Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

staying 6mths or more in Singapore

staying 6mths or more in Singapore

Old Feb 22nd 2024, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

goins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to all
Default staying 6mths or more in Singapore

Hello guys, As a semi-retired IT Tech guy, I would like to live in Singapore with my friend, for about 6 months or later, is this possible?
Old Feb 22nd 2024, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: staying 6mths or more in Singapore

Originally Posted by goins
Hello guys, As a semi-retired IT Tech guy, I would like to live in Singapore with my friend, for about 6 months or later, is this possible?
No..... with a European and US passport you can stay for up to 90 days without a visa. Anything longer requires a visa.
Old Feb 22nd 2024, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

goins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to allgoins is a name known to all

Ok so i am a resident in Portugal with a Canadian Passport.. i will need to apply for a visa I suppose.. thank you SDG
Old Feb 22nd 2024, 9:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so i am a resident in Portugal with a Canadian Passport.. i will need to apply for a visa I suppose.. thank you SDG
Then you only have 30 days if you're Canadian. So yes, if you want to stay longer and be able to work you'll need a visa. https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permits

Do also check to make sure you won't lose your Portuguese residency if you think you may want to return there.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 22nd 2024 at 9:35 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2024, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Then you only have 30 days if you're Canadian. So yes, if you want to stay longer and be able to work you'll need a visa. https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permits

Do also check to make sure you won't lose your Portuguese residency if you think you may want to return there.

Good luck.
Wonder why Canadians only get 30 days...?
Old Feb 22nd 2024, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Going back home to Canada around the middle of August...done here in Portugal TY SDG, to expensive to live here housing is not controlled so the happy scammers continue to scam for rental places.
Old Feb 22nd 2024, 11:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Going back home to Canada around the middle of August...done here in Portugal TY SDG, to expensive to live here housing is not controlled so the happy scammers continue to scam for rental places.
If you think Portugal is too expensive to live in then Singapore may not be a good idea.
Old Feb 22nd 2024, 11:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If you think Portugal is too expensive to live in then Singapore may not be a good idea.
Quite agree.......
Old Feb 23rd 2024, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Good question, I myself was wondering why
Old Feb 23rd 2024, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes nice question, and also strict, am just going to see a close friend who has been for me to stay i will probably see if i can find a job in my field of work. Network security,
taken into consideration., Being on early retirement, i need my money to go the extra mile so to speak and travel is for me
Old Feb 23rd 2024, 11:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes nice question, and also strict, am just going to see a close friend who has been for me to stay i will probably see if i can find a job in my field of work. Network security,
taken into consideration., Being on early retirement, i need my money to go the extra mile so to speak and travel is for me
You’d need a job offer anyway to get a work visa from what I understand. See the link above.

But do investigate the cost of living, Singapore is insanely expensive so unless you can find a high paying job your money isn’t likely to go an extra metre, never mind an extra mile. https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/11/30/...urich-eiu.html

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 23rd 2024 at 11:07 am.
Old Feb 24th 2024, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Correct ..and i working with someone on companies. waiting to her from a couple of companies MS Oracle, Khule and Nagel
Old Feb 27th 2024, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

the dollar is worth 84C buying a euro is worth 1.48 dollars, my logic is I go back to Toronto, and then from there do what I need to do. I am allowed 6 months but if I do get a sponsored work visa I will then proceed to move.... I will be saving a lot of dollars by exchanging for euros

Any good ideas to doing this would be appreciated.
Old Feb 27th 2024, 5:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

the dollar is worth 84C buying a euro is worth 1.48 dollars, my logic is I go back to Toronto, and then from there do what I need to do. I am allowed 6 months but if I do get a sponsored work visa I will then proceed to move.... I will be saving a lot of dollars by exchanging for euros

Any good ideas to doing this would be appreciated.
I'm not really understanding the plan tbh. So you can only stay in Toronto for 6 months? But you're going back just to buy currency? Why can't you do that from Portugal?
Old Feb 28th 2024, 10:38 am
Just Joined

DownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond repute

Is Malaysia not on your travel radar? Not sure about employment there, in your area of expertise it maybe would have to be either Kuala Lumpur or Penang which are not really the cheapest places to live in that country. But anywhere in Malaysia would beat Singapore a thousandfold in lower living costs.

Although I'm Canadian (dual nationality Australian) I use my Aussie passport to Malaysia and get 90 days on a tourist visa. Traveling in and out of that country as I regularly do, there is always the possibility that an immigration officer could take a dislike to my (basically honest) face and refuse me entry, that or limit me to one month or even one week as I've been told has happened in the past. Malaysia has always been tourist-friendly but some immigration staff have quite odd attitudes to travelers arriving. In the '70s I was once branded as a "suspected hippy" (I was wearing a pair of clean jeans) and given seven days in and out of the country. A more sensible immi officer in KL vetoed the seven days conditional visas and issued me with the usual 14 days which was the norm back then.

Applying for a longer term or a working visa are matters I know nothing about, so I'll pass. If you decide Malaysia could be for you, I' sure others here will step in with useful information, BE regular posters are supremely good at this.

Re your previous post, like christmasoompa I too am at a complete loss to figure out what you are saying. Obviously, with a Canadian passport (= you are a citizen) you can return and stay there indefinitely, but if you think the cost of living in Portugal is high you will be in for a rude shock when you hit the shores of Toronto.

Do you intend to go to Canada only to buy dollars to exchange to Euros? I reckon a bank in Portugal could easily do this and save you the cost of a return airfare. Or a quick trip to London and a visit to a reputable bank. Please put us out of our misery and explain your plan, we are all madly curious... and save you

I lived in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver, this in the 1970s. Have been back a few times, but even now after 50 years away the thought of moving back to Toronto is enough for me to ask my partner to hide the kitchen knives and the razor blades. Never ever again, not in this life...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.