Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

First time visting Singapore - plz help

First time visting Singapore - plz help

Old Nov 24th 2012, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

contactmangesh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First time visting Singapore - plz help

Hi
I am planning to visit Singapore in next month or so for at least 1 yr deputation.
I have family with 2 kids 6 yrs and 2 months old.
I would like to know following things
1) how is education system in sing? like is there any public school like USA has (does not cost).
2) when the school session starts & end (currenly my 6 yr old is in sr Kg.)

3) how abt transportation like usually does people buy cars or rent or use the public transportation
4) how much would be i will have to spend for family of mine. I know it would be difficult but just on an idea may help
5) how the health system works in Singapore. It is same like USA?

5) is there any sites which i can refer to get details abt sing culture and other stuff. like for USA we refer path2usa.com or there are many more

Please help me for the above information. As i mentioned i have family with 2 kids and i m travelling Singapore for first time. any help / information / suggestion appropriated
Old Nov 25th 2012, 5:15 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First time visting Singapore - plz help

Hi contactmangesh and a warm to the forum.

Re questions 1 to 3, there are a LOT of threads already on these subjects on this forum. Just browse through the Singapore section here and have a good read, and maybe tag on to any existing threads.

Question 4. I don't understand what you are asking. Maybe you can re-phrase it.

Question 5. Not sure exactly what you mean but the health system in Singapore is for Singaporeans. It won't apply to you (assuming you are not Singaporean). You can buy private medical insurance, or maybe your employer will be providing that?
For general health problems, just go along to any clinic (there are loads), best to take your passport for identity, and make appointment to see a doctor. Hospitals the same, just go along and make appointment.

Question 6. Sing culture.... mmmm. Singapore is probably the most westernized country in south east Asia. I doubt you will experience a culture shock of any kind.... it's very modern, lots of shopping malls, parks, shops etc etc. The majority of Singaporeans are Chinese racially, but you'll also find Indian Singaporeans, Malay Singaporeans, and Eurasians and a few others, and quite a few Expats too.

I no longer live in Singapore so I'm not quite up to speed on some things. Hopefully some of our resident posters will be along to assist you soon.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 8:20 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply Backedbin. As i mentioned i am coming 1st time to Singapore so , will help me to plan if i have idea how much on an average for a family with 2 kids would be the expenses if i have to leave moderate lifestyle.
About medical insurance i am sure my company will provide me that, but what i want to understand, like in usa the medical insurance cover all your doctor's visits right from normal cold/cough. However In India its only hospitalization is covered. So i would like to know how it works in Singapore?
Old Nov 25th 2012, 12:49 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Manglesh, I can't help you on any of that. Maybe one of our Singapore residents will be along shortly
Old Nov 25th 2012, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by contactmangesh
Thanks for your reply Backedbin. As i mentioned i am coming 1st time to Singapore so , will help me to plan if i have idea how much on an average for a family with 2 kids would be the expenses if i have to leave moderate lifestyle.
About medical insurance i am sure my company will provide me that, but what i want to understand, like in usa the medical insurance cover all your doctor's visits right from normal cold/cough. However In India its only hospitalization is covered. So i would like to know how it works in Singapore?
You will be fine in singer. Regard to your schooling question, there are public school your children can enrol but they in ballot system and its not free of charge. There's also tons of private school around. There's American, Chinese, Indian, Aussie international school for you to choose. Perhaps your company can help you with the school funding as well.

Moderate lifestyle can be vary to individual isn't it? Depend what your family looking for. I.e tingkat meal delivery every day, going out every weekend, live in a 3 bed condo not near the central, send one of your child for private school, having a car as main transport then you are looking at at least S$8k a month minimum.

Do you need a car? That will depend on your need. As long as you don't travel during peak hours you don't need a car. Well obviously it's always a lot more convenient to have a car especially you got a very young family. Singapore is the world most expensive place to buy or rent a car.

There's lots of differences type of medical coverage from different firms. There's hospitalized cover only and there's also cover everything like you mention above from normal surgeon to hospital. Our company aia cover dental as well. So no nasty bill like the uk. Hope this help. I'm sure that's lots of Singapore experts here to answer your questions more detail.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 2:04 am
Just Joined

Really gr8 information. I am very thankful to you. u r true Moderate life may vary. I more question might be stupid. But i am looking for saving for around 3,000 SGD a month. and looking at my family size. what should be my salary after tax. I know its bit odd question and there is no definite answer for this. But just an overall idea so that i may negotiate with my company for salary if it is really low.
Once again i am really thankful to you for the information you have provided. This forum is really awesome