Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Accepted Post in Singapore!!!

Accepted Post in Singapore!!!

Old Jun 12th 2013, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

chillitofu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accepted Post in Singapore!!!

I just accepted my post in Singapore and will expect to move in August!

I welcome any help on what I need to do next?

I will be working for a company based in SG and with a local Sing contract on expat package.
I guess when I have contract signed and approx. date I will need to pay school registration fee? Preference is OFS as its close my office, as a I will be moving as single parent want my son near me.
Company provide me with an apartment for 2-3 weeks.

What do I need to bring and what do I need to do before leaving UK and on arrival? ( I have no property to sell in UK).

thanks in advance.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 8:14 am
Banned

jason.mantle1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Accepted Post in Singapore!!!

Hi,

Singapore is a great city to live in; especially very safe, so you will have no worries about your son in that regard.

As such, Singapore is an accommodating place but the rules are pretty strict; they do no make leeways for anyone, so make sure all your papers and documents are in place for making the shift.

Since you're moving alone with your son, you might want the hassle of finding a house sorted out first. It's great that your company is giving you accommodation for 2-3 weeks. My suggestion is, start looking for a place to live right away. Singapore is busy; expats are always looking for housing.(SNIP)
Besides that, I've lived in the SE Asia region for a while, so in case you have any more questions, do feel free to PM me. Happy relocating to you!

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jun 18th 2013 at 1:53 pm. Reason: Advice please, is appreciated, but please not the promotional ads :-)
Old Jun 18th 2013, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

chillitofu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jason.mantle1
Hi,

Singapore is a great city to live in; especially very safe, so you will have no worries about your son in that regard.

As such, Singapore is an accommodating place but the rules are pretty strict; they do no make leeways for anyone, so make sure all your papers and documents are in place for making the shift.

Since you're moving alone with your son, you might want the hassle of finding a house sorted out first. It's great that your company is giving you accommodation for 2-3 weeks. My suggestion is, start looking for a place to live right away. Singapore is busy; expats are always looking for housing.(SNIP)
Besides that, I've lived in the SE Asia region for a while, so in case you have any more questions, do feel free to PM me. Happy relocating to you!
hi thanks for your reply..i did wonder where everyone was..with so few replies!
Employer will take of my EP and my son's DP, plus they provide an apartment for a few weeks till I get my own place.
So far still waiting for past few days for them to agree some terms for such as flexible working if required etc.....so its possible my move could stall.

If we do go plan to bring most items in 3-4 suitacases as we have no furniture to bring. I don't get a car but know buses/mrt are easy to use.

any suggestions for after school kids activities welcome as my son will be at school till about 430-5pm each day; but I don't finish the office till about 6pm. I am not sure if I need a full time nanny for a 11year old?

thanks
Old Jun 27th 2013, 6:14 am
Just Joined

Darcie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi! I only moved to Singapore in November last year with my husband and 2 children (4 and 1), so I'm still a newbie myself! Not sure I'll be much help, but here's my thoughts...

- We were advised to bring photocopies of our passports, birth certificates and our children's immunisation records. It's amazing how many people need copies of these things, so if you already have that done you're one step ahead.

- I would call OFS to make sure there's a place for your son, and line up visits to the schools you are interested in before you leave the UK. That way you can narrow down where you would like to live.

- The further away from Orchard the cheaper the accommodation generally. If you plan on getting the MRT, a lot of condos have shuttle buses that run to the nearest MRT station, so that might offer a greater choice for you.

- As for after school clubs, your son's school might offer extra classes or you could check out enrichment centres. Alternatively, you might want to consider a live-in maid. That way you get to spend more quality time with your son (rather than cleaning and cooking!) and there is another consistent guardian around for him.

Like I said, I'm still new, but if there's anything else you need just ask
Old Jul 25th 2013, 6:41 am
Just Joined

Daniel Ho is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Chillitofu,

My suggestions will be as below, by piority

1. Find a good international school for your child in Singapore first, as application, registration, buying of books and uniform for your child takes time.

2. When the acceptance of school can be confirmed by email, set the location for residential near work or school, or in between depending how you saving on transport time and costs

3. Select a house, either private apartment or public housing with your budget range. View, if suitable then do all the paper work and sign the tenancy agreement.

Let me know (pm me) if you need help in finding an apartment for staying and the costs for renting in Singapore. I will be glad to help out