Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

Safest / good World Cup host venues ?

Safest / good World Cup host venues ?

Old Jul 3rd 2009, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Cyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Safest / good World Cup host venues ?

Am possibly looking at attending a few first round games next summer and am curious as to which of the following venues will have the best combination of safety, tourist infrastructure and natural scenery.

Johannesburg (Soccer City and Ellis Park)
Cape Town,
Durban,
Port Elizabeth,
Nelspruit,
Polokwane,
Bloemfontein,
Rustenburg
Pretoria.

Whilst I would be happy following the England team, I am prepared to forgo that and rather stay in a place where I can think I would have an overall good time in relative comfort and security and watch a few games of any other teams. Based on the recent Confederation Cup games, there still appear to be issues relating to transportation from the stadiums to the surrounding cities.

Thanks for any insights.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of
Default Re: Safest / good World Cup host venues ?

I will make all the effort to go to any of the Cape town games,

I can't see me making any effort any where else

'vette
Old Oct 13th 2009, 11:58 am
Lifestyle Concierge

janizaf is an unknown quantity at this point

There isn't even a split second's hesitation on my part. CAPE TOWN!!

It's by far the safest, most diverse, cosmopolitan, fun and everything your heart could desire is within 20 minutes in any direction. Whether it be hiking, shark-cage diving, sky diving, wine routes, Table Mountain, safaris, sailing, beaches, outstanding restaurants, nightlife, camping, outdoor festivals.....I could go on and on.....Garden route....Cape Point....sunset picnics either on the beach, Signal Hill or Table Mountain then take the cable car down. V&A Waterfront....

Contact me for any more advice ;o)

Originally Posted by Cyan
Am possibly looking at attending a few first round games next summer and am curious as to which of the following venues will have the best combination of safety, tourist infrastructure and natural scenery.

Cape Town,
Durban,
Port Elizabeth,
Nelspruit,
Polokwane,
Bloemfontein,
Rustenburg
Pretoria.

Whilst I would be happy following the England team, I am prepared to forgo that and rather stay in a place where I can think I would have an overall good time in relative comfort and security and watch a few games of any other teams. Based on the recent Confederation Cup games, there still appear to be issues relating to transportation from the stadiums to the surrounding cities.

Thanks for any insights.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janizaf
There isn't even a split second's hesitation on my part. CAPE TOWN!!
Contact me for any more advice ;o)
How convenient, then, that you happen to be running a tourism-related business from Cape Town too.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 3:02 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Janizaf, I think you had better knock off the advertising before the mods get hold of you.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 5:31 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
Janizaf, I think you had better knock off the advertising before the mods get hold of you.
I could sure use a lifestyle concierge though....
Old Oct 13th 2009, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Cyan

Cape Town,
Durban,
Port Elizabeth,
Nelspruit,
Polokwane,
Bloemfontein,
Rustenburg
Pretoria.

Thanks for any insights.
Cyan, I would avoid the world cup in SA at all costs. You safer watching it from your armchair in the UK. Cape Town is the most dangerous place in South Africa.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 8:01 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed
I could sure use a lifestyle concierge though....
Well then, what yer waiting for laddie?
Old Oct 14th 2009, 5:51 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwibok
Cyan, I would avoid the world cup in SA at all costs. You safer watching it from your armchair in the UK. Cape Town is the most dangerous place in South Africa.
I thought it was Northgate?
Old Oct 14th 2009, 5:52 am

Well then, what yer waiting for laddie?
Are you offering?
Old Oct 14th 2009, 6:05 am
Lifestyle Concierge

The official web site for South African crime statistics, by province is:
http://www.iss.co.za/cjm/stats0904/province.htm

If one just looks at the "Murder" category in 2004...
Cape Town 24
Durban 108
Johannesburg 90

I think the facts speak for themselves.

I thought it was Northgate?
Old Oct 14th 2009, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Cape Town is one of the murder capitals of the world, alas. Better not to mislead people, even if you are trying to promote your business.

http://www.capetown.gov.za/en/stats/...2001-2008C.pdf
Old Oct 14th 2009, 12:46 pm
Lifestyle Concierge

I am not here to promote my business but to speak proudly of Cape Town. I am originally from Durban and came to Cape Town on holiday, many years ago.

I fell in-love with the place and stayed on. I've never looked back. I visit my family in Kwa Zulu Natal twice a year and enjoy the Natal midlands but I thrive on the lifestyle Cape Town has to offer. It is by far the most popular tourist destination in South Africa.

I was in I.T for 15 years before being retrenched. I decided to go it alone. Because tourism is a fast growing industry in Cape Town (for obvious reasons) my business started leaning more and more that way. It started as a wine club....and Personal chef business.

Yes, I may be biased because of my love for the place but not because of my business. My business is merely a product of my love for the industry and the place. So, give a girl a break, please.

Originally Posted by Pablo
Cape Town is one of the murder capitals of the world, alas. Better not to mislead people, even if you are trying to promote your business.

http://www.capetown.gov.za/en/stats/...2001-2008C.pdf
Old Oct 14th 2009, 2:09 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Are you offering?
LOL!! What is it about males needing constant supervision?
Old Oct 14th 2009, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

LOL!! What is it about males needing constant supervision?
No, he'd be happy if you lent him a hand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.