Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Questions from a single parent moving to Singapore

Questions from a single parent moving to Singapore

Old Jan 29th 2014, 1:54 am
Just Joined

bluegreen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions from a single parent moving to Singapore

Hello,

I have just signed on to this forum and have read many pages, over 200 threads. Thank you for all these helpful inputs. I am sorry if this topic has come up already and I have missed it, but I did not see a thread specifically on issues that a single parent may face when relocating to Singapore.

May I ask these questions:

1. I have read about some state discriminatory practices regarding single parents. Does anyone have any experience regarding this issue, cultural perceptions? Any particularly good resources for single parents (I am aware of the Meet Up)?

2. I am considering a move to a condo or HDB housing. As I am trying to build a trusted community for my little toddler, which would you suggest would be a better environment for a single parent? My last expat community was in Switzerland and in our apartment building my toddler had wonderful local neighbourhood families. I rely heavily on a helper if I must travel on business. I have always had a good neighbour who agreed to be an emergency contact.

If you had any particular suggestions on locations in Singapore, for close amenities for nursery, food shopping, and short workplace commute (Robertson Quay) this would be highly appreciated.

3. And finally if you have had good experience with a paediatrician, accountant, and dentist (the three I would love referrals for, in particular), please PM me.

Than you very much for sharing your knowledge and experience.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 8:28 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions from a single parent moving to Singapore

Hi....just to say to the forum.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a lot for the welcome, bakedbean! I hope my questions are not too many or repetitive, I am trying to plan as best as I can for my situation. All answers will be much appreciated.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 12:35 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I no longer live in Singapore so,hopefully some Sing residents will be along shortly.

Bit surprised about discrimination re single parent. Where did you hear that? Certainly in condos you'll have the advantage of meeting up with others at the swimming pool (maybe others with toddlers) so a good place to mix with other expats and locals too.

There are tons of good dentists. I guess you would wish to find one near to where you live or work? So maybe ask when you get to Singapore.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

Hi Bakedbean

Thanks a lot for your message. I heard about some discriminatory practices from someone I know who left Singapore only a year ago, eg. how only married parents could get some of the state benefits for having children, and some issues with housing.

I am not sure if the forum allows links but here one example published in 2013. http://www.fivestarsandamoon.com/str...er-in-sterile-
singapore/

you google on this eg. "single parent singapore", there are many articles on this. It is surprising.

I look forward to living in Singapore. I am hoping someone in a similar situation as single dad or mom within the forum could share his/her experience.

I should just ask locally for good referrals for professionals like dentists, you are right. Again, was wondering if someone would PM a certain great find.

Thank you!
Old Feb 1st 2014, 11:37 am

The link doesn't work....comes up with Error. Strangely I did a google on the words you chose and....first link that came up was for meetup.com with a Single Parents Meet up group in Singapore. Surprised you didn't see that one.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Pupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of light

We lived in Robertson Quay and thoroughly recommend the area. There is a vibrant scene down by the river. You can walk to Great World City mall in 10 to 15 minutes. There is a Cold Storage supermarket there which has recently been extended and refurbished. Plus most of the every day shops you would want and an excellent cinema. You can also walk to Orchard Road in about 20 to 30 minutes but expect to turn up very hot and sweatty. RQ is a great location and is very close to the centre/CBD etc but is far enough out too.

Can recommend an excellent English dentist at Tanglin Mall if you want her details.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pupsiecola
We lived in Robertson Quay and thoroughly recommend the area. There is a vibrant scene down by the river. You can walk to Great World City mall in 10 to 15 minutes. There is a Cold Storage supermarket there which has recently been extended and refurbished. Plus most of the every day shops you would want and an excellent cinema. You can also walk to Orchard Road in about 20 to 30 minutes but expect to turn up very hot and sweatty. RQ is a great location and is very close to the centre/CBD etc but is far enough out too.

Can recommend an excellent English dentist at Tanglin Mall if you want her details.
Many thanks for this post, especially to learn you liked living by RQ. I'd be very glad to have the recommendation of an excellent dentist in Tanglin Mall. I have not had good experience with one in the past so I'd rather not just try my luck. Much appreciated! I will send you a PM.

Last edited by bluegreen; Feb 2nd 2014 at 2:21 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bakedbean
The link doesn't work....comes up with Error. Strangely I did a google on the words you chose and....first link that came up was for meetup.com with a Single Parents Meet up group in Singapore. Surprised you didn't see that one.
Hi Bakedbean,

Thanks, I did mention knowing of Meet up (in my first message on this thread) and I will try this when Im physically moved to Singapore. I was hoping to have any feedback before I arrived, to see if I missed a previous thread on this topic in the BE forum or if anyone with single parent experiences was willing to share them. The only thread I found was back in 2010 but this was an acrimonious situation, which is not my case
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=671280)

Thanks for trying the website link. I can try and repaste link here:
http://www.fivestarsandamoon.com/str...rile-singapore

All feedback is appreciated.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by bluegreen
Hi Bakedbean,

Thanks, I did mention knowing of Meet up (in my first message on this thread) and I will try this when Im physically moved to Singapore.
Whoops....my memory is fading

I suspect (don't know but just suspect) that the discriminatory thing is mostly within the Singaporean community, and probably based on historic/cultural Chinese "family" values. I probably shouldn't bring up the subject of Gays in Singapore....but a similar thing in that it is not officially accepted... though everyone knows that there are plenty within the city state. To summarize, in my personal view, the culture is somewhat old-fashioned within the community. (I'll probably get shot down in flames now )
Old Feb 4th 2014, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

Bakedbean, no one has yet said anything to the contrary. I think Singapore sounds like a conservative country in many aspects. I can imagine it would be challenging to be gay AND a single parent ...!
Old Feb 4th 2014, 2:03 pm

Err yes . The gay thing is tricky in both Singapore and Malaysia. I have gay friends in both countries (I'm straight myself) and you have to keep low key if gay. It's a bit Victorian but there ya go. Anyway thoroughly off topic now
Old Feb 4th 2014, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Err yes . The gay thing is tricky in both Singapore and Malaysia. I have gay friends in both countries (I'm straight myself) and you have to keep low key if gay. It's a bit Victorian but there ya go. Anyway thoroughly off topic now
While this might be true to some extent, there is a locally famous gay comic, I don't know if he is gay or that is part of his act in comic clubs and on TV, who does a lot of other types of TV shows including cooking and restaurant reviews.
There are certainly many gay men and women who are locally famous and known to be gay.

Just to add, I think my barber is gay.
He has all the mannerisms, but I don't know one way or the other.
Nice bloke anyway and that's good enough for me.

Last edited by ex reg; Feb 4th 2014 at 11:33 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Pupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ex reg
Nice bloke anyway and that's good enough for me.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 6:30 am

I just did some googles and the theme seems to be that Times Are a Changin. Well done for pointing that out ex-Reg. I'm probably a bit behind the times.

It is still illegal to be Gay in Singapore, but there seems to be some kind of "acceptance" now. There's a good Al Jazeera article here:
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/fea...519968381.html

Kind of Off Topic but, on the other hand, maybe the Single Parent thing reflects in the same way.... dunno.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.