Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Advice for transportation and area to live

Advice for transportation and area to live

Old Jan 9th 2013, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

hello222 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for transportation and area to live

My husband and I have a housing budget of maximum S$7,000. His office is near Tanjong Pagar MRT Station.

We heard about East Coast is a nice place to live, however, we understand that there is no MRT there. We will be given a company car but is it much more practical to go by MRT than by car?

If he goes to work by MRT, is there somewhere he can park his car free of charge near the MRT? How do the expats go to work if they live in the East Coast area?

Is there any other areas easy to get to work, with some green that you can recommend?

Many thanks
Old Jan 9th 2013, 12:46 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for transportation and area to live

Parking will cost you money just about everwhere in Sing. Surely your husband's workplace will have parking facilities?
Old Jan 9th 2013, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

We have not checked this out yet. Does rental price of the flat usually include a car park as well? Many thanks
Old Jan 10th 2013, 2:00 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I have never rented in Singapore but I would've thought you would get one parking space at least. Check with landlord. Maybe best to check with employer about parking too. If they are providing a car (and Sing is most expensive place in whole world to own a car) I imagine they would expect you to use it?

When considering public transport, also consider weather. When it is monsooning you cannot just pick up a brolly and walk to bus stop.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for information regarding the weather. I have never thought of it.

How do locals go to work when it is rainning very heavily or during monsoon time? Will the rainning coat that I buy in UK too heavy for Singapore?
Old Jan 10th 2013, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Flostan is on a distinguished road

It is still hot although raining and personally I couldn't bear the thought of a mac as for me it would be too hot and sticky. When it rains here it really rains! As soon as the dark clouds come, order a taxi as you won't get one otherwise. I am surprised that everyone assumes we have a car but so far my husband walks to work (cooler in the morning) or takes the bus.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 10:01 am
Just Joined

lyndam is an unknown quantity at this point

my head is totally bursting trying to decide where to live! x
Old Jan 16th 2013, 11:43 am
Just Joined

SingaporeGuide is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I might be able to help. For $7000 you can easily can house in any location.

Firstly, East Coast is a very nice place to live, as it is near the beach and can be very windy in the day. However, like what you mentioned, there is no MRT there, so it can be very inaccessible as well.

With regards to the question for transport, monthly car expenses are very high in Singapore. This includes parkings, ERP rates and fuel consumption. Parking is usually free at workplace (for condominiums) but chargeable at workplace . So MRT will definitely be more practical, while car will be more convenient.

Do let me know your budget (in SGD) so that I can advise you where would be a good place to stay.

Originally Posted by hello222
My husband and I have a housing budget of maximum S$7,000. His office is near Tanjong Pagar MRT Station.

We heard about East Coast is a nice place to live, however, we understand that there is no MRT there. We will be given a company car but is it much more practical to go by MRT than by car?

If he goes to work by MRT, is there somewhere he can park his car free of charge near the MRT? How do the expats go to work if they live in the East Coast area?

Is there any other areas easy to get to work, with some green that you can recommend?

Many thanks
Old Jan 16th 2013, 12:24 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SingaporeGuide

Do let me know your budget (in SGD) so that I can advise you where would be a good place to stay.
Im confused ... are you an estate agent?
Old Jan 16th 2013, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

SingaporeGuide is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope. I'm a student. Haha.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 5:58 am
Just Joined

SGborn is an unknown quantity at this point

Bukit Timah will be nice and green. MRT in this area doesn't arrive till 2015, but it's close-ish to DOVER MRT and Clementi MRT, which take you to Tanjong Pagar MRT. So you can check accommodation around this area as well. Good Luck.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Thank you very much, SGborn, I will look into it.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

SGborn is an unknown quantity at this point

FYI accommodation will come with a parking space if you need it. You should also look in the Pasir Panjang area, as it's on the Circle MRT line. A new and quieter line for commuting. To get a sense of where everything is look up http://www.onemap.sg
Old Jan 21st 2013, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

The website is very helpful. Many thanks
Old Mar 24th 2013, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Dafy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

ive just moved over from the UK, and had exactly the same issues..where to settle.

Through an expat site i managed to find a lovely place in Bukit Batok which is about 30 mins by MRT outside where i work on Shenton way, Tajong Pagar MRT.

The only thing to consider is the trains are usually packed for commuting so i am trying the bus tomorrow morning..great way to site see and also i get a seat...Yipee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.