Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Partner (unmarried) has a job offer in Singapore

Partner (unmarried) has a job offer in Singapore

Old Sep 17th 2017, 7:13 pm
Just Joined
Thread Starter
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 1
CHMullett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Partner (unmarried) has a job offer in Singapore

Hello everyone,

I am brand new here so sorry if this is in the wrong place/has been answered before.

My partner and I have been wanting to move abroad for years and a friend helped my partner get a position at a company in Singapore. We have accepted the offer and he is just starting the visa process, date of start for the job is 27th November 2017.

We are engaged but not yet married. I can't work out if I have any right to be a dependant on his visa (probably not). If I were to get a job offer myself before we travel there that would be ideal, but I am just thinking if that doesn't happen. Say I travel over with him, I can only legally stay for 30 days. Then I would, assumedly have to leave for a period of time (?) before I could return?

We are also prepared to tie the knot quickly before the 27th November, but the question is, can I then be dependant on his visa if he already has it and I wasn't 'declared' beforehand if you get me?

I can't believe that we are the only people to have been in this position before, but I am really finding it hard to get any concrete advice.

Thanks in advance,

CHMullett is offline  
Old Sep 24th 2017, 1:31 am
Just Joined
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 20
allthewayfromuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Partner (unmarried) has a job offer in Singapore

Hi there, for a DP you do need to be lawfully married and you can then get the pass, same for any children to get the DP. The main Employment Pass holder holds the pass and then can have dependants under their pass but must be married from what I know. I guess you could tie the knot quickly. I know when we moved here we had to produce marriage certs etc for the dependants pass. Good Luck and let us know if you want anymore advice.
allthewayfromuk is offline  
Old Sep 29th 2017, 5:58 am
Just Joined
Joined: Nov 2015
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 29
orchid_in_bloom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Partner (unmarried) has a job offer in Singapore

This is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. You may want to email MOM (Ministry of Manpower) for clarification.

I'm basing my answer on the requirements stated in the MOM website:
1. The company of your fiance is the one who has to apply for your dependent's pass so the e-pass can be issued to him while you are still not married
2. After you get married, the company can then apply for your pass.

"You can submit the application along with the main pass holder’s work pass application or at a later date. Submit a separate application for each family member." from the MOM website: Apply for a Dependant's Pass

You can check with your fiance's company if they are willing to do that. Since they're applying for an e-pass, I would guess they have had experience about the dependent's pass.

Alternatively, common-law spouses can get a pass called the Long-Term Visit Pass. Again, it's a company that will be sponsoring it.

Read more here:
Eligibility for Long Term Visit Pass
orchid_in_bloom is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.