Tailors in Singapore?

Old Jun 19th 2011, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tailors in Singapore?

Hi,

We are having an 8 day trip to singapore and wondered where is the best place to have Tailor made clothes.....made!!!! We have been to Singapore a couple of times in the past but never visited a Tailor there. Any help would be greatly apprecaited.

ps...It's mainly for myself, I have a few ideas etc so the Tailor would also need to make ladies clothing.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 3:12 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tailors in Singapore?

Hi Brits1. I've shifted your post to the Singapore forum as you'll probably get a better response in here, rather than the general Far East forum. Hope that was okay
Old Jun 21st 2011, 8:36 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, there's some discussion on tailors in the link in my signature. Unfortunately it mostly says, don't bother
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:20 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Re-retired member... love it
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 10:17 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

One day to go!
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Hi Brits1. I've shifted your post to the Singapore forum as you'll probably get a better response in here, rather than the general Far East forum. Hope that was okay
Many thanks....
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Claudia1 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are abundant tailors in Singapore but not qualified to recommend any - plus price wise might not be the most competitive place.

Good luck anyway !

Claudia

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi,

We are having an 8 day trip to singapore and wondered where is the best place to have Tailor made clothes.....made!!!! We have been to Singapore a couple of times in the past but never visited a Tailor there. Any help would be greatly apprecaited.

ps...It's mainly for myself, I have a few ideas etc so the Tailor would also need to make ladies clothing.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Claudia1
There are abundant tailors in Singapore but not qualified to recommend any - plus price wise might not be the most competitive place.

Good luck anyway !

Claudia
Thank you for the advice...looks like I will spend my time enjoying the sights rather than "Tailor shopping"....which in Singapore is what I really should be doing.....
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

Bigglesthefrog is just really niceBigglesthefrog is just really niceBigglesthefrog is just really niceBigglesthefrog is just really niceBigglesthefrog is just really niceBigglesthefrog is just really niceBigglesthefrog is just really niceBigglesthefrog is just really nice

I live in London, but have been working for a Singapore company for two years now. Sadly, many things have become much more expensive here than they are in the UK, but this not true of Tailors. So I decided that it was high time that I acquired some nicely fitting new clothes and thus started my search. For expat Forums, I was surprised that there were not more recommendations for tailors, especially as there are quite a number of them in Singapore. I carried out much research and finally plumbed for Max Mohan who has a shop in the Far East Plaza on the Scotts Road. I also went around all the other tailors I could find trying to work out who would be the best deal for the best quality. Mr Mohans affable manner, his experience and recommendations, convinced me that he would be the best price/quality mix and therefore I commissioned him to make me a Blazer, with the agreement that if this turned out well, I would then be adding more. I agreed a price of S$300 which was not necessarily the cheapest I could have bought, but I didn’t want cheap, I wanted best. So after choosing components of the Blazer and going through the two separate fittings, I went back last week to pick up the finished item. To say that I was very pleased indeed with the Blazer would be an understatement and true to my word I immediately commissioned Max to make me a custom three piece suit with two pairs of trousers and with the addition of five handmade shirts. I will be going for a couple of fittings and I expect a top of the range, superb quality result in the same bracket as my Blazer. When I have picked up my new suit and shirts, I will be returning here to let everyone know the outcome.
This is not an advert for Max Mohan’s tailors, but after my difficulty in trying to choose from the many tailors in Singapore, I genuinely feel I have found the best and I want to pass on my experience to other people who may be looking for the same.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 2:00 pm

hi biggles and welcome to BE. I've been in SE Asis for many years now and just live in shorts n t shirts so no need for tailors.

so... do. you enjoy singspore??
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bigglesthefrog
I live in London, but have been working for a Singapore company for two years now. Sadly, many things have become much more expensive here than they are in the UK, but this not true of Tailors. So I decided that it was high time that I acquired some nicely fitting new clothes and thus started my search. For expat Forums, I was surprised that there were not more recommendations for tailors, especially as there are quite a number of them in Singapore. I carried out much research and finally plumbed for Max Mohan who has a shop in the Far East Plaza on the Scotts Road. I also went around all the other tailors I could find trying to work out who would be the best deal for the best quality. Mr Mohans affable manner, his experience and recommendations, convinced me that he would be the best price/quality mix and therefore I commissioned him to make me a Blazer, with the agreement that if this turned out well, I would then be adding more. I agreed a price of S$300 which was not necessarily the cheapest I could have bought, but I didn’t want cheap, I wanted best. So after choosing components of the Blazer and going through the two separate fittings, I went back last week to pick up the finished item. To say that I was very pleased indeed with the Blazer would be an understatement and true to my word I immediately commissioned Max to make me a custom three piece suit with two pairs of trousers and with the addition of five handmade shirts. I will be going for a couple of fittings and I expect a top of the range, superb quality result in the same bracket as my Blazer. When I have picked up my new suit and shirts, I will be returning here to let everyone know the outcome.
This is not an advert for Max Mohan’s tailors, but after my difficulty in trying to choose from the many tailors in Singapore, I genuinely feel I have found the best and I want to pass on my experience to other people who may be looking for the same.
Hi we had a great time in Singapore (last July now...where does the time go) but we did notice just how expensive most things had become from our last visit 3 years before...lovely place and really enjoyed ourselves it was the same in Dubai even after a 2 year gap we really notcied just how expensive everything had become. We are off to Hungary this July for a few days and have already lined up some tailors there as they are apparently really good and cheap....
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 4:15 am

I was in Singapore a couple of times during Dec, Jan and Feb and I found it very expensive too... though sort of nice to be there. I'm still a bit love-hate with Singapore.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Bigglesthefrog is just really niceBigglesthefrog is just really niceBigglesthefrog is just really niceBigglesthefrog is just really niceBigglesthefrog is just really niceBigglesthefrog is just really niceBigglesthefrog is just really niceBigglesthefrog is just really nice

Hi Bakedbean
Yes I really do like Singapore.
I’ve spent many many years on ships and I remember coming to Singapore a bit over 30 years ago and about 10 years after that. It is interesting to note that when we dropped anchor in the bay on the BP Tanker that I was working on then, we had a boat ride from our ship to get to the quay side. To get to the same position that we anchored at all those years ago, would be a taxi ride today, such are the differences in the place! The development on the island today is staggering and whilst I hope Singapore fares well in the future, I’m afraid I suspect it will suffer from cheaper competition from other countries. This, of course will be accelerated by the rising costs in Singapore and the fact that they have no real natural recourses to sell.
Hi Brits
I actually have been “commuting” between the UK and Singapore on a six week basis and would happily stay here longer as I actually am doing this time. But the rising prices issue is a problem and the financial difficulties in Europe right now are widening the price gap even faster. It will be interesting to see where Singapore is in another 10 years from now.