there.
Ok. Well our family historically was involved in mining in Welsh and Yorkshire coal fields so I guess it won't be too different. Hubby thinks part of this new role will be with mining security.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 3:04 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Ok. Well our family historically was involved in mining in Welsh and Yorkshire coal fields so I guess it won't be too different. Hubby thinks part of this new role will be with mining security.
Lots of Saffers as well as British expats. You should be fine. You will deal with the usual security/water/electricity issues though. Not unusual. They do have good expats groups going so I am sure you will find some nice folk to socialize with. Playing golf - or learning to will help.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:59 am
Mad Moo plus 2

Lots of Saffers as well as British expats. You should be fine. You will deal with the usual security/water/electricity issues though. Not unusual. They do have good expats groups going so I am sure you will find some nice folk to socialize with. Playing golf - or learning to will help.
Goodness haven't played golf for about 4 years (I was rubbish) but I'll defo take up lessons again.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

petally is an unknown quantity at this point

Haven't lived in Dar but visited and worked with expat colleagues who did live there. Everyone loves it! They seemed to have good social life and plenty of things to do, security issues didn't seem too bad especially in comparison to Jo'burg. I don't think there is as much availability of goods as in Jo'burg or it is expensive as I was asked for a whole load of stuff, especially baby stuff, when I came (had a suitcase full!). I know that my colleages had fantastic weekend trips and holidays all over the country. Seemed like a great place!
Old Jun 13th 2011, 10:12 am
Mad Moo plus 2

Originally Posted by petally
Haven't lived in Dar but visited and worked with expat colleagues who did live there. Everyone loves it! They seemed to have good social life and plenty of things to do, security issues didn't seem too bad especially in comparison to Jo'burg. I don't think there is as much availability of goods as in Jo'burg or it is expensive as I was asked for a whole load of stuff, especially baby stuff, when I came (had a suitcase full!). I know that my colleages had fantastic weekend trips and holidays all over the country. Seemed like a great place!
Yeah everyone says plenty to do. Fab thanks for your feed back. I guess we await the scouting trip and then hubby decides if he likes it or not. I'm pretty fluid I'll go anywhere work anywhere beach bum anywhere.

Do you know if there is much sailing there?
Old Jun 13th 2011, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, there was, so I should imagine there still is, Dar (and Zanzi) are both stopovers for the yachties.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 11:21 am
Mad Moo plus 2

Yes, there was, so I should imagine there still is, Dar (and Zanzi) are both stopovers for the yachties.
WOO HOO - love sailing. Now to persuade parentals to sail boat down from Pompy.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

WOO HOO - love sailing. Now to persuade parentals to sail boat down from Pompy.
dont let them absorb any Somali Culture!!
Old Jun 15th 2011, 6:59 am
Mad Moo plus 2

dont let them absorb any Somali Culture!!
Yeah had't thought of that...I will ak47 them!! Beats fishing LOL