Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver Confidential

Vancouver Confidential

Old Jun 13th 2009, 4:48 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vancouver Confidential

Vancouver is often touted as the ‘best place on earth’ etc. Here are a few of my thoughts when it comes to living in Vancouver (I like Vancouver so will try and not be biased).

Negatives –

Real estate – average price of an house in metro Vancouver is around $589,000 for a detached home, although in Vancouver proper, at least on the west side, good luck, I’d say a tad under a million will get you an entry level house. Townhouses and condos are more realistic but too demand top dollar.

Pay – given the status of Vancouver as a supposed world class city and the cost of homes, you’d expect inflated wages – truth is there aren’t. Average wage is around 22 buck an hour or 45,000 per year (yes I’m generalizing). Vancouver has no head quarters for companies here

Traffic congestion – can be bad if you have to cross a bridge. One accident can turn the commute into a deathly slow crawl.

Homelessness – in Vancouver there are an estimated 1500 – 2000 homeless people. Many of these call the Down Town East Side (dtes) home. A drive through the DTES is like a scene from Escape from New York . It’s a relatively small area that locals know to avoid. Having said that, you never here about anyone wandering in and not getting out alive! I dare say the bark is worse than the bite, but of a culture shock. As an aside, Vancouver actually has more social housing than anywhere else in the nation and, despite what many may think, the city has tried to address the issue but I fear it’s too big of a problem, fuelled by mental illness and drugs. There is also something of street culture at play that draws the homeless to the area.

Crime – there were a rash of shootings in metro Vancouver this year (only one was actually in Vancouver proper) but it appears to have settled – otherwise crime is really not bad in Vancouver, no more than any where else and the city is very safe to walk around at night.

Nightlife – night life can be decidedly dull. Those used to world class night clubs etc, bopping until the sun comes up may be in for a let down. There is also nothing that resembles the brit pub culture – although I’ve yet to see it anywhere outside of the UK .

Winter weather – rains a lot between nov and march and gets quite overcast. Only gets about 25 percent of all day light as sunshine (more or less the same as Manchester year round).

Car Insurance – higher than the uk – although no road tax or mot. Average vehicle would be around 1200 – 1300 per year (assuming no claims). Used vehicles are more expensive – due to the fact that they hold their value here much more so than in the UK. – new vehicles are much cheaper here as is gas.

Positives

Rent – is reasonable when compared to the price of real estate and most rentals include principle bills – no council tax (called property tax here) unless you own – renters don’t pay.

Liveability – life style

This is really the reason that I am here – Vancouver is a breathtakingly beautiful city – ocean and mountains sums it up. Parks and beaches abound. There are so many great things to discover about the city, just by hitting the pavement. Vancouver is a fairly small city and it is very easy to get around. There isn’t a single bad area on the west side of the city and there are so many neat neighbourhoods. From Kitsilano to Point Grey to Coal Harbour to the west end – lots to do and see. With a very laid back feel. Granville Island, Robson Street, English Bay – lots and lots of places to just get lost in.

World class skiing, mountain biking, sailing, kayaking, diving and golf are at your doorstep. As are some truly amazing drives – white rock, whistler etc. The outdoors is truly at your backdoor and is very accessible.

Restaurants

Vancouver is known for its world class restaurants – and there are many. There is a heavy Asian influence. Sushi is better than Japan – and very reasonably priced – a top notch meal can be had in a fine eatery for as little as 30 – 35 dollars.

Weather

Outside of winter the weather is very mild – spring gets rain but amounts to more of an inconvenience – summer is amazing as is early fall. May bears witness to the cherry blossoms – shrugging off of the winter and getting the summer weather started. Vancouver actually gets as much as 288 days with measurable sunshine and close to 2000 hours of sunshine a year – there is very little rain fall in the summer months.

Just my views, subjectivity will play a role of course. I think of Vancouver has being more of a very big town rather than a true world class city. It has something of an overly provincial attitude, which is somewhat at odds with its laid-back culture. I think the truly remarkable setting that Vancouver has has thrust it on the world stage – however, it has a bit more growing up to be a true world class city and in my mind falls short in a few areas. Having said that, it sure is a nice place to call home.

Cheers

Last edited by dboy; Jun 13th 2009 at 4:56 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 5:12 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver Confidential

Originally Posted by dboy
Vancouver has no head quarters for companies here.
It is a common perception, but it is not really true. HSBC Canada is one that immediately springs to mind.

The latest statistics I can find with a quick search are for 2004/2005. Even though they are a few years out of date they will be representative, as the corporate flight of the 90s stopped when the liberals were elected in 2001.

These stats say that 42 of the largest (by revenue) companies in Canada are headquartered in Metro Vancouver. Statistics Canada are quoted as saying 335 companies are headquartered in the region.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 9:55 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver Confidential

Hi

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is a common perception, but it is not really true. HSBC Canada is one that immediately springs to mind.

The latest statistics I can find with a quick search are for 2004/2005. Even though they are a few years out of date they will be representative, as the corporate flight of the 90s stopped when the liberals were elected in 2001.

These stats say that 42 of the largest (by revenue) companies in Canada are headquartered in Metro Vancouver. Statistics Canada are quoted as saying 335 companies are headquartered in the region.
Don't forget Jim Pattison, 3rd largest privately held company in Canada