Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Common Rooms in Singapore

Common Rooms in Singapore

Old Oct 12th 2010, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

benjamin_JT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Common Rooms in Singapore

Hello thar.

I'm planning to move to Singapore from Bristol (UK) for a few months within the next year or so. I'm on an almost student-level budget for housing (anything upwards of £500 a month is out of the question), yet through initial searches I've found some short-term lets at reasonable prices. However, they are listed as 'common rooms.' Does this mean that they are single bedrooms in a communal house/flat? Or are they shared bedrooms?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Common Rooms in Singapore

Just to help a bit.
They may be shared bedrooms but more likely to be that the living room, bathroom and kitchen is shared either with the family living there or other lodgers.
It's most likely to be an HDB flat but not necessarily.
If an HDB flat then the flat owner by law must also live there but this is not always the case.

If not HDB then more likely to be in a condo rather than a house.

The condo will have facilities, pool, gym, child play areas etc. The HDB flat will not have any of these facilities.

You should ask for more details and of course see the accommodation before accepting.

You say a short visit.
Is that work related or holiday or what?
I know that is a more personal question and you may not wish to answer it.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

benjamin_JT is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply

I plan first to take a week's holiday there, both to relax between jobs and pick up new contacts for work by shopping around my portfolio. I may move out there two-three months after that holiday. I'm a freelance Modelmaker, so while technically I'm self-employed, I can 'work for' any modelmaking company that has enough work passing through to pay me. The plan is to work in Singapore for three months, and it'll probably be mid-late 2011 when I make the jump.

I'm fine with sharing living room/kitchen/bathroom, but I couldn't share a bedroom. Now that the terminology of a 'common room' has been cleared up a bit I can reset my budget a little. Any other tips?
Old Oct 14th 2010, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

On e of the regulars on here, can't remember the name so apologies to them has given details and phtos iirc for a inexpensive but what looked from the photos to a very nice low budget hotel which you could use for your holiday and if you then like it use it for your 3 month stay.
You'll have to search the archive for that though unless the OP reads this.
I have heard of an HDB flat which lets rooms very cheaply and itself is cheap but very clean, but can't remember details. I'll try to come up with something on that.

During your 3 months working here you'll still be liable to UK tax I reckon.
Working in Singapore requires a work permit which you may not get unless you intend to move full time.
You'll need a sponsor for the work permit which is usually your employer.

Other posters may correct anything I've written which is incorrect.