Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa > South Africa
Reload this Page >

Caravan Touring in South Africa

Caravan Touring in South Africa

Old Nov 27th 2012, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Shewolf48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Caravan Touring in South Africa

We thought we may have to sell our beloved caravan, when we come over to Johannesburg next Spring, but having looked it up on the internet, it seems that the camping there is even better than the UK. Instead of New Forest ponies roaming around the campsite, we have seen web sites of Antelope roaming around (Oh i say!).

Anyone been camping there? Any information would be most welcome - thanks

Sarah x
Old Nov 28th 2012, 6:49 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Caravan Touring in South Africa

Originally Posted by Shewolf48
We thought we may have to sell our beloved caravan, when we come over to Johannesburg next Spring, but having looked it up on the internet, it seems that the camping there is even better than the UK. Instead of New Forest ponies roaming around the campsite, we have seen web sites of Antelope roaming around (Oh i say!).

Anyone been camping there? Any information would be most welcome - thanks

Sarah x
Camping is great - you don't see many caravans, people generally take tents, with trailers stuffed to the walls with the main requirements (beer, meat, beer, firelighters and beer). Lots of great campsites around Jo'burg - very cheap and social.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Shewolf48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies, looks like you have been bust answering all my threads

Mike (Hubby) seems to think we can stuff our caravan into a container along with everything else... me thinks he presumes too much. Even if his new employer pays for most of the move, i think he may be a little too optimistic

Sarah x
Old Nov 28th 2012, 9:52 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shewolf48
Thanks for the replies, looks like you have been bust answering all my threads

Mike (Hubby) seems to think we can stuff our caravan into a container along with everything else... me thinks he presumes too much. Even if his new employer pays for most of the move, i think he may be a little too optimistic

Sarah x
I don't see why not - there are rules around motorised vehicles but I doubt caravans?

If they are paying for a container, it doesn't matter what goes in it...
Old Nov 28th 2012, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

pomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nice

I don't think I recall seeing one caravan in nearly three years living in CT...

I'm sure there is a "scene", though.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 9:30 am
Just Joined

wbmkk is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with previous comments, I don't think I ever saw a caravan while living in SA. Although I was based in the Northern Transvaal, I traveled (with my wee tent) all over the country.

At that time (1980's and 1990's) many Councils had Municipal camp sites which were always pretty good.

One tip though ... most sites do not have plugs in the sinks. Folk there, normally tie one to a wash bag.

I did camp in the Kruger Park, but of course this is only allowed in the rest camps. However, at that time, it was pretty much the same price to stay in a thatched rondavel. which was lovely.

I now have a campervan, which are also popular in SA. I even bought what they (VW campervan fanatics) call a Sout Africal grill for the front
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of light

Caravaning/camping in South Africa is not as popular as it use to be.

Reason being is simple. Its no longer as safe as it use to be.

But that does not mean you cannot camp or caravan. Just make sure you take the right precautions and you will be just fine.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.sa-venues.com/caravan_parks_camping.htm

http://www.caravanparks.com/240.profile.htm?cplctry=5

http://caravansa.co.za/

http://www.aa.co.za/travel/tips-and-...ravanning.html
Old Feb 4th 2013, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by kiwibok
Caravaning/camping in South Africa is not as popular as it use to be.

Reason being is simple. Its no longer as safe as it use to be.

But that does not mean you cannot camp or caravan. Just make sure you take the right precautions and you will be just fine.
We go camping every 6 weeks. Almost every site we go to is generally packed. Perfectly safe, never had a problem. Ever.

We went 2 weeks ago. Thabo Monate near Warmbaths. Had a blast - kids too. 10 mates, 20 kids, tents, Braai and beer. We're going again the week before Easter. Then I'm in Cape Town for the 2 oceans marathon. Assuming I'm still alive then.

But again, you're right. You are in NZ and know more than me.

We went to the Red Hot Chili Peppers concert in Soweto on Saturday night. Me, my wife and 74,998 other white folks. No cops, hardly any security. Didn't see anyone get slaughtered for their cellphones. A great evening but badly organised. They ran out of beer before the main act. Die Antwoord supported and were terrible. Got home at 1am, driving through the outskirts of Soweto - windows open. Didn't see any burning cars or gangs of youths on street corners.

Friday night - we had a party for the wife's birthday at the house. 50 mates came over. The complex wasn't big enough to have all the cars parked inside, so most parked in the street. No-one had windows smashed and no-one got murdered or attacked as they left at 3am.

Last night was very warm. I had to sleep with the windows and patio doors open. As usual. I appear to be alive and untouched this morning. No stats to back this up, just an ability to live, breathe and work in Johannesburg for 10 years without seeing any of the stuff you claim to know intimately about from the safety of the furthest geographical point on the globe from here.

But, as you love stats and links so much, here's one for you:

http://www.pwc.co.za/en_ZA/za/assets...-july-2012.pdf

PWC - say that 2011's small decline in camping numbers was due to the weather, and they expect growth until 2016. They say (and I quote):

Hotels are expected to have a compound annual increase of 3.9% in stay units to 2016, while guest houses and caravan/ camping sites, bush lodges and other accommodation are forecast to record gains with compound annual increases of 4.1% and 3.4% respectively.

No mention of crime as a factor in the report at all. Just the weather. So I googled "camping crime South Africa". I found a story of a murder near Mitchell's Plain in June 2012 but that was about it. In the first 5 pages of searches anyway.

Now, this is odd - because it completely and utterly contradicts your post? I'm confused. Do you know more than PWC? Do you know more than me? A regular, seasoned camper? Time for more detergent.

Have a nice day.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 3:16 am

Thanks. Good advice in there. Interesting that the AA's safety tips don't include anything about crime either. Bloody agents!!
Old Feb 4th 2013, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ededed
We go camping every 6 weeks. Almost every site we go to is generally packed. Perfectly safe, never had a problem. Ever.

We went 2 weeks ago. Thabo Monate near Warmbaths. Had a blast - kids too. 10 mates, 20 kids, tents, Braai and beer. We're going again the week before Easter. Then I'm in Cape Town for the 2 oceans marathon. Assuming I'm still alive then.
I know the place Ed. In fact I remember the owner of the place was murdered in 2009. There are none so blind as those that don’t want to see.

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-afri...9#.URBICqWtzzo
Two men arrested in connection with the discovery of a Modimolle businessman's decomposing remains will now face an additional charge of murder, police said on Friday.
Senior Superintendent Vish Naidoo said the arrested men, Josias Mokubedi, 35, and Lucas Machaba, 39, appeared in the Bela Bela Regional Court on Thursday where a charge of murder was added to those they already face of kidnapping and armed robbery.
The decomposing remains of Giovanni Abbatemarco were found on the grounds of his Thaba Monati Game Lodge outside Bela Bela on June 25.
He was reported missing in February.
Investigations led police to conclude that he was kidnapped and robbed on the night of February 27, 2009 before being bundled into his own vehicle and driven away.
Perfectly safe. Yea right. Not if you the owner. Next time you go there Ed, make some enquiries. Think about the poor owner that was murdered at this campsite.

And on another note. You referring to camping at camp-sites. What about freedom camping? Camping on the beach, the side of the road in rural country etc? You do any of that Ed? Do you pack in pepper spray, a gun? Or is freedom camping a No No?

Coincidence about this Giovanni Abbatemarco guy? As I said. Take the right precautions when you go camping and you will be just fine.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

No mention of crime as a factor in the report at all. Just the weather. So I googled "camping crime South Africa". I found a story of a murder near Mitchell's Plain in June 2012 but that was about it. In the first 5 pages of searches anyway.

Now, this is odd - because it completely and utterly contradicts your post? I'm confused. Do you know more than PWC? Do you know more than me? A regular, seasoned camper? Time for more detergent.

Have a nice day.
Ed. You displaying your ignorance now.

Are all 150 rapes in SA (per day) reported and available on the internet for your google search?
Are all 54 murders per day available?

News24.com and iol.co.za would be the busiest websites in the world if they were. Imagine all the reporters that would need to be employed to cover all of these stories?

In fact there is no news on iol.co.za and news24.com today about any murder and rapes. Let alone some camping trip that went pear shaped for some poor sods.

But lets not forget too that South Africa has passed a new law restricting Press Freedom. This means there will be even less information available on the internet in future. But as you are the kind of guy that likes to see his glass half full, I'm sure this is good news to you. It will mean that crime in South Africa is getting less. (0 reported rapes or murders)

I look forward to our conversations in a few years time ...
You out of touch mate ...

Last edited by kiwibok; Feb 4th 2013 at 11:14 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 3:21 am

Once again...sheez.

He wasn't the owner of the camp site, he owned a nearby game lodge. He was killed by his employees in a dispute over wages, not murdered in a random crime as you suggest. My God, you are a hysterical banshee. You know that story does not suggest camping is unsafe in ANY way. I take my kids camping, are you suggesting I'd put them in danger?

The VAST MAJORITY of rapes and murders as Pablo highlighted yesterday are in townships. No, I wouldn't camp at the side of the ****ing road. I wouldn't do that in England, or in any country. Your scrabbling has reached new depths, even for you.

The press freedom act prohibits exposure of politicians, not reporting of crime which is widely reported and freely available. A white guy was murdered in his house in early January in Sandhurst. Made front page news for days. As it should have done - awful. But reflective of daily life here? No. Not in the slightest. BRITISH EXPATS don't live in townships. In fact, as someone who isn't a British Expat I'm not even sure what you're doing here.

You, are a troll. You don't know what you're talking about. And, for ****s sake, it's "YOUR" not "YOU". You can't call someone ignorant when you continue to make basic grammatical errors yourself.

I'd unsubscribe, but I think you're genuinely dangerous and need to be responded to.

I see you stopped responding to the BEE thread after I replied with another damning exposure of your lies.

Last edited by ededed; Feb 5th 2013 at 3:23 am.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

it's "YOUR" not "YOU".
Actually neither. It's "You're" in the context Kiwibok used it.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Pablo
Actually neither. It's "You're" in the context Kiwibok used it.
I was referring to about a million earlier posts. If I spent my time correcting all his grammatical mistakes I would be here for a month. Getting tiresome.

Anyway - how are you Pablo? We've been missing you....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.