Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

Which Permit?? High Commission Unhelpful

Which Permit?? High Commission Unhelpful

Old Jul 24th 2012, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Shinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which Permit?? High Commission Unhelpful

I went to the High Commission in London yesterday to apply for a study permit and was turned away before anyone looked properly at my papers. I wasn't given any advice and was simply told it is impossible for me to do what I plan to do. I don't believe what I'm planning is particularly out of the ordinary and feel sure there must be some way I can make the system work for me. I'd appreciate any advice.

My plans are:
Move to SA to do a voluntary internship September - December, learning how organic farming techniques can be used to tackle invasive species.

January 2013 - December 2014 complete an MSc with the Centre for Invasion Biology at Stellenbosch University.

I have been working on my permit application for the past three months. I have all the documents I need (confirmation of my plans from the farm and university, medical certificates, finance stuff, medical insurance etc. etc.), but I now don't know which permit to apply for.

Yesterday the reasons stated for turning me away were:
1) That I was trying to apply for two things under one application.
2) It is before 90 days before my official university course starts and so I can't submit my study permit application for January yet.

To my mind, this is unfair because both of the activities I want to do involve learning and studying and are clearly relevant to one another, so I should be able to apply for one temporary residence permit. It doesn't say anywhere on the website that the study permit limits the student to one course.

A pertinent question now in addition to which permit to apply for is whether plan b) is possible:
- Go to South Africa to do the internship in September with a one-way ticket, leaving the security deposit with the immigration officials at the airport
- Apply for an extension of the 90 day travel visa during September whilst in SA.
- Apply for the study permit whilst in SA in October, ready for the January start at Stellenbosch.

Does anyone have any advice? Does anyone have any useful numbers to call? I've been calling the High Commission non-stop but no one ever picks up!!
Old Jul 24th 2012, 6:02 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Permit?? High Commission Unhelpful

Welcome to BE, and welcome to your first South African experience. Sadly, the high commission in London is staffed by South Africans who have the mentality of stopping you from coming here because that involves giving them extra work, rather than to correctly apply immigration laws.

You will experience this attitude everywhere - not being negative, that's the way it is. If you understand this basic principle and try and work around it, you will reduce your frustration levels!

I don't have the specific answer to your question - but I would suggest the people there will give you the information that is applicable on that particular day. The website gives only passing mention of ambiguous previous rules, all of which can, and do, change based on the staffs' moods. If you get the person you speak with to write down all the things you need - and then agree that when you go back with all the things on their list you will see them again (with the list - still in their handwriting) it does make it hard for them to deny the permit. Just my 2c - and probably not very helpful in reality.

Your alternative is to marry a South African. That's very expensive, and it's probably easier to walk here and sneak over the border at the Kruger Park.

Good luck.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

Richard189 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to say, the South African Embassy in London try to make it extremely difficult for people when wanting to move and invest in South Africa - It was horrific to get my permits and when I came to renew, despite employing 40 staff (who otherwise would not have jobs) again it was made incredibly difficult and bureaucratic - why do they make investment so difficult?
Old Oct 1st 2012, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

pomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nice

I believe the HC in Londonshire is indeed purposely run in such a manner merely to prepare any would-be migrants to what it's really like once you actually get over there! They'd hate you to think they operate in an efficient, logical and professional manner in the Motherland!

I was lucky enough (!), to live and work over there for just short of three years where I met my wife indeedy! I could go on all day about the inefficiencies and soul-destroying of some of the eejits you are likely to come across in every day life, from Immigration official, banks, telecomms etc etc.

Having said that, Cape Town at least is one of the most magical places I've ever had the fortune to live/ visit, and I'm not ruling out a return there one day.

Which brings me to Spousal Visas.......
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 5:41 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard189
I have to say, the South African Embassy in London try to make it extremely difficult for people when wanting to move and invest in South Africa - It was horrific to get my permits and when I came to renew, despite employing 40 staff (who otherwise would not have jobs) again it was made incredibly difficult and bureaucratic - why do they make investment so difficult?
Because they are wankers.