Investing

Old Sep 12th 2013, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Investing

Well all this is a predictable mess. No surprise there. And we haven't even got to the problems with PR.

If others want to avoid this kind of thing, I recommend using your UK debit and/or credit card in SA (which you can do without a problem, both for purchases and cash withdrawals) until such time that your position in SA is clearly regularised and you know exactly where you stand.

As for investments, it should go without saying that the SA Rand is not a good investment. The exchange rate may bob around in the short term, but longer term it is going the same way as the SA economy.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 3:38 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pablo
Well all this is a predictable mess. No surprise there. And we haven't even got to the problems with PR.

If others want to avoid this kind of thing, I recommend using your UK debit and/or credit card in SA (which you can do without a problem, both for purchases and cash withdrawals) until such time that your position in SA is clearly regularised and you know exactly where you stand.

As for investments, it should go without saying that the SA Rand is not a good investment. The exchange rate may bob around in the short term, but longer term it is going the same way as the SA economy.
That's a good shout. If you keep your cash in the UK for now you will benefit from the weak rand too. It's been bouncing around between 13 and 16 lately - there's a good chance it will recover as the UK gets dragged into Syria. My advice would be to wait until it drops below 15 before you even think of getting money over, until then use cash from your debit account. Plenty of banks in the UK will offer free overseas cash withdrawals. I still use my Natwest account for this very reason - my family put money there for presents for the kids - saves shipping them too.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukguy
Martyn, non residents used to be allowed to open a bank account in SA but I have been told by all the banks I went into that since the new FICA rules it is not allowed.

Even if I am granted the permanent residence permit I have been told that I will still need to show them payslips. I have explained that I am living off the proceeds from the sale of my property and wont have any payslips.

It's not just one or two banks that told me this but all I have been into, I also tried 3 more yesterday in a different mall with the same result.
Yeah, I know about FICA, but I was only aware of the requirement to prove identity and home address. It's similar to RICA, which applies to cellphones. I'm not suprised about the non-resident restriction though. I thought there might be a problem with visitors, and I suppose they're treated much the same way.

The payslip issue still puzzles me. Lots of people in SA have bank accounts, and don't recieve payslips. I'm one of them!
Old Sep 12th 2013, 5:32 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartynK
The payslip issue still puzzles me. Lots of people in SA have bank accounts, and don't recieve payslips. I'm one of them!
I knew it - you're part of Mickey Shultz's gang, aren't you?
Old Sep 13th 2013, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ededed
True, but it does make living somewhat tricky with no income...
Ahh . I thought this thread was about investing.
Old Sep 13th 2013, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by kiwibok
Ahh . I thought this thread was about investing.
Good point, smart arse!