South Africa ?

Old Aug 21st 2003, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

ukcop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default South Africa ?

Hello All

I live in the South East of the UK with my wife and 16 month old baby. Many years ago I used to travel to SA twice a year to work (in backpackers hostels) in Cape Town. Well, it wasn't really work more like free beer. Anyway I carried on until I got married and then still returned once a year to stay with friends for 3 weeks at a time and basically chill.

Anyway, we are looking at getting away from the UK, either for good or maybe a year or two.

What is the situation presently in SA in terms of immigration and/or residence visa's and/or work visas ?

I have heard that basically I don't have a hope in hell under the present government.

Can anyone advise me ?

Thanks
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough
Default Re: South Africa ?

Dear ukcop,

I used to be a Polic Officer (Royal Hong Kong Police).

Regarding South Africa, I was also looking closely at this option, and all I could find out was that there is an Immigration review going on right now which makes the rules very unclear.

Apparently all bets are off at the moment, but maybe someone else could advise on the current situation?

I know what you mean about wanting to leave the UK for a better life.........I really do understand!

I would be very interested in any news about SA Immigration.

Cheers
Old Aug 25th 2003, 8:16 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: South Africa ?

Originally posted by ukcop
Hello All

I live in the South East of the UK with my wife and 16 month old baby. Many years ago I used to travel to SA twice a year to work (in backpackers hostels) in Cape Town. Well, it wasn't really work more like free beer. Anyway I carried on until I got married and then still returned once a year to stay with friends for 3 weeks at a time and basically chill.

Anyway, we are looking at getting away from the UK, either for good or maybe a year or two.

What is the situation presently in SA in terms of immigration and/or residence visa's and/or work visas ?

I have heard that basically I don't have a hope in hell under the present government.

Can anyone advise me ?

Thanks
We also used to live in SA a few years ago, but in the run up to the mandela elections, I found I couldn't re-new my work permit so we had to come home. Spent a brilliant 4 years there though. We did consider going back, but freinds and family that we still have over there have advised us not to. So we're going to OZ.

I've found a place over here that sells Castle lager, so I'm OK!
Old Aug 26th 2003, 3:59 pm
pfa
Just Joined

pfa is an unknown quantity at this point

My boyfriend and I are considering a move to South Africa. He has previously lived there on 2 occasions many years ago and I have never visited.

We are currently in Denmark of which I have had enough and teh job market here is pretty tight. We are in the process of contacting companies about jobs.Is it best to contact companies directly or to go thru a recruitment agency?

I have spoken with a couple of agnecies with mixed reults but the general impression is that it is diificult to get a company to sponsor a non-south african. In contrast many businesses point to a skills shortage particuarly in management and project management fields.

I am really needing feedback from anyone who has made teh move from europe.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 5:42 pm
pfa
Just Joined

pfa is an unknown quantity at this point

My boyfriend and I are considering a move to South Africa. He has previously lived there on 2 occasions many years ago and I have never visited.

We are currently in Denmark of which I have had enough and teh job market here is pretty tight. We are in the process of contacting companies about jobs.Is it best to contact companies directly or to go thru a recruitment agency?

I have spoken with a couple of agnecies with mixed reults but the general impression is that it is diificult to get a company to sponsor a non-south african. In contrast many businesses point to a skills shortage particuarly in management and project management fields.

I am really needing feedback from anyone who has made teh move from europe.