Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

Finding it hard to acquire info to emigrate to s.africa

Finding it hard to acquire info to emigrate to s.africa

Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

oscar13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding it hard to acquire info to emigrate to s.africa

Hi,
We will be in a position to move to south africa....Area of Somerset West....as soon as we sell our house in the UK. Finding it difficult to contact and get replies from SA embassy in London. Have phoned and written a few times, but not even a reply. Is there anyone with recent experience of moving to SA that could give us some information. Much obliged.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding it hard to acquire info to emigrate to s.africa

The SA High Commission in London has a phone number you can call, and has quite a lot of info online too. Your first port of call is both of those.

There's plenty of other stuff on line too. It really depends what your specific question is.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:56 pm
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by oscar13
Hi,
We will be in a position to move to south africa....Area of Somerset West....as soon as we sell our house in the UK. Finding it difficult to contact and get replies from SA embassy in London. Have phoned and written a few times, but not even a reply. Is there anyone with recent experience of moving to SA that could give us some information. Much obliged.
Hi, what are you going to S Africa for? job, retirement, visit.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pablo
The SA High Commission in London has a phone number you can call, and has quite a lot of info online too. Your first port of call is both of those.

There's plenty of other stuff on line too. It really depends what your specific question is.
Hi Pablo, Thanks for answering, The SA High Commission in London has only 1 telephone number working as the message says the rest are under repair....when we eventually got through I told them that we have sent numerous letters enquiring about emigrating to SA but no replies. We have been to SA a couple of times, and my wife has family in Tulbagh who have been there many years and some family in Table View. My wife has been to SA more than me as she went there quite a few years ago. We are looking to go there to retire.
Have been on line looking at Temp Residence , Permanant Residence, I have been in touch with Intergrate, and they seem to recommend we go out on a visitors visa and let them do all the applying from Cape Town. Is this a good thing ? as things dont seem to move very fast.....would all the forms be completed before the 3 months as we would have to have a return tickets? Any other info would be appreciated. Many Thanks
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Neil52
Hi, what are you going to S Africa for? job, retirement, visit.
Hi Neil,
Hopefully we would like to retire in SA....My wife has been there more times than myself, she has relations in Tulbagh ...they have been in SA 42 years and other relatives in Table View, the last two visits we covered quite a bit of ground..1000's of k's looking at various areas, coming to the conclusion Somerset West would be the place to retire. Any information from anyone how to get the necessary documentation or people to represent you i.e. Intgergrate , Global Visas etc would be appreciated. Anything good or Bad. Many Thanks.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pablo, Thanks for answering, The SA High Commission in London has only 1 telephone number working as the message says the rest are under repair....when we eventually got through I told them that we have sent numerous letters enquiring about emigrating to SA but no replies.
This is the kind of service you will have to get used to if you move to South Africa.

Have been on line looking at Temp Residence , Permanant Residence, I have been in touch with Intergrate, and they seem to recommend we go out on a visitors visa and let them do all the applying from Cape Town. Is this a good thing ? as things dont seem to move very fast.....would all the forms be completed before the 3 months as we would have to have a return tickets? Any other info would be appreciated. Many Thanks
I think you can typically expect a wait of 18 months for a decision on Permanent Residence. But it varies. Nor can you automatically assume that the answer will be yes. So if you ask my advice, then it is that it seems a bit reckless to sell up all you have here and move there on the hope that you might be granted PR.

The 3-month tourist visa you mention can be extended at the Dept of Home Affairs.

Having said that, provided you meet the criteria, then it is easier to get PR for retirement than for those who intend to settle and work.

If you don't feel comfortable doing the paperwork yourself, then yes, you're probably better using an agent to do it for you. I can't comment about the agency you mention, other than to say that they have tried to promote their business on this site from time to time.

I shall not comment on the wider questions - crime, medical insurance, etc - since I assume, if you have got to this stage, that you have examined and satisfied yourself about these questions.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 7:06 am
Just Joined

rayexUkinSA is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I used Intergate in April 2009. They saw me through a long complicated process whilst still in UK - Police clearance etc and then when I arrived in April. I am sure, despite driving a desk for 30+ years, I would not have been able to sort all the paperwork and would have spent many hours it Home Affairs - they make sure that they get all the right stuff and take it to home affairs for you. I've got to admit a vested interest now. When I took my Passport to them I mentioned how little help there was on tax and investment for UK Ex-pats and, low and behold I'm now using my UK Financial Services knowledge to help Intergate clients!!!
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Personally I would not on principle deal with a business that surreptitiously plants adverts for its business on the web. Being up front is one thing. Being underhand is another.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 7:41 am
Just Joined

rayexUkinSA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pablo
Personally I would not on principle deal with a business that surreptitiously plants adverts for its business on the web. Being up front is one thing. Being underhand is another.
Pablo. I thought that this list was to help and inform.

There is plenty of mention of the company on this forum AND I declared my connection rather than being surreptitious.

By way of further help / information - It is prudent for an applicant to appy for temporary residency either prior to or simultaneoulsy with the P.R application. Temporary residency takes between 30 and 40 days usually andif approved will give a good indicationon the outcome of P.R.

Pablo, I am more than happy to withdraw from this Forum should other contributors agree with you BUT will continue to contribute either informally or in a professional capacity if it helps and informs.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 7:48 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rayatincompass
Pablo. I thought that this list was to help and inform.

There is plenty of mention of the company on this forum AND I declared my connection rather than being surreptitious.

By way of further help / information - It is prudent for an applicant to appy for temporary residency either prior to or simultaneoulsy with the P.R application. Temporary residency takes between 30 and 40 days usually andif approved will give a good indicationon the outcome of P.R.

Pablo, I am more than happy to withdraw from this Forum should other contributors agree with you BUT will continue to contribute either informally or in a professional capacity if it helps and informs.
I cant pm you yet, but please make yourself aware of the posting rules re user name and self promotion / advertsing in the forums.

You are more than welcome of course, and we welcome your input within the rules ... but you will have to change your user name I'm afraid. please pm me a new one once you have made another post
Old Dec 7th 2010, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

Nooodle will become famous soon enoughNooodle will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rayexUkinSA
Hi I used Intergate in April 2009. They saw me through a long complicated process whilst still in UK - Police clearance etc and then when I arrived in April. I am sure, despite driving a desk for 30+ years, I would not have been able to sort all the paperwork and would have spent many hours it Home Affairs - they make sure that they get all the right stuff and take it to home affairs for you. I've got to admit a vested interest now. When I took my Passport to them I mentioned how little help there was on tax and investment for UK Ex-pats and, low and behold I'm now using my UK Financial Services knowledge to help Intergate clients!!!
I have just gone through the process of completing an application for a Temporary Residence permit for my partner - although the application form is fairly long, it's certainly not complicated.
General info re: Temporary Residence: http://www.dha.gov.za/Applying%20for...residence.html
Download the application form here: http://www.dha.gov.za/PDF/immigration/bi1738.pdf
Police certificates can be obtained by doing a general search on any search engine.
The SAQA body (qualifications assessment process) can quite easily be located in the same way.

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions?