Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

Planning Utility costs and any other hidden nasties?

Planning Utility costs and any other hidden nasties?

Old Nov 23rd 2012, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Shewolf48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Planning Utility costs and any other hidden nasties?

Hi Guys
Things are moving on and we are now trying to plan our living costs in Jberg before we move out. Our kids aged 20 to 24 are staying in the UK, so we need to establish an amount that we may be able to help them with their living costs (guilt thing!). We are banking on paying out approx 15/20,000r for renting a nice place with pool, but need to work out utility costs for such a place and any other hidden nasties. Can anyone help? xx
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:47 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning Utility costs and any other hidden nasties?

Originally Posted by Shewolf48
Hi Guys
Things are moving on and we are now trying to plan our living costs in Jberg before we move out. Our kids aged 20 to 24 are staying in the UK, so we need to establish an amount that we may be able to help them with their living costs (guilt thing!). We are banking on paying out approx 15/20,000r for renting a nice place with pool, but need to work out utility costs for such a place and any other hidden nasties. Can anyone help? xx
Ok - a few things to consider (in no particular order).

1. Garden Service - will cost around R150/day (with the rains and sun you will need this once a week). Normally not included in the rent

2. Water / Electricity / Rates - expect to pay R3,000 a month, with a 15% annual escalation

3. Maid / Domestic - the going rate for a full time maid is R3,000/month - unless she has a room in which case it is a little less to allow for living costs

4. Toll fees - not yet confirmed (delayed over a year) but if you use the highways, expect to fork out R500 / month per car (it's apparently going to be capped at that)

5. Security - normally an extra on your rent, around R400 for armed response. Usually an insurance pre-requisite

6. Levies - a fee you pay to the complex management (if you live in one - for cutting communal grass, complex security, street lights etc). Anything between R800 and R2,000, depending on the area. Often landlords pick up this cost, but worth checking.

7. DSTV (Sky TV). Full package with HD / Sky+ (poor equivalent) will cost R650 / month

8. Tracking on your car - another insurance requirement - R300 per car, per month

9. Mobile phone will cost (depending on calls, package, handset etc) approx R800 / month (that's what my wife spends - she's an average user)

Don't forget stuff like medical aid, school fees, petrol (R11.50/litre at the moment), - all of which will vary on your circumstances.

Hope this helps,

Ed
Old Nov 28th 2012, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

I can't thank you enough for your help Ed (It is Ed?). You seem such an amazing person, to take time out to help answer everyone's questions. There aren't enough people like you in this world! I tried to find the costs on various sites, but none of them gave all, or realistic figures, yours seem spot on. It's because of you that i feel more relaxed about our impending move over.

Thanks

Sarah x
Old Nov 28th 2012, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ededed
Ok - a few things to consider (in no particular order).

1. Garden Service - will cost around R150/day (with the rains and sun you will need this once a week). Normally not included in the rent

2. Water / Electricity / Rates - expect to pay R3,000 a month, with a 15% annual escalation

3. Maid / Domestic - the going rate for a full time maid is R3,000/month - unless she has a room in which case it is a little less to allow for living costs

4. Toll fees - not yet confirmed (delayed over a year) but if you use the highways, expect to fork out R500 / month per car (it's apparently going to be capped at that)

5. Security - normally an extra on your rent, around R400 for armed response. Usually an insurance pre-requisite

6. Levies - a fee you pay to the complex management (if you live in one - for cutting communal grass, complex security, street lights etc). Anything between R800 and R2,000, depending on the area. Often landlords pick up this cost, but worth checking.

7. DSTV (Sky TV). Full package with HD / Sky+ (poor equivalent) will cost R650 / month

8. Tracking on your car - another insurance requirement - R300 per car, per month

9. Mobile phone will cost (depending on calls, package, handset etc) approx R800 / month (that's what my wife spends - she's an average user)

Don't forget stuff like medical aid, school fees, petrol (R11.50/litre at the moment), - all of which will vary on your circumstances.

Hope this helps,

Ed
Hi it's me again, what's 'tracking on cars' is it an insurance must for everyone?

thanks

Sarah x
Old Nov 28th 2012, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Hi it's me again, what's 'tracking on cars' is it an insurance must for everyone?

thanks

Sarah x
Sorry, any idea on house insurance costs?

Sarah x
Old Nov 28th 2012, 9:48 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

I can't thank you enough for your help Ed (It is Ed?). You seem such an amazing person, to take time out to help answer everyone's questions. There aren't enough people like you in this world! I tried to find the costs on various sites, but none of them gave all, or realistic figures, yours seem spot on. It's because of you that i feel more relaxed about our impending move over.

Thanks

Sarah x
Very true.

Seriously - thanks. We learned the hard way - happy to help other so they don't struggle like we did. (and yes, Ed)

thanks

Sarah x
It's a gizmo that they hide in your car - so if it is stolen they send choppers and big chaps with guns to go get it back. Check www.netstar.co.za

It's a must for cars over around R300k.

Sorry, any idea on house insurance costs?

Sarah x
Try www.outsurance.co.za

Expect to pay R500/m
Old Nov 28th 2012, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

pomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nice

I also found Indwe insurers good....
Old Nov 28th 2012, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by pomE
I also found Indwe insurers good....
They're a broker - with a very good reputation too. Good advice.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ededed
Very true.

Seriously - thanks. We learned the hard way - happy to help other so they don't struggle like we did. (and yes, Ed)

It's a gizmo that they hide in your car - so if it is stolen they send choppers and big chaps with guns to go get it back. Check www.netstar.co.za

It's a must for cars over around R300k.

Try www.outsurance.co.za

Expect to pay R500/m
My cars a Honda CRV aged 8 years old now and probably not worth more than £5,000. i think that Mike is hoping to bring mine over and his 1998 Land Rover. Is it worth having them both fitted with tracking? Ta x
Old Nov 28th 2012, 12:55 pm

My cars a Honda CRV aged 8 years old now and probably not worth more than £5,000. i think that Mike is hoping to bring mine over and his 1998 Land Rover. Is it worth having them both fitted with tracking? Ta x
Probably not! Make sure your insurance is fully comprehensive though...! I know you can bring a car if it is paid off, and you have owned it for more than a year - duty free I think. Worth doing. Cars here are very expensive...
Old Nov 28th 2012, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys...

Also, i think we would probably;y like to go with DSTV for sat tv, but do they do an internet package, or would that be separate? What would internet cost for good quick broadband?

Sarah x
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:27 pm

Thanks guys...

Also, i think we would probably;y like to go with DSTV for sat tv, but do they do an internet package, or would that be separate? What would internet cost for good quick broadband?

Sarah x
No they don't - Telkom have a monopoly on fixed line - and although the service sucks, when it works it works well. MWEB (and others) are ISPs, or you can keep everything with Telkom.

Broadband is 4mbs - not fast - and a 16GB capacity on a 4meg line costs R700/m.

For mobiles, check out Vodacom and MTN. Service is overpriced and calls drop constantly.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

This is all so very helpful. I'm sure i
ll'll think of more. thanks x
Old Nov 29th 2012, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

ex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really nice

Just reading up on posts and wondered if you're aware of medical insurance costs. We left SA just over 12 months ago and planning on going back. On enquiring to Discovery Health about reinstating our Medical Scheme were told the following:

We would have to apply from scratch as new members and will be subject to certain conditions: first three months of membership cannot claim for anything; first year any pre exisiting chronic conditions will not be covered for that year. The costs for decent cover are around Five and half thousand Rand per month for member and spouse.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

I you've heard of any other medical aid that would not impose these restrictions I would appreciate your passing on info.

Thanks
Old Nov 29th 2012, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by ex brummy
We would have to apply from scratch as new members and will be subject to certain conditions: first three months of membership cannot claim for anything; first year any pre exisiting chronic conditions will not be covered for that year. The costs for decent cover are around Five and half thousand Rand per month for member and spouse.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

I you've heard of any other medical aid that would not impose these restrictions I would appreciate your passing on info.

Thanks
Medical Aid is a real dog and pony show - don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It's expensive, and doesn't cover everything - however, we have Discovery (Classic Comprehensive plan) and my son has a wheat intolerance - which means he needs regular, expensive preventative medication and it's covered. Touch wood, we've been very happy with Discovery. I was on private healthcare in the UK and it is just as good - and the hospitals are of similar standards. Expensive insurance but an absolute necessity.

There are other schemes (Bonitas, medscheme etc) but Discovery has the widest reach and the largest cover (and I guess the resultant economies of scale). Service is world-class...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.