Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Moving to Singapore Need lots of advise

Moving to Singapore Need lots of advise

Old Feb 16th 2014, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Carlzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Singapore Need lots of advise

I have been offered a job in Singapore and basically need advise on everything. General cost of living including average monthly outgoings on utility bills, broadband, phone, cable tv etc? Best places and area's to rent, Would most landlords or agencies look for references? How easy is it to set up bank accounts etc? I heard of how humid it is but is outdoor activity a possibility at all as I'm quite an outdoorsy type of person? Is it cheap enough to island hop for example or do weekend trips abroad to nearby countries? What do most expats get up to at weekends? Is there a good social scene/ community? I'm single woman and in my 30's so trying to gauge how easy it is to meet up with people.

At the moment I'm still negotiating my salary package with my employer but I know they will only pay for my travel expenses there and 1 months accommodation. After that I'm on my own.

I have never travelled anywhere in Asia so am a complete novice so would really appreciate any help or advise you can give.

Thanks!
Old Feb 17th 2014, 12:36 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Singapore Need lots of advise

Hello there and welcome to the forum

Do have a good read through the existing topics in the Singapore section. There's a lot of relevant info on here already. You can also use the search button up on the top right.

I no longer live in Singapore so cannot answer all your questions. Yes it's humid but you can have an outdoor kind of life, except when it's monsooning of course . Singapore is a small city state but there is a surprising amount of greenery and a good park network, reservoirs etc.

It's a very social place and I don't think you'll have any problems meeting up with folks, both expat and local. Enjoy
Old Feb 17th 2014, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Bakedbean!

I'll have a good read through and I'm sure that I'll find most of my questions already answered no doubt.

Glad to hear it's sociable as I've no contacts whatsoever there at the moment and am quite outgoing so will enjoy getting to know people on this site etc and look forward to any advise they can give. Thanks Again
Old Feb 17th 2014, 1:14 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Just re-reading your post......yes you can get away to different countries. If you want to chill out, you can get boat trips south to one or two Indonesian Islands.

Otherwise there are loads of options by plane..... Malaysia (where I am) and Thailand are short flights away. Singapore Changi airport is arguably the best airport in the world, so efficient you just breeze through.

I guess on downsides, Singapore is very expensive these days, more than it used to be. It's also very fast paced, may require some getting used to. Hopefully some current Sing residents will be along shortly to advise. Good place to experience anyway.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Again!
One more question, seeing as you've lived there.. Is it true that an employee has to look after paying their own income tax rather then the employer deducting this via your salary automatically?
Old Feb 17th 2014, 1:41 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carlzy
I have been offered a job in Singapore and basically need advise on everything. General cost of living including average monthly outgoings on utility bills, broadband, phone, cable tv etc? Best places and area's to rent, Would most landlords or agencies look for references? How easy is it to set up bank accounts etc? I heard of how humid it is but is outdoor activity a possibility at all as I'm quite an outdoorsy type of person? Is it cheap enough to island hop for example or do weekend trips abroad to nearby countries? What do most expats get up to at weekends? Is there a good social scene/ community? I'm single woman and in my 30's so trying to gauge how easy it is to meet up with people.

At the moment I'm still negotiating my salary package with my employer but I know they will only pay for my travel expenses there and 1 months accommodation. After that I'm on my own.

I have never travelled anywhere in Asia so am a complete novice so would really appreciate any help or advise you can give.

Thanks!
I'm no longer in Singapore but we did two postings there. It is known as 'Asia for beginners' as it is so easy to live there - English is written and spoken everywhere Where will you be working? It will have a major bearing on your commute even though geographically the island is very small.....but imo now overcrowded and commute times may be long/slow.

Most tenancies are for two years and tbh most landlords do prefer tenants on a company lease so they are liable if you skip the country lol!

IMO it is essential for you to get a 'break/diplomatic clause' inserted into your lease (if possible get your employer's lawyer or even get a lawyer yourself to check the lease before you sign it). As far as I can remember the 'diplomatic clause' can be enabled after 12 months and you have to prove that you are leaving Singapore. Alternatively it may be possible to try and find someone to take over your lease.

Perhaps you could consider doing a flat-share? Utility costs are high, we never used the air-con during the day (except for Christmas Day) and just opened the patio doors and windows open wide instead (not recommended in monsoon season!). We would just have the air-con on in the bedrooms at night. Most showers/baths have a switch to turn the hot water on, it only takes up to 15 mins as the tap water temp is about 27C Oh, tap water is safe to drink too.

Singapore is very social although less so than Hong Kong. You may wish to join ANZA (the Australian & New Zealand Association) as they have a lot of activities which appeal to singles including tennis & netball, day trips and tours and any nationality can join (I used to volunteer in their office!):

http://www.anza.org.sg

Enjoy Singapore - I'm sure you'll have a blast!
Old Feb 17th 2014, 1:44 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Moving to Singapore Need lots of advise

Originally Posted by Carlzy
Thank you Again!
One more question, seeing as you've lived there.. Is it true that an employee has to look after paying their own income tax rather then the employer deducting this via your salary automatically?
http://www.guidemesingapore.com/taxa...onal-tax-guide
Old Feb 17th 2014, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

airlineguy1980 will become famous soon enough

Tax is lodged like you do in uk. It's not deducted at source. You pay at the end of year assessment. Most employers are in auto inclusion. If not you just get form from the company transfer the figures in to the website.job done. It sounds like rocket science but even my daughter will do it. So don't worry. Even you get installment plan to pay your tax.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

airlineguy1980 will become famous soon enough

If you stay in normal 3 bedroom flat in suburbs and not posh area. Furnished flat is 2200sgd about 1000gbp per month. Food is cheaper if you going to cook or eat in coffee shop like singaporeans do.then a family of three need 700sgd for food. Then the transport entertainment phone Internet might cost like another 600. This is what I do.I don't pay rent
Old Feb 17th 2014, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I'm no longer in Singapore but we did two postings there. It is known as 'Asia for beginners' as it is so easy to live there - English is written and spoken everywhere Where will you be working? It will have a major bearing on your commute even though geographically the island is very small.....but imo now overcrowded and commute times may be long/slow.

Most tenancies are for two years and tbh most landlords do prefer tenants on a company lease so they are liable if you skip the country lol!

IMO it is essential for you to get a 'break/diplomatic clause' inserted into your lease (if possible get your employer's lawyer or even get a lawyer yourself to check the lease before you sign it). As far as I can remember the 'diplomatic clause' can be enabled after 12 months and you have to prove that you are leaving Singapore. Alternatively it may be possible to try and find someone to take over your lease.

Perhaps you could consider doing a flat-share? Utility costs are high, we never used the air-con during the day (except for Christmas Day) and just opened the patio doors and windows open wide instead (not recommended in monsoon season!). We would just have the air-con on in the bedrooms at night. Most showers/baths have a switch to turn the hot water on, it only takes up to 15 mins as the tap water temp is about 27C Oh, tap water is safe to drink too.

Singapore is very social although less so than Hong Kong. You may wish to join ANZA (the Australian & New Zealand Association) as they have a lot of activities which appeal to singles including tennis & netball, day trips and tours and any nationality can join (I used to volunteer in their office!):

http://www.anza.org.sg

Enjoy Singapore - I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Thank you for this. It's a lot of good advise and hints!! Work is on Temasek Avenue. Not sure how central or non central that is?
Old Feb 17th 2014, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for your very helpful hints and good advise. It does seem to be the main thing that people are advising on this site is that Singapore is very expensive. However I'm looking forward to the move and hope to make the best of the time there. Really appreciate all the responses
Old Feb 18th 2014, 10:29 am
Just Joined

Englishmum, Thanks for all your good advise. I've checked out some of those links you sent me a long with the threads you mentioned in your initial post.

Very good advise for a complete novice like myself.

Thank you again!
Old Feb 18th 2014, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Pupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of lightPupsiecola is a glorious beacon of light

Push for a one year lease rather than two. We did and thank goodness as we ended up coming back to the UK after 11 months which we hadn't planned for. There are so many properties up for rental, I think you should be able to lease for a year. You may decide that you want to live in a different district once you're settled there.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Pupsiecola,

Yes exactly and TBH as work will only sort me out with accomodation for only 1 mth I might be in a panic to find somewhere/anywhere in the meantime and if I don't like it I'd hate to be tied with a long Lease agreement. I'm also going to look into the Break/Diplomatic clause mentioned by Englishmum just to be sure I'm protected and I will definitely have my companies leagal look over the contract.

Thanks for all the good advise!
Old Feb 19th 2014, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

Valesarl is an unknown quantity at this point

there are places which lease you for 6months and onwards but mostly serviced apartments which includes utility broadband and tv, it also depends on the number of bed rooms you are looking at

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.