Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

What is the "real" verdict on bringing DVD's into Singapore when relocating?

What is the "real" verdict on bringing DVD's into Singapore when relocating?

Old Dec 17th 2015, 2:31 am
Just Joined

allthewayfromuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is the "real" verdict on bringing DVD's into Singapore when relocating?

Hi All,

It's just under 2 weeks until our exciting move to Singapore and as we are just about to pack up our relocation company have advised us about the policy of bringing DVD's into the country. We were informed that it is $3 per DVD and that customs officers watch them and censor them! Really?

We have about 60 DVD's, some collectors box sets, a lot of Disney ones for the kids and TV shows on box set. All genuine.

I've been given a list from the relocation firm and I will list my DVD's, put them in a box and put the list at the top. Surely if and when inspected they don't sit through every DVD. I can't believe that if so!

Upon a little research on the net it seems that 95% of people have never had any issue.

Anyone else had this advice or issue before...especially recently?

Thank you
Old Dec 17th 2015, 5:07 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the "real" verdict on bringing DVD's into Singapore when relocating?

Not recent I'm afraid, but as you've had no other replies yet. We moved to Sing in 2005 (left in 2007).

We had no problems with DVDs or CDs. Just had a list of them all. All documented. No problem.
Old Dec 17th 2015, 9:39 am
Just Joined

Default Re: What is the "real" verdict on bringing DVD's into Singapore when relocating?

Thank you

I think based on what we know we will just make a list of them and put that in the box with them all
Old Dec 20th 2015, 5:19 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Buy a desktop hard drive and burn them to digital.

Less shipping volume as well
Old Dec 20th 2015, 5:38 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

And as my son once asked me a few years ago, "What are those big black DVDs you've got, Dad?"
Old Dec 20th 2015, 7:43 am
Just Joined

Thanks all. I've just done the list today and will put that on top of the dvd's and ship them over. If they do wish to watch them all and do what they want with them it will be $3 a disc apparently which I think is odd. I can't see anything on the customs website at all about this and we are just taking the advice from the removals company!

Hopefully all above board and if asked to pay we are going to see the full receipts from customs.

Hmmmmmmmm