stiwi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice Needed.

Originally Posted by Seasider
Completely OT but I'll answer, with apologies to Ksea
[...]
Thanks.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 2:03 am
Emeritus Senior Minister

Paul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ksea
I'm a Thai having been living and working in the US for more than 15 years. I'm currently in Los Angeles. I might be getting a permanent job in Singapore (as opposed to being an expatriate moving to Singapore temporarily).

- I have about 8 years of solid work experience, and my work experience is exactly what the company is looking for. I have an M.S. and a Ph.D. degrees from a reputable university in the US and have engineering licenses in multiple states.

- I would be offered a Senior Structural Engineer position there. The base salary would be about S$ 96k.

- I would get a relocation package that I still do not know what would be included.

- The other benefits are pretty much similar to typical benefits; e.g., 18 days for vacation, sick leave days, insurances, etc.

- The bonus would be between 2-5 months depending on my performance.

- They would be apply an EP for me with a renewal every two years.

- My wife and my daughter (1 year old) would be moving with me.

Is there anything else important I need to consider or should be included in the package?
I have lived in both U.S. and Singapore, so I can give you some advice.

Are you a Thai Thai or Thai Chinese? Sorry to ask, but race does matter on how well you can integrate in Singapore. Even though Singapore is a multi-cultural country, it helps if you are Chinese and/or can speak Mandarin.

You will lose your green card if you are away for 1 year I think, so consider that carefully. Green cards are not easy to come by. If your kid was born in the U.S., she can still claim U.S. citizenship, so the kid is set.

$96K is on high side for an engineer. They are paying you more because of your experience and education. It is a good base salary. It depends on your life style though. If you are willing to live in an HDB flat and take public transport, you will be able to save half of your salary. If you insist on living in landed house and drive a luxury car, then $96K is not enough.

Maids are cheap in Singapore ($400-$500 per month). You can get one to help out with your kid. This is something you cannot get in the U.S.

Cars are very expensive. Around $100K for Toyota Corolla, for example. Since you are an engineer, you might get a car. Try to negotiate for car allowance or company car. Standard car allowance is around $1500 per month, I think. With the baby, having a car is a life saver.

You will get P1 EP (highest grade) with your salary. It is pretty easy to get Permanent Residence with that kind of EP. Just apply after 6 months of working. Remember, they will deduct CPF if you are PR which will set you back about $1000 per month. You can use that money to pay for house payment if you buy a flat in Singapore. You can get the CPF money back when you leave Singapore permanently.

Tax is very low in Singapore. It is at most 20%. You can deduct for your wife and kid as usual.

Personally, if I were you, I would stay in the U.S. I know U.S. is in a rough patch and Asia is rising, but in the long run, I still think U.S. is better. However, it's your life, so it's your choice.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 8:23 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

So the job I'm going for is paying $25,000/month, 2 bed flat (dunno where), school fees etc.

I'm divorced, but the company will pay school fees world-wide. I'll be there on my own.

I'm thinking go for it.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 2:23 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh go for it. Life's too short... and Singapore's a great place for kids.