Retirement to South Africa

Old Feb 21st 2004, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Not so sure about that! The Northern Province beckons all the time!

Originally posted by davidw
you'll be glad you're in Perth.

David
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

davidw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by melaniee
Not so sure about that! The Northern Province beckons all the time!
Fair enough, what do you prefer in Limpopo to Perth?
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

The people, the animals. the work we could do, the culture, the lack of crime (!), lack of materialism, etc etc!!

There were things that we obviously did not like but these were mostly associated with the cities and so far we would chose South Africa over Australia any day!

Originally posted by davidw
Fair enough, what do you prefer in Limpopo to Perth?
Old Feb 25th 2004, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Please ignore all the negative racist comments about South Africa.

It is a fantastic country to live in. My family all live there and not one of them has had any personal experiences with crime.

Many people who have left South Africa feel compelled to justify themselves by trashing the country and having a "Dog in the Manger" attitude towards anyone else who wants to go there. "We don't want to live there but you can't either."

We visited for a month in December / January and the lifestyle is really incomparable. We live in Australia currently and the lifestyle and weather are not nearly as good. We are giving serious thought to returning "home" in the near future.

You will find SA infinitely affordable compared to the UK. The weather is also fantastically temperate - none of the extremes that we experience here in Oz.

Good luck and go for it.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by momoz342000
That is true not all of South Africa is so cold in winter. Gauteng, or the Northern Provinces (which most people refer to) is drier and warmer, but still gets very, very cold in winter.
Like the rest of your posting - total bullshit.

"Very, very cold" compared to where exactly??? Canada ? The UK ? Europe ?"

I don't think that average day temperatures of 18 degrees Celsius during the 3 short Winter months would be classified as "very very cold" in anybody's language and Limpopo province would be more like 25 degrees.

If you're going to trash the country get your facts straight first.

Last edited by Sunlover; Feb 25th 2004 at 7:51 am.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 10:18 am
Expert ping ponger

HighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down

Firstly Sunlover, it is not racism for criticising a country.

Secondly, one could argue that you are trying to justify yourself for wanting to return to SA from Australia

At the end of the day, people will have different opinions on South Africa.

I sincerely hope South Africa will turn around and become the success of Africa. However one cannot deny that there aren't issues needing reslolved in South Africa, before it can become a success. Ignoring this will be like turning a blind eye to the situation and hoping it will fix itself.

Ultimatley, it isn't about this country is better than that country, but more about feeling at home, where ever it may be. So if one can't find work or feels unsecure due to crime, then you can't blame someone for wanting to find somewhere where they feel at home.

I have lived in South Africa for 20 years, the UK for 4 years and soon will be moving to the US. All of them have there good and bad points. It just depends on each individual's circumstances that dictate where they are happy. So bear this in mind before you brandish those choosing to emmigrate from SA as racists.

Regards

HighlandPenguin
Old Feb 26th 2004, 10:14 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Sunlover
Please ignore all the negative racist comments about South Africa.

It is a fantastic country to live in. My family all live there and not one of them has had any personal experiences with crime.

Many people who have left South Africa feel compelled to justify themselves by trashing the country and having a "Dog in the Manger" attitude towards anyone else who wants to go there. "We don't want to live there but you can't either."

We visited for a month in December / January and the lifestyle is really incomparable. We live in Australia currently and the lifestyle and weather are not nearly as good. We are giving serious thought to returning "home" in the near future.

You will find SA infinitely affordable compared to the UK. The weather is also fantastically temperate - none of the extremes that we experience here in Oz.

Good luck and go for it.

I am South African and left after having my flat burgled and car stolen within 5 months of each other. I lived in Hilton, Natal.....not some dodgy area. Shortly after leaving some very close friends of mine were held-up at gun point in their restaurant while the place was trashed and everything worth taking was taken.

I am not being 'racist' and I really don't agree with your use of the term in the first place. There is a huge difference between trashing the country and facing up to the reality of living everyday life out there.

We went back in Dec / Jan last year with a view to moving back. The most basic items (stanps, cauliflours, mushrooms) were not to be found in town. After asking various places when we might be able to get some the answer was maybe next week. This is the reality of living in a quiet small village (Underberg), obviously things would be different in the big cities....but who wants to live there.

Whether you live in town or out you have to have bars on the windows and fences and electric gates. Who wants that? Yes the houses are unbelieveable and if you're going there with pounds in your pocket you're virtually laughing. But....if you need a job, good luck trying to get something decent. What happens when you try to leave.....your rands aren't worth anything to anyone.

And by the way.....if you're looking for cold, head for Underberg. Minus 13 degrees in winter. Also a National Heritage site and some other site too. Great for trout fishing.
Old Feb 29th 2004, 8:22 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

It would be almost laughable, if it wasn't so serious, that the word 'racist' is bandied about so much, especially when one tries to portray every day life in S.A., the intricacies of which are not only known to a select few, (after all, we're not living in the 15th century, in which case it would be hard to verify), but is available for the world to read all for themselves, in the South African papers every day.

A casual perusal through their national dailies ( www.iol.co.za , www.thestar.co.za and www.mg.co.za), and their archives, will quickly highlight the fact that crime is a major problem, affecting all color and creed.

The Interpol site also supplies valuable information regarding the topic.

Johannesburg and Pretoria are extremely cold in winter, with the nights going down to below zero Celcius many nights, and in the single digits during the day, especially in June/July most years, and with August supplying very strong icy cold winds for parts of the day. It has been known to receive a foot or two of snow in winter, and snow flurries other years. Remember that there is no central heating.

The Limpopo region is warmer due to the Tropic, and you will not experience many cold nights.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by banjo
I am South African and left after having my flat burgled and car stolen within 5 months of each other. I lived in Hilton, Natal.....not some dodgy area. Shortly after leaving some very close friends of mine were held-up at gun point in their restaurant while the place was trashed and everything worth taking was taken.

I am not being 'racist' and I really don't agree with your use of the term in the first place. There is a huge difference between trashing the country and facing up to the reality of living everyday life out there.

We went back in Dec / Jan last year with a view to moving back. The most basic items (stanps, cauliflours, mushrooms) were not to be found in town. After asking various places when we might be able to get some the answer was maybe next week. This is the reality of living in a quiet small village (Underberg), obviously things would be different in the big cities....but who wants to live there.

Whether you live in town or out you have to have bars on the windows and fences and electric gates. Who wants that? Yes the houses are unbelieveable and if you're going there with pounds in your pocket you're virtually laughing. But....if you need a job, good luck trying to get something decent. What happens when you try to leave.....your rands aren't worth anything to anyone.

And by the way.....if you're looking for cold, head for Underberg. Minus 13 degrees in winter. Also a National Heritage site and some other site too. Great for trout fishing.
Mmmmm Colac, VIC - not the warmest or the most well stocked town either if I recall correctly.

Went there in December and wore a jumper the whole time. Couldn't find a restuarant open after 9pm, couldn't buy a common brand of face cream at the local Coles.........
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by izibear
Johannesburg and Pretoria are extremely cold in winter, with the nights going down to below zero Celcius many nights, and in the single digits during the day, especially in June/July most years, and with August supplying very strong icy cold winds for parts of the day. It has been known to receive a foot or two of snow in winter, and snow flurries other years. Remember that there is no central heating.

The Limpopo region is warmer due to the Tropic, and you will not experience many cold nights.

WHAT ??? Extremley cold ? I don't think so. I lived in Canada with day temps of minus 35 degrees Celsius - that's extremley cold.

Johannesburg RARELY has Winter day Temperatures in the single digits and even more rarely night tempetaures below zero.

A foot or two of snow ?? It last snowed in 1981 - and there was barely enough on the ground to build a snowman.

Central heating is not necessary for the three short months but can be installed relatively cheaply.

As for Pretoria it's always 5 degrees or so warmer than Johannesburg.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by HighlandPenguin
Firstly Sunlover, it is not racism for criticising a country.

Secondly, one could argue that you are trying to justify yourself for wanting to return to SA from Australia

At the end of the day, people will have different opinions on South Africa.

I sincerely hope South Africa will turn around and become the success of Africa. However one cannot deny that there aren't issues needing reslolved in South Africa, before it can become a success. Ignoring this will be like turning a blind eye to the situation and hoping it will fix itself.

Ultimatley, it isn't about this country is better than that country, but more about feeling at home, where ever it may be. So if one can't find work or feels unsecure due to crime, then you can't blame someone for wanting to find somewhere where they feel at home.

I have lived in South Africa for 20 years, the UK for 4 years and soon will be moving to the US. All of them have there good and bad points. It just depends on each individual's circumstances that dictate where they are happy. So bear this in mind before you brandish those choosing to emmigrate from SA as racists.

Regards

HighlandPenguin

Firstly nobody brandished those choosing to emigrate as racists. In case you hadn't noticed I am an emigrant myself !

However comments in this thread about "Inept Presidents", "Ministers of Health who are comedians", "Caucasians who supposedly can't find jobs because they're white" and "everything going well in SA until 1994" - all stike me as race related.

There are plenty of idiot politicians in all countries including the war-mongering President of your new home, but I don't think that influenced your decision to move there, did it ?

The fact is that people simply can't accept the new South African government or acknowledge the tremendous progress that it has made in many areas, and the real underlying reason for that, whether you'll admit it to yourself or not, is because it is a black government and not a white one.

If it was so difficult for you to find work in SA how were you able to earn enough money to return to the UK within a month ? Can't be that terrible can it ?

As for your own fiancee's comments about "shuddering at the stories" you have told her about South Africa - sounds like she has been given a very one sided view of what you wanted her to believe. My friends on the other hand can't wait to visit South Africa because of the wonderful things I have told them, and know to be true about South Africa.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 2:59 pm
Expert ping ponger

HighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Well Sunlover

I expected the reaction you have given. Time to psycho analyse you. The fact you seem so fixated on race and racism, could point to racist tendancies of your own.

With regards to inept presidents, well I think it speaks for itself, when a president announces that there is no link between HIV and AIDS. Very unprofessional and inept, for better use of a word, considering how AIDS is ravaging Southern Africa. Secondly the silence from the South African government with regards to Zimbabwe, speaks volumes too. I have no problem whether there is a black, white, yellow, green, red, blue or orange president, just as long they get the job done properly.

The moment you have a situation where one can't criticise a government, you no longer have democracy.

Another point you are obviously unaware of, there are at least 50% of Americans who are not in agreement with the running President's views.

On the employment issue, you can't deny that there is an aggressive affirmative action policy in South Africa. On top of that, some of my friends back in SA, who happen to be black, said that they would not want to get a job because they were black, but rather on merit. I think that says it all.

So basically get your facts right or we will just have to boycott you on this thread

Regards

Broader minded South African (HighlandPenguin)

Last edited by HighlandPenguin; Mar 3rd 2004 at 3:37 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2004, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by HighlandPenguin
Well Sunlover

I expected the reaction you have given. Time to psycho analyse you. The fact you seem so fixated on race and racism, could point to racist tendancies of your own.

With regards to inept presidents, well I think it speaks for itself, when a president announces that there is no link between HIV and AIDS. Very unprofessional and inept, for better use of a word, considering how AIDS is ravaging Southern Africa. Secondly the silence from the South African government with regards to Zimbabwe, speaks volumes too. I have no problem whether there is a black, white, yellow, green, red, blue or orange president, just as long they get the job done properly.

The moment you have a situation where one can't criticise a government, you no longer have democracy.

Another point you are obviously unaware of, there are at least 50% of Americans who are not in agreement with the running President's views.

On the employment issue, you can't deny that there is an aggressive affirmative action policy in South Africa. On top of that, some of my friends back in SA, who happen to be black, said that they would not want to get a job because they were black, but rather on merit. I think that says it all.

So basically get your facts right or we will just have to boycott you on this thread

Regards

Broader minded South African (HighlandPenguin)
HP (Sauce ?)

Considering that you are a failed metallurgist turned IT person I would say that you were eminently qualified to physcoanalyse anyone.....well done "all knowing" one.

You also have a real gift for making irrelevant statements - what does the fact that 50% of Americans disapprove of Dubbya have to do with anything I have said ? Actually the figure is higher than that, more Americans now disapprove of him than approve.

Sorry didn't realise that you were not only "all knowing" but also "all powerful" but since you are and obviously control this website, if not the whole internet, please DO boycott me on this thread - I hate wasting time arguing with people who are obviously so superior both intellectually and morally, but just can't stop myself when you post your well thought out and well written replies - so please stop posting and save me from myself.

Your adoring subject
Sunlover
Old Mar 4th 2004, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Sunny,

Everyone appreciates sarcasm, but give it a rest. HP (not the sauce) was just trying to inform you that the folks leaving/immigrating from SA have various reasons for leaving. I would think that the ones who were racist would have left 10 years ago when Nelson came into power, instead of waiting til now to leave.

HP was all for the abolishing of apartheid (sp?), and welcoming of the new government. However, it seems that the new government, in trying to rectify the sins of the past, have allowed an atmosphere of reverse discrimination to permeate the country - similar to what is sweeping through Zimbabwe currently. No doubt there are many blacks (for lack of a better word) have undoubtably gained better jobs, etc, however what does it say when a white goes through 3 or 4 rounds of interviews, and then loses the job to a black -that you know isn't as qualified as yourself? From what I understand, given no first hand experiences myself, this is an all to common occurance now in SA. Have you tried to work and live in SA long term? If not, how can you possibly make comments about how easy it is for whites to get jobs now (esp since I have no clue about your ethnicity)?

Even if the reverse discrimination is just in the white's imagination, it's apparent that there are many, many of them that are finding it downright impossible to find jobs, so what would you do in a situation such as that? Stay, and hope to eke out an existence, say on a waiters salary, or take the opportunity to move to another country where the jobs are more abundant? Most people would move to the jobs, no? Moving to find a job does not make a person racist.

No one on this forum has dogged/trashed SA as a country - no denying that it is a beautiful place to live I'm sure. But how can you deny the crime that is occuring there? There are reasons it has been stated to have the highest crime rate in the world - I think even higher than the US. Just because your family hasn't been touched by crime doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Carjackings, baby rape, murder, burgleries, the list goes on. Perhaps living out in the provinces it's safer, but I bet it's only a matter of time before it spreads to there as well.

Where did you see anyone on here making racist remarks? The replies did say how beautiful it is, etc, but not one person in this thread has said anything remotely trashing the blacks in SA. Making comments about how difficult it is to obtain a job and how high the crime rate is, is NOT being racist - it's being truthful to the problems that currently exist in SA. Every country has it probs, esp the US with this damn a-hole in power, so why deny that SA has theirs?

Regards,
Sunflwrgrl

Originally posted by Sunlover
HP (Sauce ?)

Considering that you are a failed metallurgist turned IT person I would say that you were eminently qualified to physcoanalyse anyone.....well done "all knowing" one.

You also have a real gift for making irrelevant statements - what does the fact that 50% of Americans disapprove of Dubbya have to do with anything I have said ? Actually the figure is higher than that, more Americans now disapprove of him than approve.

Sorry didn't realise that you were not only "all knowing" but also "all powerful" but since you are and obviously control this website, if not the whole internet, please DO boycott me on this thread - I hate wasting time arguing with people who are obviously so superior both intellectually and morally, but just can't stop myself when you post your well thought out and well written replies - so please stop posting and save me from myself.

Your adoring subject
Sunlover

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Mar 5th 2004 at 12:09 am.
Old Mar 4th 2004, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

bsmith1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish everyone would stop bashing about-the last time I checked the free world was a democracy and we are all entitled to a constructive comment.but come on guys this website is suppossed to be about moving around and checking out new places and learning new things and life experiences-stick to the subject but be mindful of what is being said and make your own decisions based on what you read/hear not only from here ,but from other sources about your move the new country you have chosen.

oh buy the way highland penguin are you STILL in glasga-what have you guys decided to do?

tall guy from voetsek and short wife!!!!
give us a call sometime.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.