Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Singapore and UK tax question

Singapore and UK tax question

Old Nov 30th 2014, 10:13 am
Just Joined

tartantbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Singapore and UK tax question

Hello forum. I may have the opportunity to work in Singapore on an assignment for 6 to 9 months. I have a limited knowledge of the Singapore tax regime- though expect to pay 17/18% of my salary/expenses/allowances.

As I receive £20K per year in UK from two pensions [one being state pension]- will I need to declare this income to the Singapore tax?

On completion of my assignment and returning to UK will I have to declare the Singapore salary [tax deducted] to UK Inland Revenue?

Thanks
Old Jan 20th 2015, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Singapore and UK tax question

Hi, sorry to see that no one had been able to reply to you.

I admit, I can't fully answer all your questions, but I'm aware that the Singaporean income tax is around 3%.

Do you have to be on assignment or can it be a permanent move?
An assignment for that length of time would mean you are still considered UK Resident by HMRC, see the new rules regarding residency considerations in SA109 on the Gov.uk website.
If you are therefore still UK resident, then any earnings you are paid in Singapore, will need to be declared to the UK too. You will also need to investigate the DTA rules.

Hope this helps, and maybe prompts some more accurate answers for you.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Singapore and UK tax question

Firstly tax advice should be sort from a suitable professional person, but given the nature of this forum my understanding is that:

you will not have spent enough time outside of the UK to become non resident. Therefore regardless of the tax rates in Singapore you will need to include them in your UK tax return. The only additional factor would be tax paid in Singapore would be used as credits against the final year liability.

When I worked in Hong Kong we had to be out of the UK for a full 12 months (not calendar but tax year i.e. April to March, so some poor guys had to be more like 15 months too qualify, and some even poorer sods returned too early and had massive tax bills.

Get some good advice is my warning