Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

UK to Singapore - self employed

UK to Singapore - self employed

Old Jul 10th 2013, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

icepop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK to Singapore - self employed

Hi all!

I haven't fully researched this, nor would I even know where to look!

I'm a games developer and completely self-employed. I make games with my girlfriend and we've released a few titles for PC and Playstation. It doesn't matter where we live all we need is our computers! All we want to do is live there for a few years in a small apartment, maybe more. Eventually I might want to grow the company and set up a small studio (5-10 people) there, but that comes much later!
Financially we're supported by royalties and publishing contracts, but we are self-employed/sole traders.
Why do we want to do it? For the adventure!

What kind of hurdles, if any, would we face in moving there?

Bear in mind we've never done anything like this before, we've both only been out of the UK less than 10 times! And I've travelled a bit for my job (California, Cologne, Warsaw, South Africa... but never stayed more than a few days). I don't know if there's any traveling or moving lingo

Thanks!
Old Jul 10th 2013, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Singapore - self employed

Rental accommodation will cost you £2000 per month at least.
You might want to double that to cover everything else.
Will your royalties cover that?
Old Jul 11th 2013, 10:03 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to the forum

You may want to check out what visa you will require first? Have a look at the Ministry of Manpower website, Immigration website.

Do you want to start a company? Take a look at ACRA website.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 6:46 am
Just Joined

Daniel Ho is an unknown quantity at this point

My suggestion will be to get a residential with commercial shophouse, where you can work and sleep in the same place. I saw some newly started up game developing companies in Singapore doing the same. Or you can rent a studio nearby your rented office which does the same thing.

You can consider service office if you are looking for lower cost to save some money

Can PM me if you need more details, as i have some contacts for such offices and apartments.

Cheers
Daniel
Old Jul 25th 2013, 1:07 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you have to set up and get approval for starting the company in Singapore first? Or set up as sole trader or partnership?
Old Sep 11th 2013, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

LanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud ofLanternsB has much to be proud of

Ice pop,

I think there is a ratio/quota on the number of foreign employees.

I heard about this from another expat's contact who is setting up a business here. Apparently, complaints surround having difficulty fulfilling the requirement because of a shortage of Singaporeans employees.

But please don't take my word for it... May be something worth checking out.

Xx
Old Sep 11th 2013, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LanternsB
Ice pop,

I think there is a ratio/quota on the number of foreign employees.

I heard about this from another expat's contact who is setting up a business here. Apparently, complaints surround having difficulty fulfilling the requirement because of a shortage of Singaporeans employees.

But please don't take my word for it... May be something worth checking out.

Xx
I heard the review (govt think tank) taking place will revoke or exclude lower expat management. A figure of $150k per year and below was mentioned to me. Guess this can be taken across other private individuals seeking Visa.