Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Scaffolding in Canada

Scaffolding in Canada

Old Oct 11th 2012, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Elena86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Scaffolding in Canada

Hey, me, my husband and son are looking to move to Canada. My husbands a scaffolder here and he is fully qualified. Are scaffolders in demand at the moment? How are the wages?
Any infomation on scaffolding in Canada would be grateful, thanks.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 9:07 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scaffolding in Canada

Consider applying to event and stage supply companies. they seem to use a lot of scaffolding.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 9:18 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

hmm, can't say I've seen much scaffolding around. Wonder why not?
Old Oct 11th 2012, 10:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elena86
Hey, me, my husband and son are looking to move to Canada. My husbands a scaffolder here and he is fully qualified. Are scaffolders in demand at the moment? How are the wages?
Any infomation on scaffolding in Canada would be grateful, thanks.
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Can I ask why you've decided against the US? It's just that for the US you all have an easy route to a visa (well, not you obviously as you're a citizen!).

Whereas for Canada your husband will need to not only find a job offer from an employer prepared to go through the paperwork/hassle/wait of hiring him, he'd then need to get a positive Labour Market Opinion (which the employer has to apply for, to prove they've advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job).

Then once you've done all that, your husband will be there on a
Temporary Work Permit (tied to his employer), and you won't be able to work without going through the same hassle and finding a job offer & LMO. And because a scaffolder isn't deemed to be a 'skilled' job, there are only certain provinces where you'll be able to apply for PR unless you can find a 'skilled' job of your own.

You're the first person I've ever said this to, but I think the US will be a hell if a lot easier for you! Sorry to be negative, but if you want to be back in North America I'm not sure Canada is going to be your easiest option.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 11th 2012 at 10:05 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Elena86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, yeah we can easily get into America it's just his line of work isnt doing well over there. I have family in America so it would be so much easier for us but im worried he wont be able to find a job scaffolding. Its always been our first choice but we heard scaffolders are in demand in Canada and a few people from his work have moved over doing scaffolding.

We're just not sure what the right move is, what would be more of a risk or if we could live on the wages scaffolders get in America. We are prepared to move where the work is. All we know is that we want to get out of England so we are looking at all options!
Old Oct 12th 2012, 1:16 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Scaffolding is a nightmare here..there tend not to be scaffolding companies that operate in the construction industry here..many of the trades will put up and take down bits of scaffold themselves..or just use small platforms of scissor lifts or zoom booms etc etc..for me this is the biggest safety issue out there.