Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Child born in Singapore to a British Father and Malaysian Mother

Child born in Singapore to a British Father and Malaysian Mother

Old Jun 6th 2016, 5:09 am
Just Joined

Wipam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Child born in Singapore to a British Father and Malaysian Mother

Hi,,

I am a British citizen by birth, I am married to my wife who is a Malaysian. We both live in Singapore. I would like to know, if my child born in Singapore, does she automatically get a British passport?

Your reply is much appreciated!

Thanks.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 5:51 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child born in Singapore to a British Father and Malaysian Mother

Originally Posted by Wipam
Hi,,

I am a British citizen by birth, I am married to my wife who is a Malaysian. We both live in Singapore. I would like to know, if my child born in Singapore, does she automatically get a British passport?

Thanks.
Welcome to BE.

If you are a British Citizen other than by descent, then yes your child will be a British Citizen by descent and you will be able to apply for a British Passport for them.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

But alias no Malaysian or Singaporean passport for them

Not sure if they were boys though?
Old Jun 7th 2016, 3:55 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Child born in Singapore to a British Father and Malaysian Mother

My friend (she and her spouse are British citizens) gave birth to a little girl at Mount Elizabeth hospital. She showed the birth certificate to me and we both smiled as it was boldly stamped in red ink: "Not A Singapore Citizen"

Btw; Wipam, are you and your wife Permanent Residents in Singapore? If you have any sons in Singapore (regardless of whether or not they were born there and even if not Singaporean citizens) are you aware that they will be liable to do National Service when they are older?

There is no obligation if you and the family leave Singapore permanently before any sons reach the age of 11, otherwise you must post a bond of 75000SGD or 150% of annual income (whichever is the higher amount) with the govt. from the age of 11 to ensure that the child returns to do his NS!

I had friends (husband a Kiwi and wife Singaporean) and they moved to New Zealand when their eldest son was 10.5 years old to avoid posting a bond (the husband was a lecturer at NUS).
Old Jun 7th 2016, 11:31 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey, that's a bit of a bummer
Old Jun 7th 2016, 11:50 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wipam
Hi,,

Thanks.
If you are a British citizen and you were born in the UK then your child will automatically be a British citizen by descent if they are born outside the UK.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks much Mike, appreciate the reply. Do you know what are the documentations needed for that?
Old Jun 15th 2016, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Hi Englishmum,

We are both not PR. I am on EP and my wife is on DP. Our first child is going to be a girl
Old Jun 15th 2016, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Brit!
Old Jun 15th 2016, 6:59 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

British Consular Birth Registration : British Expat Wiki

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Jun 16th 2016, 2:41 am
Just Joined

Thanks very much Brit. Appreciate it. Hope you have a good day ahead