Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

RE: Shipping a car to South Africa

RE: Shipping a car to South Africa

Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping a car to South Africa

Originally Posted by Killie77
Will take my chances with taxis can;t be any worse than the Taxi Drivers in London always doing U-turns in front of you
Taxis in the UK are normally saloon cars that take one or more associated passengers from one destination to another.

While there are a few of these to be found in SA too, taxi in SA refers normally to minibuses that carry mainly black passengers on routes rather like buses do in the UK. They drop off and pick up, and are notorious for breaking the traffic rules and driving dangerously.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:57 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pablo
Taxis in the UK are normally saloon cars that take one or more associated passengers from one destination to another.

While there are a few of these to be found in SA too, taxi in SA refers normally to minibuses that carry mainly black passengers on routes rather like buses do in the UK. They drop off and pick up, and are notorious for breaking the traffic rules and driving dangerously.
A bit like dial a bus in the UK then, but slightly more challenging, eh?
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
A bit like dial a bus in the UK then, but slightly more challenging, eh?
Hi Mitzy. Good to see you. Yes, I suppose they are a bit like that. My memory of "taxis" in SA is that they drive wildly, are often clearly unroadworthy, overcrowded, driven by aggressive criminal types.

They used to have violent turf-wars every so often when they would shoot each other and sometimes innocent bystanders too.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:07 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mitzy. Good to see you. Yes, I suppose they are a bit like that. My memory of "taxis" in SA is that they drive wildly, are often clearly unroadworthy, overcrowded, driven by aggressive criminal types.

They used to have violent turf-wars every so often when they would shoot each other and sometimes innocent bystanders too.
Almost. Owned by criminals, rather than driven by them - normally - the drivers don't get paid unless they deliver a certain number of passengers in a certain amount of time. Very lawless, and you don't cross the owners for fear of violent retribution. Unfortunately, there aren't many alternatives for most people.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:24 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

That newly married asian couple were in a taxi when she was taken weren't they?

I'm usually around Pablo, but you are all just so remarkably well behaved these days .............
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:36 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

I'm usually around Pablo, but you are all just so remarkably well behaved these days .............
Yup - in the middle of a township in Cape Town.

Wasn't he always well behaved?
Old Feb 11th 2013, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, though that was a taxi in the UK sense, I believe - i.e, a saloon car just for the passenger's use (in theory, anyway - until the killing).

On a similiar grim subject, I took a casual glance at the headline pages of the SA press a couple of days ago after all the recent correspondence on this site on the subject of crime.

Mugging/murder in Cape Town, and another horrific rape in the Cape with the victim disembowelled and left still alive with her innards spilling out after what appears to have been a gang-rape. She died subsequently. And in Johannesburg, a report on the Northcliff (upmarket Jo'burg suburb I know well) murders - victims were tortured - had their teeth pulled out, then were used as a dart-board before being killed. Happened 5 yrs ago, but was in the paper because the killers had been caught.

That was enough for one day.

Last edited by Pablo; Feb 11th 2013 at 10:43 am.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

so remarkably well behaved these days
Ah, well, you can blame old age for that, coupled with the fact that I no longer think that SA can be turned around.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 1:41 pm

Yes, though that was a taxi in the UK sense, I believe - i.e, a saloon car just for the passenger's use (in theory, anyway - until the killing).

Mugging/murder in Cape Town, and another horrific rape in the Cape with the victim disembowelled and left still alive with her innards spilling out after what appears to have been a gang-rape. She died subsequently. And in Johannesburg, a report on the Northcliff (upmarket Jo'burg suburb I know well) murders - victims were tortured - had their teeth pulled out, then were used as a dart-board before being killed. Happened 5 yrs ago, but was in the paper because the killers had been caught.

That was enough for one day.
No, it was a proper combi taxi - although they had hired it privately for the evening. As you do.

I suppose that story is good news - catching them after 5 years is astounding. Normally if they don't catch them within 48 hours they're gone forever. Of course, whether they get through the broken criminal justice system now is another matter. The Cape Town one was in a township - not that it makes it any more palatable.

Ah, well, you can blame old age for that, coupled with the fact that I no longer think that SA can be turned around.
Did you ever think that?
Old Feb 11th 2013, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ededed
The Cape Town one was in a township - not that it makes it any more palatable.
Ed, I think the Cape Town one was pretty much in the centre (Bo-kaap)

http://www.iol.co.za/capetimes/mugge...unge-1.1465772

The ghastly rape was Bredesdorp, which I suppose you would call a township.

...Though as you suggest, these fine details of geography don't matter too much.

Did you ever think that?
Yes.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:14 pm

Ed, I think the Cape Town one was pretty much in the centre (Bo-kaap)

http://www.iol.co.za/capetimes/mugge...unge-1.1465772

The ghastly rape was Bredesdorp, which I suppose you would call a township.

...Though as you suggest, these fine details of geography don't matter too much.

Yes.
Ah - I don't know CT well enough (can't stand the place, to be honest). And of course they dont. I guess it's more around knowing the safer places than the rest in terms of where I am likely to go... I'll be sure to avoid Bredesdorp though.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ededed
(can't stand the place, to be honest).
I never liked it either. Apart from the pretty scenery it was dull as dishwater.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Killie77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello again
looking at all the replies it appears that taking the Scooter might not be the best plan. It's only a 125 doesn't have a great turn of speed so would not help in getting out of trouble on the highway etc.
Was watching the movie Dredd last night guy was in some type of Body Armour
riding a Motorbike that had machine guns mounted in the fairing if I coud find something like that t I might stand a chance
On another note I'm trying to find some info on Resident Visas, had a call from a company called Global Visas today who are looking for £1800 fro the Wife & Me
this would be to process the Visas would still have to pay all government charges myself. Told them i would think about it
Been trying to contact the SA high Commision in London but they must take a long dinner break cause their number goes to voice mail whenever you call
Will keep looking
Thanks
Ian H
Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:40 pm

I never liked it either. Apart from the pretty scenery it was dull as dishwater.
A mountain, some hippies and bugger all else. The wine was ok, sometimes.

Originally Posted by Killie77
Hello again
looking at all the replies it appears that taking the Scooter might not be the best plan. It's only a 125 doesn't have a great turn of speed so would not help in getting out of trouble on the highway etc.
Was watching the movie Dredd last night guy was in some type of Body Armour
riding a Motorbike that had machine guns mounted in the fairing if I coud find something like that t I might stand a chance
On another note I'm trying to find some info on Resident Visas, had a call from a company called Global Visas today who are looking for £1800 fro the Wife & Me
this would be to process the Visas would still have to pay all government charges myself. Told them i would think about it
Been trying to contact the SA high Commision in London but they must take a long dinner break cause their number goes to voice mail whenever you call
Will keep looking
Thanks
Ian H

Hi Ian,

I agree about the scooter. I also think there is a 250cc minimum limit on the highway - not that it would be enforced by the piggies hiding in the bushes. You can pick up a cheap scooter for less than R15,000.

The high commission are worse than useless. The phone won't be answered, and if you go and visit you will get conflicting information. But it can be done. You can do it yourself if you have patience and a sense of humour, I certainly wouldn't pay a company to do it for me. The bulk of the costs are from the government so they won't do a huge amount for their money. Download forms and send them to you, I suppose. You will need to do your own police clearance, x-rays etc.

Go to the home affairs website http://www.services.gov.za/services/...esidence/en_ZA

Not brilliant, and some of the links don't work (surprise surprise) but some information is in there. Can I ask on what basis are you planning to come to SA? I saw you said residents permit - but you will need a job offer or a business start up plan (and cash) at least before they will consider that....

Best of luck,

Ed
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Killie77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ed
Thanks for the reply
We would be going on the basis of retirement. With possibly some part time work My brother assures me he can give us some work in his company though I believe on a Temp Res Permit were not allowed to work, however we have enough savings & other sources to be fairly well off.
The Brothers more than well off owns a large Mining Engineering company in SA
has money to throw around, so if he wants to throw in my direction I'm not going to argue.
He has told us we should apply as 2nd Kin Temp residents not sure how that works but will download the Forms and fill them in. Were up in Scotland so not sure if I could send completed forms to Embassy in London or would have to personally hand them in ?
Thanks again
Ian H

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.