Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

How on earth can my son get a job in SA?

How on earth can my son get a job in SA?

Old Aug 2nd 2011, 11:35 am
Just Joined

Verybusymum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How on earth can my son get a job in SA?

Originally Posted by Ray51
Maybe , but such attitudes don't ( yet ) prevail in many an EU country ( don't mention Spain , Portugal , Greece etc ) but in places like the Netherlands , Germany , Belgium , France , Scandinavia noone is actively seeking to prevent a foreigner getting and doing a job ( or : some self-employment ) so long as the paperwork is neat and the correct taxes are paid .
( Also applies here to Yanks , Ozzies , NZs , Saffers , Canadians a many others too ; not only to EUropeans ! Most of us are equal , but some are more equal than the others , so I would not like be a North Korean looking for visas and jobs , if only he/she could get outta there ? )
So, has anyone over there with a life prtner visa managed to get work and a permit? If so , does it really take 2-4 months?
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 11:40 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daxk
Ed, as per your comment, are you a SA or are you on a PR?
PR - married to a Saffa.

Originally Posted by Verybusymum
So, has anyone over there with a life prtner visa managed to get work and a permit? If so , does it really take 2-4 months?
Why doesn't he get married??
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

:
Originally Posted by ededed
PR - married to a Saffa.

Sophie!! Come here a minute!!
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 11:53 am
Just Joined

PR - married to a Saffa.

he's only 21, far to young.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 1:47 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

I don't. Am I in trouble?
No, it just makes it a bit more challenging. My sister worked for a big company in Joeys for many years but reached the ripe of age of 58 so has been "retired" by said company. She has been walking the pavement for the last three months and now finally deciding to head back to the UK. The only good news in this for me is that I will finally have both sister out of the country. Next is working on the nieces and nephews.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Heartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
No, it just makes it a bit more challenging. My sister worked for a big company in Joeys for many years but reached the ripe of age of 58 so has been "retired" by said company. She has been walking the pavement for the last three months and now finally deciding to head back to the UK. The only good news in this for me is that I will finally have both sister out of the country. Next is working on the nieces and nephews.
The streets of London are no longer paved with gold.. she's going to battle in the UK unless she wants to stock shelves at Tesco for £6/hr and get timed on her breaks etc, i go along with Ed, if you have the right attitude and keep knocking on doors you are going to get a job and i don't mean stocking up shelves.. just saying
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Heartfm
The streets of London are no longer paved with gold.. she's going to battle in the UK unless she wants to stock shelves at Tesco for £6/hr and get timed on her breaks etc, i go along with Ed, if you have the right attitude and keep knocking on doors you are going to get a job and i don't mean stocking up shelves.. just saying
Well he has written to all sorts of companies. But as soon as they know about the paperwork, they lose interest. Well I guess it fingers crossed that someday a company will be patiant enough to wait for the permit?
I think he should come home and apply for jobs and permits from here.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Well he has written to all sorts of companies. But as soon as they know about the paperwork, they lose interest. Well I guess it fingers crossed that someday a company will be patiant enough to wait for the permit?
I think he should come home and apply for jobs and permits from here.
I won't say it's impossible, but I will say it is unlikely. I suppose he might chance across something illegal (i.e., work without formal status), but I would never advise someone to move out on spec unless they were in a highly sought-after skilled category.

As for illegal work, there's not much future or security there.

As for heartfm's comment, true as far as it goes, though large numbers are still being hired in the UK and there is a skills shortage in the UK too in the right areas. Plus, of course, you don't have to deal with all the race nonsense.

If you're one that follows the financial news, then you'll know too that the 'emerging economies' are heading for a fall.

I suppose your son's best hope is to be hired by someone who knows him and is prepared to go through the admin hassle and lie about his skills.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 3:34 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heartfm
My sister is in IT too. Just not degreed and it was fine for many years. When company decided to clean house, they got rid of those without the degree ( coincidentally most white). No doubt will be filled with further uneducated nationals as that is perceived policy by those that were once good enough to work there. Sister has connections in the UK so not worried. We all are British nationals by birth so going back is not a train smash.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 5:10 pm
Sueffun

sueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray51
Maybe , but such attitudes don't ( yet ) prevail in many an EU country ( don't mention Spain , Portugal , Greece etc ) but in places like the Netherlands , Germany , Belgium , France , Scandinavia noone is actively seeking to prevent a foreigner getting and doing a job ( or : some self-employment ) so long as the paperwork is neat and the correct taxes are paid .
( Also applies here to Yanks , Ozzies , NZs , Saffers , Canadians a many others too ; not only to EUropeans ! Most of us are equal , but some are more equal than the others , so I would not like be a North Korean looking for visas and jobs , if only he/she could get outta there ? )
Fare comment, but they also don't have the history that South Africa has in
regard to apartheid etc. There is already a lot of xenophobia here with the Africans that come from Zim and other states, a lot of the "locals" reckon they are stealing their jobs.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sueffun
Fare comment, but they also don't have the history that South Africa has in
regard to apartheid etc. There is already a lot of xenophobia here with the Africans that come from Zim and other states, a lot of the "locals" reckon they are stealing their jobs.
They are now talking about getting married to give him a better chance as he will then get a visa instead of a permit? Not the best reason to get married and would it make it any easier to get a job like they seem to think?
Old Aug 7th 2011, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Is it not about time to stop mentioning apartheid ? And for Mugabe to stop blaming Britain for all Zim's ills - when he has "ruled" there since the 70s ?
The Kenyans also have what to say about their ex-colonial masters but look how long they have their independence and what ( little ) they achieved during same ( like the Ugandans , Tanzanians , Zambians and any number of others ) .
We have similar story in EU , which was pushed into one-size-fits-all politics and currency - so that now there is a handful of prosperous economies ( Germany , Netherlands , Austria , Sweden , Finland ) and many more bankrupt ones ( Greece , Portugal , Ireland , Italy , Spain , Hungary , Estonia , Latvia , Lithuania etc. ) .
Look , ma : no apartheid , so now who/what else could we blame ?

Last edited by Ray51; Aug 7th 2011 at 7:17 am.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

They are now talking about getting married to give him a better chance as he will then get a visa instead of a permit? Not the best reason to get married and would it make it any easier to get a job like they seem to think?
Sounds like he is getting himself into a hopeless mess. But people will never be told. I suppose they need to learn for themselves.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pablo
Sounds like he is getting himself into a hopeless mess. But people will never be told. I suppose they need to learn for themselves.
I guess so
Old Aug 7th 2011, 2:46 pm
Sueffun

sueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nicesueffun is just really nice

Hi Ray 52 I agree with you wholeheartedly, but just tell that to Julius Malema and Cosatu and all of that lot who still harp on about the "white agents" What about BEE and affirmative action and the talk of nationalisation. I don't want to get involved in the politics of South Africa on this site, but I see you live in Brussels and I don't know if you have lived or visited here lately but maybe do a google search on JuJu as he is known here because that man is dangerous. That is the reason I mentioned apartheid because the current government bring it up all the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.