Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Anyone want to be a roughneck?????

Anyone want to be a roughneck?????

Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:17 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone want to be a roughneck?????

Originally Posted by iaink
**** me, they can get internet access in the middle of the Saskatchewan bush, but I cant get it at my house 15km from the 401!
The powers that be in Calgary need to know everything as and when it happened - they'd make sure there was internet on the moon if it came to it!
Old Feb 16th 2011, 12:06 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Are there nice hot showers and comfy chairs?? Maybe a hot tub?
How far is the nearest Indian takeaway and do they deliver?
Old Feb 16th 2011, 4:27 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Are there nice hot showers and comfy chairs?? Maybe a hot tub?
How far is the nearest Indian takeaway and do they deliver?

In the house the guys are renting at the minute yup but seeing as theres 7 of them I wouldn't want to be in the bathroom too long! - unfortunately no hot tub

You actually made me think of another job "requirement" as follows

me on the phone to o/h on his last stint

"Hey babe how did today go??"
"alright I suppose, same shit different day and all that"
"awesome so you all done and settled in at the house for the evening"
"yup just cracked a beer, and suppers cooking"
"awwwww you're cooking supper - thats domestic of you!"
"F**k no i'm not cooking supper, thats what roughnecks are for................"

(edited to add o/h does drive some of the guys to and from the rig - he's not that much of an arsehole - so the supper cooking was just a payback!)

Last edited by mandymoochops; Feb 16th 2011 at 4:30 am.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:25 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Hi Vis jacket !
Old Feb 16th 2011, 4:44 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
I have a Hi Vis jacket !
oooooooooh front runner now .........
Old Feb 16th 2011, 9:09 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm loving the job description here..no HR spin..oh how I wish I could advertise like this.

the HR police rule out at my place my realistic job descs!
Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:22 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Originally Posted by Bali2010
I'm loving the job description here..no HR spin..oh how I wish I could advertise like this.

the HR police rule out at my place my realistic job descs!
well its not really a "job advert" as such there's probably a million and one rules broken - more of a "this is what hubby wants you better know all the facts" type thing.

Another thing came up just before he left this morning actually.......

"ah shit I forgot to get the oil changed in the truck"
"well pop into GM ont the way this morning and get it done there?"
"ahhh stuff it i'll take a filter and some oil with me, i'll get the motorhand to change it later"

(obviously roughnecks can't do oil changes!!!!!!)
Old Feb 17th 2011, 3:44 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
As the title says.

Roughnecks on oil rigs are the lowest of the low - they get yelled at (all the time) and they have the crappiest jobs to do (of which I have no idea of what they are but you're basically a runaround).
I can't quite get my head around Canadians shouting at English people. It just doesn’t seem natural. So I don't think that will work.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 4:03 am
Sawdust making harpy

Originally Posted by Oink
I can't quite get my head around Canadians shouting at English people. It just doesn’t seem natural. So I don't think that will work.
Well it absolutely wouldn't happen in this case, as we well know the good old BE's are perfect, and therefore will never incur the wrath of a Canadian.

Job done.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I have it the other way around - I get to shout at the Canadians For some reason that sadly seems to be the oilfield culture here , If i tried it back in Aberdeen I would more than likely spend 90% of my time with a sore face