Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Help advice needed, Panicking now!

Help advice needed, Panicking now!

Old Mar 25th 2011, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

michele.woods is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Help advice needed, Panicking now!

Hi,

I wondered if anyone can offer some advice.

My husband is flying to Singapore tonight to start a permanent position on Monday and I will be following on the 21st April. He will apply for a Dependants pass for me once he arrives.

Now like an idiot I did not even think about a visa and booked a one way flight to Singapore. Will it be possible to get the visa for me before the 21st of April or do I need to book a return even though I won't need it (fingers crossed).

If anyone any offer I would really really appreciate it.

Thank you!!!
Old Mar 26th 2011, 2:46 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help advice needed, Panicking now!

Forgive me if this sounds a bit thick, but why do you have to have a return ticket? Is that a requirement now in Singapore? Good grief.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 5:32 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if Singapore is the same as Thailand and it is probably stricter but in Thailand you are always supposed to have a return ticket depending on your visa and your circumstances and if you don't they can make you buy an onward ticket to a third country on arrival as happened to a friend of mine once at great expense. You may also have to show funds for the duration of your stay. Admission is at the discretion of the immigration officer. Years ago I had real trouble getting on to the plane at Gatwick because I had a oneway ticket and I had to argue for a long time. But then the funny thing was that after the stop in Amsterdam they put me in business class !
Old Mar 26th 2011, 5:44 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Nonthaburi, I had no idea
Old Mar 26th 2011, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michele.woods
Hi,

I wondered if anyone can offer some advice.

My husband is flying to Singapore tonight to start a permanent position on Monday and I will be following on the 21st April. He will apply for a Dependants pass for me once he arrives.

Now like an idiot I did not even think about a visa and booked a one way flight to Singapore. Will it be possible to get the visa for me before the 21st of April or do I need to book a return even though I won't need it (fingers crossed).

If anyone any offer I would really really appreciate it.

you could always also just buy an online ticket to KL with a budget airline just to show you have an onward flight

Thank you!!!
assuming you are coming from the UK
buy a return ticket anyway. Tickets will be cheaper from the uk than from Singapore. so when you return for a vacation you just buy another return ticket from the UK. With a return ticket you won't need a visa.

if his EP is in place and he applies for your DP next week then you will probably have your DP approval letter before you fly anyway. in practice it only takes a few days
Old Mar 26th 2011, 6:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
assuming you are coming from the UK
buy a return ticket anyway. Tickets will be cheaper from the uk than from Singapore. so when you return for a vacation you just buy another return ticket from the UK. With a return ticket you won't need a visa.

if his EP is in place and he applies for your DP next week then you will probably have your DP approval letter before you fly anyway. in practice it only takes a few days
Thank you so much for your advice, as my husband has flown out first everything little thing seems to stress me at the moment.

His EP is in place so fingers crossed my DP will be in place before I fly otherwise will book a flight to KL.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

think my wife's DP took about 10 days
Old Mar 30th 2011, 7:19 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your advice. My Approved DP came through today in principle, just need to get my pass card when I arrive. Phew one more thing less to worry about
Old Mar 30th 2011, 1:13 pm

That's great. Have fun. Singapore is an experience - enjoy!
Old Mar 30th 2011, 3:29 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

For future reference, we flew into Singapore on one-way tickets without work permits, no problem. EP and DP came a few days later.

edit: Actually, as we had by then given away all our worldy goods and rented out our UK house, it was a bloody good job they did
Old Mar 31st 2011, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by michele.woods
Thank you for your advice. My Approved DP came through today in principle, just need to get my pass card when I arrive. Phew one more thing less to worry about
enjoy your time over here. we've been here close to 3 years. probably another 1-2 years for us