The Buzz in Singapore

Old Oct 18th 2008, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Buzz in Singapore

now trying to decide between the 3 bed apartment in Villa Marina, which really isnt that dark after all.

and

a ground floor 2 bed (well more like a 1+1) in Cote D'Azur which has a fantastic patio which the owner has spent a fortune on! can easliy sit 6 out there and it effectively has its own koi pond!

decisions decisons!!
Old Oct 18th 2008, 3:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
thanks.
didn't like the apartment in Novena. We will concentrate on the East Coat.

talking of chips, where can I get a real decent fish,chips and mushy peas?
Harry's Bar on Boat Quay serves the best fish and chips according to hubby.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 12:31 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Harry's Bar on Boat Quay serves the best fish and chips according to hubby.
I'd say Molly Malone's, virtually behind the BQ Harry's

http://www.molly-malone.com/

but don't expect mushy peas.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 12:36 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so back to the important things (not that fish and chips are in any way unimportant!) - a ground floor apartment.

Hmmm, we lived in one on Holland Road for about 18 months. Seemed like a good idea at the time as the complex was brand new and virtually empty, and I wanted to feel like I was in a house. Of course the complex started to fill up and OMG the noise It didn't help that we had an extended Korean family move in to the apartments next to us, round the corner from us, and above us, and the ladies came and went at very unsociable hours as the family ran a restaurant (translation: karaoke club and the women were "hostesses"). We broke our lease with our landlord's understanding approval.

Only do it, IMHO, if you are well away from the pool, the kids' playground, the BBQ pits, the lifts, etc.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Ok so back to the important things (not that fish and chips are in any way unimportant!) - a ground floor apartment.

Hmmm, we lived in one on Holland Road for about 18 months. Seemed like a good idea at the time as the complex was brand new and virtually empty, and I wanted to feel like I was in a house. Of course the complex started to fill up and OMG the noise It didn't help that we had an extended Korean family move in to the apartments next to us, round the corner from us, and above us, and the ladies came and went at very unsociable hours as the family ran a restaurant (translation: karaoke club and the women were "hostesses"). We broke our lease with our landlord's understanding approval.

Only do it, IMHO, if you are well away from the pool, the kids' playground, the BBQ pits, the lifts, etc.
it is closish to a BBQ pit, but away from the pool and not many people would go past it for any other reason. the noise from the ECP is constant but even though its very close it doesnt seem any worse than in the higher apartments we looked at in blocks further away from the ECP.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 3:46 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Well probably not the right idea to choose a place because of its proximity to good eateries (though we did just that ) BUT Villa Marina is a very short stagger to Big Fish in East Coast Road.

http://www.bigfish3.com/index.html

Quite a bustling place - don't pick it if you're looking for a quiet night out.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by katongkaren
Well probably not the right idea to choose a place because of its proximity to good eateries (though we did just that ) BUT Villa Marina is a very short stagger to Big Fish in East Coast Road.

http://www.bigfish3.com/index.html

Quite a bustling place - don't pick it if you're looking for a quiet night out.

the places around there are one attraction but then again it looks like there are also nice places down on the Upper East coast road level with parkway parade. will be a difficult choice.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 4:12 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The Buzz in Singapore

Ah, the Colbar. Subject of many an argument on good ole ExpatSingapore.

I certainly wasn't a regular as it was a long way from Geylang (and hard to get to without a car) but IMHO they do the best chips in Asia.

He he.....we did end up at the Colbar at Sunday lunchtime - I had a lovely chicken curry with all the 'trimmings' washed down with a huge bottle of Tsing Tao. (Then crashed at 5pm due to the jetlag). My spouse had his usual - chicken cutlet and chips - and they were so good that he wished he'd ordered a double portion of chips. They still have up all the old pictures of their football team the "Colbar Tigers" and we knew a few of the guys in the teams. We were impressed that there is a much larger covered area outside for eating compared to their previous location.

I was amazed that the co-owner Mrs Lim remembered me after all these years - my first time back in 8 years! I gave her a big hug and as we were leaving in the tropical rainstorm she handed me a large umbrella to borrow as mine was too small to cope with the deluge. She didn't recognise my husband at all, but then again he was about 7 or 8 stones heavier when we frequented the place before we left for the States....
Old Oct 20th 2008, 4:13 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Englishmum
He he.....we did end up at the Colbar at Sunday lunchtime - I had a lovely chicken curry with all the 'trimmings' washed down with a huge bottle of Tsing Tao. (Then crashed at 5pm due to the jetlag). My spouse had his usual - chicken cutlet and chips - and they were so good that he wished he'd ordered a double portion of chips. They still have up all the old pictures of their football team the "Colbar Tigers" and we knew a few of the guys in the teams. We were impressed that there is a much larger covered area outside for eating compared to their previous location.

I was amazed that the co-owner Mrs Lim remembered me after all these years - my first time back in 8 years! I gave her a big hug and as we were leaving in the tropical rainstorm she handed me a large umbrella to borrow as mine was too small to cope with the deluge. She didn't recognise my husband at all, but then again he was about 7 or 8 stones heavier when we frequented the place before we left for the States....

Hey don't let Mr Englishmum eat too many of those chips - losing 7 or 8 stones is quite an achievement - very impressive.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 4:22 am
Auntie Fa

People say customer service in Singapore is pants, and usually they are right. You do however find some little gems. Years ago we ate at the Middle Eastern restaurant in HV. About a year later we went again, and the manager said, "Hello, Mr X, your usual table?". He sat us at it, too.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 1:37 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: The Buzz in Singapore

People say customer service in Singapore is pants, and usually they are right. You do however find some little gems. Years ago we ate at the Middle Eastern restaurant in HV. About a year later we went again, and the manager said, "Hello, Mr X, your usual table?". He sat us at it, too.
I could barely recognise Holland Village when I drove through it this morning. It's one huge construction site with a new MRT station being built. Actually the whole of the island seems to be one huge construction site, I was astonished to see how many cranes there are. It feels like Sim City here....
Old Oct 21st 2008, 2:14 am
Auntie Fa

I've never really liked HV. Even when we lived near the junction of Holland Road and Farrar Road, we didn't go there much. Since George and his wonderful steakhouse left, there's really not much attraction there any more. (When I visited Toni & Guy after living in Geylang for four years, I got culture shock - all those blondes )

The view out from the Esplanade and One Fullerton is a bit of a mess too, isn't it? But roll on those IRs! Gambling? No, of course they're not primarily for gambling; we don't approve of gambling.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

TBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud ofTBird has much to be proud of

Haven't searched, to be honest. If I find a good one, I'll get even fatter than I am Bizarrely I wandered through a food court near Circular Quay one day (in a touristy little mall) and saw a huge queue of office workers at a laksa stall, so it may be worth a try one day when I'm over there.

I go to Chatswood a lot, which of course has lots of Asian food. I feel very at home there - one day I was the only non-Chinese customer in Gloria Jean's.

I felt at home in Sydney very quickly. Having friends here (both from the UK and Singapore) helps a lot, and we'd been here a few times already. The Geek also transferred and knew a lot of his colleagues, so there wasn't much culture shock really. Winter was another matter entirely...

The couple of days we had in Singapore the other weekend were lovely, but convinced us it was the right move for us as a couple, and my husband health-wise.
Seasider.....I lived in S'pore for years and moved to Sydney, (Although now live in the Big sandpit) I still crave the food... best place to get a good laksa, although a bit out of the way but definately worth the country trip from Mcmahons point is
Temasek Restaurant....here's the address just in case you get the urge/craving
71 George St
Parramatta, NSW 2150, Australia
(02) 9633 9926‎
Old Apr 16th 2009, 9:14 pm
Auntie Fa

Originally Posted by TBird
Seasider.....I lived in S'pore for years and moved to Sydney, (Although now live in the Big sandpit) I still crave the food... best place to get a good laksa, although a bit out of the way but definately worth the country trip from Mcmahons point is
Temasek Restaurant....here's the address just in case you get the urge/craving
71 George St
Parramatta, NSW 2150, Australia
(02) 9633 9926‎
Excellent, I will make a note and we'll drive out there one weekend, thanks.

I recently did a night class at Mosman High School and found a noodle bar a few doors away that did passable Malay food. Monday nights were a treat