Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Help a useless Brit.......anyone?

Help a useless Brit.......anyone?

Old Dec 17th 2013, 11:02 am
Just Joined

SimonG29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help a useless Brit.......anyone?

Hi guys,

Same old story, 29 year old British guy is moving to Singapore in May and has done a lot of research on various websites but from experience there's no better knowledge than the ones who live and breath the city everyday so I'm asking for some assistance if possible.

I was looking at KL as a possible base but the distinct lack of hardly any young single expats has put me off so i'm heading over to Singapore on Friday to check out the city over the weekend.

I will be based from home for my work and want a good network of life, café, bars and expats on my doorstep or in very close proximity...My thoughts were firstly towards East Coast Park but there appears to be a distinct lack of bars in this region.....would I be better suited to the areas around Clarke Quay or further afield in Holland Village for this?

Finally.....is anyone free for a tour around or at worst a beer to discuss this coming weekend on either Saturday or Sunday what it's actually like to live in Singapore and where to go and avoid etc?

Thanks

Simon

Last edited by SimonG29; Dec 17th 2013 at 11:56 am.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 12:26 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help a useless Brit.......anyone?

I no longer live in Singapore but you'll find bars everywhere I would say. We used to live in East Coast area and certainly plenty there. For you, as a young single guy, I imagine Boat quay, Robertsons etc will appeal....and probably many other places.

Umm....you will have a work permit to work at home?
Old Dec 19th 2013, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

SimonG29 is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess no1 is in the helping mood at the moment.

Anyone free for a beer near Clarke Quay or Robertson Quay at all Friday/Saturday?
Old Dec 19th 2013, 1:30 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Help a useless Brit.......anyone?

I hope you have deep pockets. The price of alcohol in Singapore is astronomical!

A lot of expats (and locals) will be going away this weekend; either going home for Christmas or off to places like Phuket and coming back in the New Year.

I don't know if you are sporty or not but you if you like football you could go and check out if you can play for the mainly expat team the 'Colbar Tigers' at the Colbar off Portsdown Rd (it used to be the squaddies mess for the British Army):

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...Singapore.html

Also if you like running you could join one of the Hash House Harriers groups (they also have them in KL), or if you are more into cycling, tennis and cricket you could join ANZA and they too have an expat soccer team:

http://www.anza.org.sg/?page=anza_sports

http://www.anza.org.sg (yes, Brits can join ANZA) There is also the Malaysian equivalent in Kuala Lumpur, called MANZA

http://www.manza.org/
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Probably a bit late with this reply as presumably you're already here and yes I know I'm always banging on about Meetup - but there are so many social groups on there that I'm sure you could have found someone to hang out with this weekend and get some advice.

If it's not too late checkout www.meetup.com