Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Back to Study in UK from oz

Back to Study in UK from oz

Old Oct 24th 2012, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

master777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Back to Study in UK from oz

Hey guys, I'm a student graduating from my final year of high school in Perth, Australia. I am interested in studying english after school and really want to study it at a uni in the UK. Now i have heard i would not be entitled to benefits as i havnt resided there in the last three years. So what I'm thinking, will they treat me as a international student despite my British citizenship? And also will i have to retake my High school education (eg A-levels etc).

Please help me guys, this is quite a conundrum
Old Oct 24th 2012, 1:21 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to Study in UK from oz

Originally Posted by master777
Hey guys, I'm a student graduating from my final year of high school in Perth, Australia. I am interested in studying english after school and really want to study it at a uni in the UK. Now i have heard i would not be entitled to benefits as i havnt resided there in the last three years. So what I'm thinking, will they treat me as a international student despite my British citizenship? And also will i have to retake my High school education (eg A-levels etc).

From what you have written you will be considered an international student, and you won't be entitled to UK government backed student tuition loans etc.

Use UCAS to locate universities you are interested in, and then check with those universities for admission requirements.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 3:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
From what you have written you will be considered an international student, and you won't be entitled to UK government backed student tuition loans etc.

Use UCAS to locate universities you are interested in, and then check with those universities for admission requirements.
And with that in mind...it might be cheaper to study else where in the EU...plenty of decent uni's in France, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany are offering courses in English, that would be cheaper.

It's just an option to consider.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You may find that you are required to do a foundation year (as a fee paying international student) - check with the university of your choice as the others have said
Old Oct 24th 2012, 4:23 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

If your parents moved to Australia on a temporary work contract, then you may be eligible for home fees and other benefits due to UK residents, like student loans. This isn't usually the case with Australia, but I thought I'd mention it.

It must clearly be a temporary overseas work situation, not just an "Oh, we always intended to come back" type situation.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 6:13 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaydonc
It is a good idea to study back in the UK for you English because there are some good and basic English skills you can learn.
He already has basic English skills. He wants to study English at the university level.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

My daughter has just been through the UCAS application process (she had to apply by the 15th October deadline) as we might be returning to the UK next year and we wanted to cover all bases.

Prior to making her application she did a lot of research as to which unis she was interested in and then emailed the admissions team for the subject she wants to study to see if Australian qualifications would be acceptable. Some of them responded that Australian qualifications would not be acceptable, but others have said that they are acceptable and also indicated the minimum ATAR they would require. She then used this information to finalise her choices and she is now waiting to hear.

The big difference she found compared to the uni applications she made here was the requirement for her to submit a personal statement and provide contact details of someone who would submit a reference (in her case her head teacher).

We have accepted that she will be an international student because we have been away from the UK for almost seven years and cannot claim that this was a temporary posting, despite the fact that it was always intended to be!

Best of luck.