Living in South Africa

Old Mar 24th 2010, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

Phival is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in South Africa

Hi all,
I have a UK pension from my 30 years in probation service (in UK). The problem re tax, and I am still investigating this, is that the UK authorities will not allow people previously employed in 'public service' to relocate their tax base to another country. So the tax free gig only applies if you have a private pension from a company.
Just an aside, and I'm sure its a typo, but as far as I am aware state pension doesn't come in until youn are 65 (not 55).
A thought re housing. If you are looking for a place for yourself, how about releasing some of your capital through a mortgage in the UK and using the money to buy something in SA? Rent from your property could make payments. Mortgages in SA (known as 'bonds') are incredibly expensive and there is the NCA (National Credit Act) which requires that the lender (usually a bank) has to go into every detail of your life before they will lend.
If you take citizenship then the SA state would request you to give up your UK citizenship. My relations who took citizenship 'forgot' to do this so travel out on their SA passports and land on their UK ones, thereby not attracting immigration in UK who demand a lot from SA citizens as lots of SA passports are not exactly kosher! Remember, burgundy gets you into Europe without the need of a Shengen visa.
Anyway, I don't think SA is giving out citizenship nowadays! Why would they? It doesn't need any more bodies, unless they have very very special skills.
Re the tourist visa. Its for 3 months but I have come across a number of Brits who pop into their local Home Affairs dept and (legally) get an extension for another 3 months without any hassles. At the end of that they go back to UK for a month and then come back to start the whole process over again.
DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO GET AN EXTENSION FROM THE PHOTOGRAPHERS OUTSIDE HOME AFFAIRS OR ANY OTHER 'IMMIGRATION EXPERT'.
It used to be that if you went to a neighbouring country (Bot/Zim/Nab)for a couple of days you could come back in but its now been stopped.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:15 am
Just Joined

rayexUkinSA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in South Africa

[QUOTE=Phival;8445257]Hi all,
I have a UK pension from my 30 years in probation service (in UK). The problem re tax, and I am still investigating this, is that the UK authorities will not allow people previously employed in 'public service' to relocate their tax base to another country. So the tax free gig only applies if you have a private pension from a company.
Just an aside, and I'm sure its a typo, but as far as I am aware state pension doesn't come in until youn are 65 (not 55).

Hi Prival, You are correct that Male State Pension age is currently 65 BUT those in Company / Personal Pensions can retire from 55 (50 until 6th April 2010) I may have a solution for you on your Public Sector Pension IF YOU ARE NOT WITHIN 12 MONTHS OF THE SCHEME NORMAL RETIREMENT AGE. It involves the right to a Cash Equivalent Transfer Value which you should request. From there onwards it gets very complex BUT can be very advantageous to you and your family.

Regards, Ray