Moving to SA from UK

Old Aug 16th 2018, 10:24 am
Just Joined

smartin285 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to SA from UK

Hi Guys, Need some general advice please..

My partner was born and raised in SA, but moved to the UK when he was 18. (His parents are originally from UK)

We both live in UK currently and We are getting married in SA in May 2019. My question is... within the next 18 months we would like to move to SA.

I have no idea if i will be allowed to live in SA as i'm a UK citizen, also unsure of if id be able to work or if a Visa would be required etc? Would i be able to get a bank account?

I know i sound naive but he was 18 when he moved here so he isn't entirely sure on the process himself.

Also we would like to buy property in SA. How would this work with no credit history in SA? Or can we transfer our own history from UK somehow?

Thanks in advance for any help.
I appreciate it.

Sara
Old Aug 18th 2018, 5:51 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to SA from UK

Is he still a South African citizen? If so, you can get an accompanying spouse visa. If you’re married this is easier (but still possible if you can prove you have been cohabiting). I first moved to SA on one of those and could work - but only for a named employer.

Once you have the visa and live there, apply for residency - you can get this started after a year. Then you can get an ID number, and then you can buy property together. Getting finance without an ID number is a pain - you may need your partner or employer to stand surety.

I’ll assume you know the risks and don’t need advice on safety and security. It’s a beautiful place - the red tape and attitude of government officials will drive you mad - but the lifestyle can be brilliant if you know how to manage it.

Good luck!