Bankruptcy & Immigration?

Old Nov 29th 2008, 11:34 am
Just Joined

MountainmanColin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bankruptcy & Immigration?

Hello everyone, I am pretty new here and have become addicted to this forum, what a great source of info.
Well this is my first post and i really hope you guys may be able to help.
What are the effects of bankruptcy on an application for/immigration to Canada?
Due to unfortunate circumstances i am facing bankruptcy due in January 2009but have long term plans to immigrate to Canada once i have been discharged from bankruptcy.
Will this adversely effect my application?
I intend to start my application process once the bankruptcy process is completed, around late 2009.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 12:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bankruptcy & Immigration?

Can you clarify which immigration route you plan to go down, you say you are starting 'the application process' in Jan but for what?

There have been recent threads about this so do a search of the forums (on top right) and see what comes up.

Good luck.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

MountainmanColin is an unknown quantity at this point

Well at the moment i am not exactly the sure on which route to take during the application process. I feel i may be able to follow the skilled worker route but at the moment it seems i have so much research to do.
I did a search and it seems that my previous credit history will be viewed fairly.Thanks for the comments.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 3:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

The Skilled Worker route has changed, literally as of yesterday. See this info from the CIC website, if your job is not on the list of occupations on demand then the only way you will be able to go via the SW route is to find a job.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...structions.asp

If you do need to find a job then read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) which will help enormously.

Good luck.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

mrmani is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
The Skilled Worker route has changed, literally as of yesterday. See this info from the CIC website, if your job is not on the list of occupations on demand then the only way you will be able to go via the SW route is to find a job.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...structions.asp

If you do need to find a job then read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) which will help enormously.

Good luck.
Hi

Not sure if I can respond to an old thread but here goes....I also want to apply for immigration to canada but have recently been declared bankrupt. Will this effect any application?

Thanks
Old Jan 28th 2009, 1:38 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mrmani
Hi

Not sure if I can respond to an old thread but here goes....I also want to apply for immigration to canada but have recently been declared bankrupt. Will this effect any application?

Thanks
In a word, No.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 1:51 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by jericho
In a word, No.
But won't it be difficult to show the settlement funds?
Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

But won't it be difficult to show the settlement funds?
Once the bankruptcy is discharged, he's free to accumulate as much wealth as he wants, and it cannot be touched anyone he used to owe money to.
Besides, if he has a job, you dont need to show settlement funds....
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:21 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by jericho
Once the bankruptcy is discharged, he's free to accumulate as much wealth as he wants, and it cannot be touched anyone he used to owe money to.
Besides, if he has a job, you dont need to show settlement funds....
1. He hasn't been discharged, as he is going to file for bankruptcy in Jan/09
2. He hasn't a job in Canada, so he still requires settlement funds.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. He hasn't been discharged, as he is going to file for bankruptcy in Jan/09
2. He hasn't a job in Canada, so he still requires settlement funds.
BUt if you re-read the original thread, he's gonna apply once he's discharged.