Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

International Driving License

International Driving License

Old Mar 4th 2016, 2:21 am
Account Closed

andrean.ferns is an unknown quantity at this point
Default International Driving License

We are moving from the UK to Cape Town for 2 years. Does anyone know if we need an international driving license to buy a car or can we use our UK licenses?
Old Mar 8th 2016, 8:27 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International Driving License

Originally Posted by andrean.ferns
We are moving from the UK to Cape Town for 2 years. Does anyone know if we need an international driving license to buy a car or can we use our UK licenses?
Legally you can use your UK ones but the finance houses will have a brain freeze. Go to the post office and get an IDP. It costs about a fiver and will save you some hassle.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 12:13 am
Account Closed

what do you mean "the finance houses will have a brain freeze"?

Last edited by andrean.ferns; Mar 9th 2016 at 12:16 am.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 10:05 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

what do you mean "the finance houses will have a brain freeze"?
They won't know what to do with it. So they won't give you finance.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

We don't want finance we want to buy 2 cars with cash just need to know if we need an international driving licence ??
Old Mar 9th 2016, 11:46 pm

We don't want finance we want to buy 2 cars with cash just need to know if we need an international driving licence ??
Then you should be a little clearer in your question.

No, if you're paying cash the seller won't give a damn if you are from the UK, Mars or Jupiter. They won't care if you have or don't have a driving licence, from any country. They won't care if you can't even drive. Once you've paid them, you won't see them again.

Unless you are buying from a main dealer, but my telepathic powers can't determine that.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 12:00 am
Account Closed

Sorry I did say in my original question "BUY" cars.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 12:09 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

People often "buy" a car with finance, .... the "buyers" name is on the title, and legally it belongs to the person who bought it, albeit with a lien in favour of the bank/finance company.

If ownership was in the name of the bank/finance company it would be a lease.

If you meant buying without finance, saying "buy outright" would have made it clear.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 12:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Even if you use a finance house to fund your purchase, you are still 'buying' a car.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

The OP asked about buying a car. No-one mentioned finance, and I've never heard anyone use the expression 'buy outright' in this context. It's usually 'I'll be paying cash' or something like that. What on earth does a driving licence have to do with it though?

FWIW, it's an International Driving Permit, not an International Driving License.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

In any case, I presume the question should have been "...to legally insure and drive a car...
Old Mar 10th 2016, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski
People often "buy" a car with finance, .... the "buyers" name is on the title, and legally it belongs to the person who bought it, albeit with a lien in favour of the bank/finance company.

If ownership was in the name of the bank/finance company it would be a lease.

If you meant buying without finance, saying "buy outright" would have made it clear.
In South Africa, 99% of people buy a car on finance. This is probably true in the UK too.

Originally Posted by MartynK
The OP asked about buying a car. No-one mentioned finance, and I've never heard anyone use the expression 'buy outright' in this context. It's usually 'I'll be paying cash' or something like that. What on earth does a driving licence have to do with it though?

FWIW, it's an International Driving Permit, not an International Driving License.
If you're re buying a car in SA (or anywhere) on finance, you'll need your licence. Note I did mention IDP, you know, because I is clever.

Originally Posted by teejaydee
In any case, I presume the question should have been "...to legally insure and drive a car...
Well, you don't need to insure a car in South Africa, but you need a licence to drive one. Getting an IDP will stop you from being more susceptible to bribes as the cops will give you "you're driving illegally and we'll lock you up unless you buy us a Coke" speech, which they give all foreign licence holders.

Personally, I'd get one - you don't need one legally, you can drive on a UK licence for 5 years - but it's not worth the hassle of explaining to a 300kg halfwit who just wants to fleece you that you're legally in the right. That's just not how the police operate there. The OP is going to be pulled over once a month and asked for a bribe, that's just how it works there.

By the way - hello Martyn, hope all is well! Long time....!
Old Mar 10th 2016, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed

If you're re buying a car in SA (or anywhere) on finance, you'll need your licence. Note I did mention IDP, you know, because I is clever.
Is this a new thing? I've bought a few cars over the years and I've never been asked for my license, just SA ID or passport as proof of identity.

I know you is, but the OP said International Driving License.

Well, you don't need to insure a car in South Africa, but you need a licence to drive one. Getting an IDP will stop you from being more susceptible to bribes as the cops will give you "you're driving illegally and we'll lock you up unless you buy us a Coke" speech, which they give all foreign licence holders.
Maybe. It's getting more blatant/threatening. More cases being reported where the cops just demand money and don't even bother with a pretext...

By the way - hello Martyn, hope all is well! Long time....!
Hi Ed. All good, I'm in the UK right now, but I'll be back in SA soon. How are things going with you?
Old Mar 10th 2016, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by MartynK
Is this a new thing? I've bought a few cars over the years and I've never been asked for my license, just SA ID or passport as proof of identity.

I know you is, but the OP said International Driving License.

Maybe. It's getting more blatant/threatening. More cases being reported where the cops just demand money and don't even bother with a pretext...

Hi Ed. All good, I'm in the UK right now, but I'll be back in SA soon. How are things going with you?
Yeah, If you are buying from a main dealer in order to register the car you need a licence - I assume this is a government thing, probably connected to E-toll? I certainly had to do it every time I bought a car or a bike, and I bought a lot of those.

The cops are getting blatant - as you say. It's not even subtle any more. I saw 2 BBC cricket commentators got done over by them during the test series. And still no-one really cares. It's only a coke...

We're still in the Caribbean - have been for 20 months now, but probably heading back to the UK as the kids need a decent school, and we haven't found one out here!