Hotel Choice

Old Apr 6th 2009, 6:27 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hotel Choice

I am looking at Singapore for a week in Aug (with a female) flying from Dubai, any recommendations out of the hotels listed or any other you may recommend.
Looking for somewhere fairly central to bars and restaurants.

Holiday Inn
Changi Village
Tropical
Rendezvous
Holiday Inn Atrium
Intercontinental

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 6th 2009, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hotel Choice

Originally Posted by rowell
I am looking at Singapore for a week in Aug (with a female) flying from Dubai, any recommendations out of the hotels listed or any other you may recommend.

Holiday Inn OK
Changi Village Way out by the airport
Tropical ???
Rendezvous very good rate at the moment.
Holiday Inn Atrium OK
Intercontinental OK.

Thanks in advance
as above
Old Apr 6th 2009, 8:55 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to do a search on the Aus forum; this comes up regularly for stopovers.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 9:21 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I also managed to find some other threads by seasider and others, got too make my mind up soon, be it, my son has almost made the choice for me to go back to the UK for a week as he cannot afford to come across to Dubai.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Following a link on Seasider's post I posted this there but post it again here.

I know Seasider has said don't go to Newton Circus and in fact Stall 43 there has just been banned for 3 months for selling 8 prawns for S$269 That's about 125 quid. They were large prawns but still...

Anyway I've been going to Newton Circus for about 30 years.
Really like the atmosphere there and if you just buy the cheap and cheerful food like chicken wings, Hokiien prawn mee, nasi goreng, satay,la la, sotong etc then you'll have a great evening. Beer is about 3 quid for a 660ml bottle.

If you want seafood do as Seasider says and take a taxi to East Coast Park.
Although Red House is nowadays not a patch on it's old self and Jumbo is now better although it is personal view.

Otherwise Jumbo on Clark key is good for seafood and the Indonesian place next door has some good food.

That's all.
Too much to talk about, really.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:51 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Hotel Choice

Originally Posted by rowell

Holiday Inn
Changi Village
Tropical
Rendezvous
Holiday Inn Atrium
Intercontinental

Thanks in advance
I would go for the Intercontinental - it's in a very good location at Bugis Junction with an MRT station a few yards away and also on many bus routes. Lots of places to eat and drink nearby and you can walk to Chijmes (old convent/church 'Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus' from whence it gets its name - with a lovely courtyard and many restaurants and bars) and Chijmes neighbours the famous Raffles Hotel - both worth places worth checking out due to the lovely architecture. I haven't been inside one of the rooms at the Intercontinental for some time, but the Intercontinental brand is the luxury arm of the ICH hotels group which includes the Crowne Plazas, Holiday Inns, HI Express, Indigo etc.

Actually we have a very close friend coming over to Singapore in a couple of weeks but he will be with colleagues so can't stay with us at our apartment; however he's going to stay at the Intercontinental which he says has excellent room rates right now (he's VP of Finance for his company). My spouse told him about ICH 'Priority Pass' which our friend is now hooked on - it's a great way to quickly amass frequent stay points for any hotel in their group....once you get to Platinum status you get loads of bonus points and we've had loads of free room upgrades, amenities and free stays at their hotels (working on my spouse for us to stay one day at the Intercontinental resort either in Bali or Tahiti....)

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com

Forget the Holiday Inn (at the top of Orchard Road) as it looks old and dated. The newer one by the river (Atrium?) would be a better pick. Forget staying out at Changi - far from the action in the city although there is a new highly rated Crowne Plaza at terminal 3. I've never heard of the Tropicana but guess it's a boutique hotel? You might see info about it on Tripadvisor.

The Rendevous is also in a good location, again I haven't been in there but check it out on Tripadvisor.

In short, my choice would be:
1) Intercontinental
2) Rendezvous
3) HI Atrium
Old Apr 7th 2009, 8:31 am

Thanks very much indeed, very helpful