Singapore Local Salary

Old Jun 2nd 2018, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

Tom007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Singapore Local Salary

I've been offered a local contract with my company, they have also offered me an expat deal to move to Dubai. I now need to make my decision pretty quickly.

Both offers, in essence, are identical. Singapore is offering a total cash value of 454K per year plus benefits healthcare, pensions, holiday, stock options etc. Is this a good offer?

I will be moving with my wife and two young children? I know housing and schooling are expensive,

Can you please tell me if this offer is good for a British family to live in Dubai

Tom

Last edited by Tom007; Jun 2nd 2018 at 7:29 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Singapore Local Salary

Apologies, I was meant to say... is this a good offer to live comfortably in Singapore?
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

"Singapore is offering a total cash value of 454K per year plus benefits healthcare, pensions, holiday, stock options etc."

£, US$ or Singapore $? When people say "total cash value" they usually are including in non-cash benefits. What are these...or are you just referring to salary? What are the family benefits (healthcare especially). Are the pensions/stock options paid from your salary? And what is your share if they offer a percentage subsidy?

And what are you being offered in Dubai? That's your comparable measure with some determination of cost of living and lifestyle issues for your family. For some "comfortable" means having a stand alone house on a quiet alcove, with a pool, yard and room for pets. For others a nice condo will do with shared pool.

As to whether it's good for your profession and experience. I'd die for that salary, but then nobody in education (barring College Presidents) make anywhere near that much.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 8:14 am
Just Joined

Hi, Hi,

I am sorry, it is in SGD not pounds or dirhams. This is how much cash I will receive! Not benefit or work related expenses which are on top. So this works out to be $37k per month before tax from a gross salary of $454k. This is not an expat package so I have to pay for schooling and housing myself. Essentially this is a local permanent contract.

For Dubai I have a cash total of 1,284,000 AED or approx 102k AED month. In Dubai housing and schooling is cheaper as well as no tax. Also from a lifestyle perspective I can get a house twice the size, have a big garden and have two cars for the amount I would pay for car rentals. The schooling in Dubai is bigger and cheaper then Singapore also, such as the grounds and facilities are better and in recent years have dropped fees.

All are salaries, other benefits such as pension and stocks options are above this cash total. Singapore is a better job but I stand to save a lot of money in Dubai.

This is equivalent to around £250+ package in the UK. I stand to save a lot in Dubai but in Singapore not so much as well as I will be almost traveling exclusively in the region between Japan, Korea, Australia, India etc.

Last edited by Tom007; Jun 3rd 2018 at 9:19 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

The gross income is the same. Everything is cheaper in Dubai. Kids go to a school with AllModCons (what's the teaching like, though).

Lifestyle: Do you WANT a house twice the size and two cars? If so then Dubai.

It would depend on the non-salary benefits in Dubai, IMO.

Also you say that Singapore is "the better job"...is that because of the title, potential responsibilities, and ability to use it as a position to climb corporately? Sounds like you might be away from the family a lot. Would that be true in Dubai?
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

non-salary benefits are the same, except in Dubai they offer flights back and pay for fuel. In Singapore, I have to pay my own way.

The role is the same, Singapore comes with the title and team, but the position is identical. I get an equal amount of stock options etc.

Is the offer for Singapore good enough for a family of 4 British expats to live on?
Old Jun 6th 2018, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

sayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom007
non-salary benefits are the same, except in Dubai they offer flights back and pay for fuel. In Singapore, I have to pay my own way.

The role is the same, Singapore comes with the title and team, but the position is identical. I get an equal amount of stock options etc.

Is the offer for Singapore good enough for a family of 4 British expats to live on?
Yes
Old Jun 12th 2018, 11:00 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Is the offer good enough? Not necessarily as it depends on the lifestyle you want to live.
Do the sums. Work out how much cash you will have in pocket after income tax, rental, and school fees.
yes, I read they are different packages but I’m not going to google for you when it’s quite easy for you to do so, and you get to choose what school fees and rental in Singapore you want.
then come back and advise how much free cash you have after those three deductions, and we can advise better.

dubai you will save more, but the heat and the lifestyle restrictions can be so hard after a while. Your wife is less likely to go postal in Singapore, but if she has expectations of grand lifestyle and your income doesn’t provide that, that may set you up for strife as well.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Mlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond reputeMlee888 has a reputation beyond repute

International school fees will be around $4k SGD a month per child at a good international school.

Large apartment in city area might cost around 8k-11k SGD. Outskirts much cheaper but it’s a different lifestyle v central lifestyle.

Lease of a SUV might be 2.5k-3k.

Rest on food etc is dependant on your lifestylex
Old Feb 14th 2019, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

EveryonesEd is an unknown quantity at this point

Can give an update on how you ended up? I would have taken Dubai personally.
Old Mar 1st 2021, 3:14 am
Just Joined

ShaneMcDonald is an unknown quantity at this point

I have too work out a salary to pay myself locally, so working back from a modest lifestyle where we don't have cost of accommodation. No need to make it large as its from my own research company which is going to make a large capital gain at end of project,

What would a teachers salary be?
- She is a 2020 graduate but on top rate in NZ due to science experience

What costs (material) should I watch out for?
Flights to KL once a month?
Health - Have medication for Diabetes2, Hypertension
Golf?
Fitness clubs?
Costs of education? Years 13 and 8 Haven't even thought about school options yet
Public transport
We largely eat in. In Singapore it would be hawker meals and nights out with friends at their restaurants (not being cheap its just impossible to make a payment with them and going to their places is only chance we get to see them)