Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Do you need a car in Singapore?

Do you need a car in Singapore?

Old May 25th 2012, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of
Default Re: Do you need a car in Singapore?

Originally Posted by vcf49
We haven't bothered with a car and we have a 6 month old baby. We chose to live within walking distance of a very central MRT (Orchard MRT - and managed to find an affordable clean condo - which was an amazing result), and whilst we're at the junction of two main bus routes, we usually survive with the MRT and an occassional taxi. The main supermarkets deliver and we have a little shop onsite for day to day stuff like milk. It is easy to survive without a car as the MRT system here is so good and Singapore is smaller than Anglesey! I don't miss driving and especially not with the SG way of driving - have witnessed one fatal crash in SG and husband has been in another much smaller one. Good luck!
Sadly we don't live near the MRT. If you don't need to travel in the rush hour with your little one then its ok. Do not travel in rush hour with your 6 months old. It will give you panic attack.

Not the Ferrari incident is it? All my Singaporean colleagues hate bloody foreigner now.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 3:19 am
Just Joined

vcf49 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Harlow Lad
Sadly we don't live near the MRT. If you don't need to travel in the rush hour with your little one then its ok. Do not travel in rush hour with your 6 months old. It will give you panic attack.

Not the Ferrari incident is it? All my Singaporean colleagues hate bloody foreigner now.
I've managed to get all the way from Orchard to Changi on the MRT with baby and buggy to pick up a visitor and all the way back on it too - but I make sure I'm never in any rush and am quite forthright about making sure I get in lifts (lots of queue jumpers) and through the correct barriers when people are misusing/abusing them. Knowing to follow the 'studded' flooring is a great help when trying to navigate unfamiliar stations at speed! I still find I'm more terrified on the London Underground than travelling here due to the lack of platform barriers in the UK.

No, it wasn't the Ferrari incident we witnessed. The one we saw was in Autumn 2011. The one my husband was in involved a taxi, but it wasn't the taxi drivers fault - unsurprisingly, it was someone trying to change lanes at a junction!
Old Jul 8th 2012, 4:21 am
Just Joined

jennlawrence is an unknown quantity at this point

We didn't have a car and we found that quite liberating.

A lot of my friends still there think the same, but I do know most with children have ended up giving in and getting one. With small children requiring car seats, it's the safety aspect; with older children it seems to be the "getting them all to different activities in different locations" issue.