Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Nursing in Singapore, moving with family

Nursing in Singapore, moving with family

Old May 10th 2013, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Doubledenim is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Nursing in Singapore, moving with family

Hello all,

We are a family of 2 adults and 3 children aged 11, 8, and 4.
My husband has found a possible managerial nursing job in Singapore, around $96,000 per year with subsidised accommodation for 2yrs??

I am also a nurse, and would probably think about seeking part time work once moved, to ensure that the family are settled first.

Schooling is obviously the biggest priority, but I do not think we will manage to pay for 3 children to attend an international school, so we would have to look at public schools. am I right in thinking that these are about $100 per month per child??

We would not want a car, as I understand that they are extremely expensive, and would be happy to use public transport.

Can anyone advise me on family friendly districts to live, with outside spaces and possible affordable condos rather than HDB properties.

Lastly, am I being realistic? I would rather continue to stay in UK if everyone will find the move hard, but equally I would love to accept the challenge and adventure for 2 years.

Thanks in advance
Old May 10th 2013, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing in Singapore, moving with family

Hope you aren't looking for a holiday, sounds a bit like it although I think I might well be wrong.
If you only intend 2 years then it's the kids I'd think long and hard about.

If you do work then you'll be OK, if you don't it will be tight.

I'm not sure what you mean by subsidised.
I guess you'll be on a budget.
Nothing wrong with HDB and some will cost a lot to rent even though they don't have facilities.
They will be much better for public transport.

Rather than choose an area to live first find a syuitable school. The rest will follow.

Not trying to be negative here.
Old May 10th 2013, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Doubledenim is an unknown quantity at this point

certainly not expecting a holiday, but equally not a hard slog!

I suppose I would not know where to start in thinking about looking for ?good schools, so I would need to narrow down a few districts first. It seems very much a chicken and egg situation.

Thanks for the advise re HDB and transport that is certainly important.
Old May 10th 2013, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help with schools, others will, but it isn't chicken and egg imo, it's schools schools schools.
Old May 11th 2013, 4:32 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with everything exReg has said. Moving the kids for only 2 years? What an upheaval in their schooling. Though maybe some folks do that. I really don't know.

I'm a tad out of touch with all things Singapore. I left there in 2007 but visit from time to time, and it sure is an expensive place these days so, yes, do think carefully.

Certainly people used to say that it was a great place for kids. All that outdoor living.... in the condo swimming pool after school, and so much going on. Decisions, decisions, eh.

Think Bocat on here might have some good views as she was living in Singapore and has kids. We shall await her contribution.
Old May 12th 2013, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Doubledenim

Whilst it's not completely impossible to live in Singapore on that salary - I don't think you'd get the lifestyle you're maybe hoping for.

Check out the property websites www.iproperty.com.sg and www.propertyguru.com.sg to give you an idea of property rental prices. Even HDBs are not cheap!

My kids went to local schools but they were used to the local school system as we arrived when they were 4 and 1. I think for your older kids it would be quite a change. Also you may not get the kids into same school. One of my friends arrived with two teenagers and they were in schools very far away from each other as it just depends where places are available.

Children start primary school here in the year they turn 7 so your little one would be in kindergarten just now. If you planned to stay longer than 2 years then he/she would have to go to kindergarten (as opposed to just play group/staying at home) as it very much prepares them for starting P1 (including being able to read by the time they start P1).

Really don't want to sound too negative but even though we stayed up in the north (Yishun), shopped at wet markets and Fairprice rather than Cold Storage/Marketplace (kind of like comparing Asda with Sainsburys) - we still found general day to day living very expensive.

That said - you can do lots of things cheaply here - eating out can be incredibly cheap if you don't mind hawker centres/food courts, cinemas are cheap, there are lots of great parks etc to visit.

Best of luck with whatever you decide. Happy to answer any questions you may have.
Old May 12th 2013, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to say - bakedbean - most people who come to Singapore are only there for 2-3 year contracts but I suppose that's the appeal of international schools - the kids can continue in their own curriculum.