Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Anyone want to be a roughneck?????

Anyone want to be a roughneck?????

Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:29 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone want to be a roughneck?????

As the title says.

O/h looking for 1 maybe 2 roughnecks to start after spring break (roughly end of April).

Positions suitable for someone who is superfit (from my personal experience of pst roughnecks - former office staff don't cut it!), not incredibly stupid and age isn't really an issue.

Background.....................

Roughnecks on oil rigs are the lowest of the low - they get yelled at (all the time) and they have the crappiest jobs to do (of which I have no idea of what they are but you're basically a runaround).

That said, if you have bad roughnecks on your crew then things don't run smoothly, and a good rig has 2 good crews on it on any given day (a day crew and a night crew, your first week is lkely to be nights - you do a short change on the second wednesday to then start days for the last week).

O/h has run off 3 roughnecks this year already and will be finishing 1 maybe both of his others at spring break - for the simple reason they don't work hard enough, don't use their heads to do things without being told and are basically "F*****g useless" (not my words).

Plus sides of the job wages are around $25 p/h for the first 8 then $37.50 for the next 4 per day (12 hour shifts) and you work 2 and 1 (2 weeks out one at home). Theres also a $140 a day living allowance. (So on a 2 week hitch you'll be earning around $6900) Full decent benefits after 3 months (if you last that long ) and if you prove your worth you can progress through the ranks - a good roughneck will likely be promoted to motorhand after 12 / 18 months.

Downsides

The rig owns you!!!!!! Do not expect to be home for Xmas, new year, valentines, anniversaries, birthdays weddings or any other event you may wish to go to - if your rig is working - so are you end of story. Your time off comes at spring break and your weeks off.

This rig is currently in SK, it doesn't matter where the potential roughnecks come from as long as they can get to the rig at the start of their shift (2 of the guys currently live in Kamloops and make the drive there and back without any issues). Theres no travel allowance.

The weather sucks - last week the boiler broke down and the guys did a whole shift in temps with a windchill down to minus 45 - suck it up its the job - theres no complaining about hot / cold / tired / aching - you are there to work whatever the conditions.

If theres no work on the rig you don't get paid - simple. You don't get paid on your week off. (last year some rigs were down for as long as 8 months - you seriously need to bear this in mind - though this year is looking better - however due to the downturn thats why there are so many jobs going - some were so disillusioned with the whole industry they got out and won't go back - so be warned).

You need a vehicle that can transport you to and from the rig in any weather conditions.

Theres no lunch / coffee breaks on the shift - you eat when you can grab a minute.

If a roughneck from another crew can't make it for some reason you may well be expected to stay in and do a longer hitch (you don't lose brownie points for saying no but it helps if you can)

Ummm thats about it really - or its as much as I know about the job. If you are interested then send me a pm - i'll pass on details to o/h who will be in touch nearer the time. He's a good guy and really fair but doesn't suffer fools gladly.

DO NOT SEND ME MESSAGES ASKING IF THE JOB WILL SPONSOR YOU FOR PR - IT WILL NOT, AND I'LL SEND YOU A SNOTTY REPLY BACK.

Last edited by mandymoochops; Feb 15th 2011 at 6:42 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:47 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone want to be a roughneck?????

Do you have to bring your own packed lunch?
Old Feb 15th 2011, 6:49 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Do you have to bring your own packed lunch?
You have to bring all of your own food for the two weeks (I've just been shopping for Mr MMC's supplies ) unless you fully intend to use your living allowance on staying in hotels and eating in the restaurants.

But thanks for asking.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:06 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I have a hard helmet.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:14 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Awesome you're hired
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:15 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Awesome you're hired

I have safety shoes... does that help?
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:26 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Originally Posted by iaink

I have safety shoes... does that help?
mmmmm shoes probably won't be of much use - get some kamik rigger boots and you'll be sorted!
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:28 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
mmmmm shoes probably won't be of much use - get some kamik rigger boots and you'll be sorted!
Could swing that perhaps.

How is the internet access up there in the Sask oilfields...got to keep up my day job moding here
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:34 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Could swing that perhaps.

How is the internet access up there in the Sask oilfields...got to keep up my day job moding here
mmm well the house the guys rent there has wireless all hooked up - so afterhours is good. And if you are miles out in the bush in a remote location then they ship in one of those big saucer thingies - but you want to be able to use the internet on shift?????

"Open the door Carol there's another one on the way out..................."
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

How far is it to the nearest hookers?
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:00 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
mmmmm well they are not in Fort Mac at the minute so unfortunately not as near as they would hope

Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:01 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

**** me, they can get internet access in the middle of the Saskatchewan bush, but I cant get it at my house 15km from the 401!
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of cheese and sausages are available....and I hope I don't have to watch that horrible Canadian/American TV while not at the rig.....throw in some marmite and I'm there.
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

**** me, they can get internet access in the middle of the Saskatchewan bush, but I cant get it at my house 15km from the 401!
I've just been reading this Iain: http://www.xplornet.com/4g.aspx

Might be worth keeping an eye on.
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Really! Mandy wouldn't know. Mr. Chops wouldn't tell her that, would he?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.