Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Question about the weather!

Question about the weather!

Old Nov 22nd 2013, 7:08 am
Just Joined

haylee76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about the weather!

hey guys, its 4 weeks today now and i will arrive in singapore to live for a few years - very excited, and curious about the december/january weather..

When i attempt to check online about the weather currently it shows a high percentage chance of rain everyday - so I'm curious, how long does it rain for in general each day? I know this is probably a very hard question to answer? - but are we likely to see any sun our first couple of months in arrival? - Kinda hoping to do a spot of sunbathing? lol Or is that out for a little bit? :-)

thanks guys! xx
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 8:30 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about the weather!

We used to live in Singapore, but no longer do. It rains a lot in Singapore but you do get plenty of dry weather too. Very hot and humid though. Do people still sunbathe?

Singapore cops both the north-east monsoon and the south-west monsoon, and in between you can get very heavy thunderstorms but they do not last very long...half an hour, an hour.

North east monsoon is the longest period of wetness generally as it can go on for days sometimes. Errrr....sorry...that is usually Decemberish and maybe a bit of January. The good side to this is that the temperatures plummet. Can get down to 24 degrees C easily and, the period afterwards, mid January to February is nice and cool...24, 25, 26 degrees typically.

South west monsoon kicks in around May-ish. That's a bit different though. You get storms called "Sumatras". I used to love to watch them. You see them gradually building up on the horizon until it's as black as the dead of night, then you get an almighty squall. Sometimes see some twisters out at sea too. These generally don't hit land.

Enjoy.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

dean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Question about the weather!

The wet season starts around mid November and ends about mid January. I would say that generally mornings are fine and sunny but 4 afternoons out of 7 it will rain for a few hours in the afternoon and evening. We arrived in Singapore in October and I remember people commenting about how cool it was. Fresh off the plane from China it felt nothing other than very hot to me! After a couple of years though you will notice that the daytime temperature dips down just 3 or 4 degrees at this time of year and you do notice a difference.