Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What you wished you had left behind...

What you wished you had left behind...

Old Jul 16th 2011, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute
Default What you wished you had left behind...

I know there is a thread what you wished you had taken with you, however, I'm more thinking we have waaaaay to much stuff, I want to take everything and probably need a wake up call! I know (based on knowledge 10+ years ago tho) that the majority of rentals in Australia are not furnished, as opposed to the UK where a lot of rentals are.

I know you can't know for sure what will be included in a rental, as it would differ from house to house. So did you take the kitchen sink and regret it? If I had a Belfast I would definitely be taking that!!

Hubby is in the vein of we'll buy when we get there, however, I've heard that whitegoods etc.. are much more expensive so I really want to take it all. We would run the risk of finding a furnished rental, just my luck... and so then what would we do with it all?!

Experiences welcomed
Old Jul 16th 2011, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

perthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really nice
Default Re: What you wished you had left behind...

My husband.........

We brought pretty much the entire contents of our house, well all that would fit in a 20ft container (which is a lot)

The only thing I regret bringing is a couple of wardrobes.....most houses have built in ones, it's not really a regret though more like "oh well we didn't need that after all"
They make useful storage in the garage though!

My advise would be to bring as much as you can, if things aren't needed you can get rid of them here, or sell them.
X
Old Jul 17th 2011, 7:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing. We bought this house and the woman selling left us her dishwasher. It was working well, so we didn't unpack our dishwasher, just stored it in the shed and three years later when her's died, we had a replacement ready and waiting.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by OneSmallVoice
I know there is a thread what you wished you had taken with you, however, I'm more thinking we have waaaaay to much stuff, I want to take everything and probably need a wake up call! I know (based on knowledge 10+ years ago tho) that the majority of rentals in Australia are not furnished, as opposed to the UK where a lot of rentals are.

I know you can't know for sure what will be included in a rental, as it would differ from house to house. So did you take the kitchen sink and regret it? If I had a Belfast I would definitely be taking that!!

Hubby is in the vein of we'll buy when we get there, however, I've heard that whitegoods etc.. are much more expensive so I really want to take it all. We would run the risk of finding a furnished rental, just my luck... and so then what would we do with it all?!

Experiences welcomed

My nearly new washing machine. It didn't seem to like the move over and stopped working after a few washes once we arrived. I think condensation must have got into the control panel during its time at sea and it was never the same, at the time front loaders were few and far betweeen in Oz and no spares for my super duper LG could be found so we ended up buying another not so good machine a few weeks after being in the country.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard that it is very difficult to get front loading washing machines over there. Everyone I know seems to have humungous top loaders whcih takes aout three times the loads the front loaders take. Our wm is only 1.5 years old so I'm thinking we should take it... however, hubby is thinking why not just offer it with the house sale and earn a little extra. ....

What about TV's did you all take them?
Old Jul 17th 2011, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard that it is very difficult to get front loading washing machines over there. Everyone I know seems to have humungous top loaders whcih takes aout three times the loads the front loaders take. Our wm is only 1.5 years old so I'm thinking we should take it... however, hubby is thinking why not just offer it with the house sale and earn a little extra. ....

We bought a front loader washing machine, it was not in the slightest bit difficult to find one and the price was not that bad, although if you are buying out of £ brought with you rather than $ salary most things will seem pricey. If you have a machine you might as well bring it, we left ours in the house as we are renting it out.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

that advice about front loaders you have been given is out of date...very common these days.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fish.01
that advice about front loaders you have been given is out of date...very common these days.
I suspected it might have been, I guess it depends on whether you have a large family and space too.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I suspected it might have been, I guess it depends on whether you have a large family and space too.
Not sure what you mean by space as i thought they were fairly similar size but as you say the top loaders used to take far more than the front loaders. That difference is shrinking as large front load models have appeared and you can pack front loaders tighter than top loaders apparently. Still probably a difference though.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fish.01
Not sure what you mean by space as i thought they were fairly similar size but as you say the top loaders used to take far more than the front loaders. That difference is shrinking as large front load models have appeared and you can pack front loaders tighter than top loaders apparently. Still probably a difference though.
When we visited friends and family in Feb this year I saw two huge top loaders, definitely not the sort you would hide under a cupboard in your kitchen UK styleee! I'm only basing it on two different people's houses tho so probably not a good representation!
Old Jul 17th 2011, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

You don't do your washing in the kitchen here. The laundry is usually a separate room, sometimes in the garage and sometimes in the bathroom.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lesleys
You don't do your washing in the kitchen here. The laundry is usually a separate room, sometimes in the garage and sometimes in the bathroom.
Yes, I know... I was brought up in Australia... anyway what I meant was I only saw top loading machines when I was there and had heardthat it was difficult to buy front loading but seems that is not the case any more
Old Jul 17th 2011, 10:56 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
In some houses....not in a lot of Queenslanders.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 11:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

...all the negativity and grumpyness that you Poms are famous for

Last edited by Amazulu; Jul 17th 2011 at 11:09 am.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 11:37 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
...all the negativity and grumpyness that you Poms are famous for
Bugger. Can't give you any more karma.

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.