Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Please help- nightmare getting hold of anybody

Please help- nightmare getting hold of anybody

Old Jan 17th 2009, 10:39 am
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to all
Default Please help- nightmare getting hold of anybody

Hi

Please could somebody give me a name or phone number or something for somebody at Canada House who might actually help me with this, please? I'm getting increasingly worried.

As some of you may know, back in August I had to withdraw my application for SW status for personal reasons. I received a letter from CHC acknowledging this and saying that it might take up to 3 months for my refund to be processed.

Anyway, I waited 'til after 4 months was up, just in case, and eventually emailed them in mid-December, chasing up my refund, but also (more importantly maybe) my original documents. I had one brief email from them, which I'm quoting in full here.

Thank you for your enquiry. Please be advised that your refund was
finalised on the 1st October 2008 and sent to the new address you
requested: [xxxx]. Please check at this address for your refund draft.

Yours sincerely,

Client Service Unit
The address given is the right one, it's where I live, but I haven't had anything, and my neighbours haven't either. I am now so, so worried, partly because I do need that refund now, money is tight, but mostly because where the hell are my documents? If that envelope fell into the wrong hands I've been opened up to so much potential ID theft. It makes me feel sick just thinking about it: you all know just how much information is on all those forms.

I've contacted that Client Services Team 3 more times since receiving that email, and they are completely ignoring me. They won't even tell me if the documents were sent by recorded delivery or not, or whether the banker's draft was made payable specifically to me, or if somebody else could have paid it in to their account.

Does anybody know anything that might help me here, please? I know it sounds dramatic, but I am so angry and worried, and all I want is to get hold of somebody who can help me. Does anybody know a name or telephone number I could try, please?

Also, those of you who have had refunds, please could you advise about the recorded delivery thing and the banker's draft thing?

Thanks very, very much.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 10:43 am
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to all
Default Re: Please help- nightmare getting hold of anybody

Sorry, I'm a tool: I should have said that I'm in London, UK.

Thanks
Old Jan 17th 2009, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Heljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hipster Contrarian
Hi

Please could somebody give me a name or phone number or something for somebody at Canada House who might actually help me with this, please? I'm getting increasingly worried.

As some of you may know, back in August I had to withdraw my application for SW status for personal reasons. I received a letter from CHC acknowledging this and saying that it might take up to 3 months for my refund to be processed.

Anyway, I waited 'til after 4 months was up, just in case, and eventually emailed them in mid-December, chasing up my refund, but also (more importantly maybe) my original documents. I had one brief email from them, which I'm quoting in full here.

The address given is the right one, it's where I live, but I haven't had anything, and my neighbours haven't either. I am now so, so worried, partly because I do need that refund now, money is tight, but mostly because where the hell are my documents? If that envelope fell into the wrong hands I've been opened up to so much potential ID theft. It makes me feel sick just thinking about it: you all know just how much information is on all those forms.

I've contacted that Client Services Team 3 more times since receiving that email, and they are completely ignoring me. They won't even tell me if the documents were sent by recorded delivery or not, or whether the banker's draft was made payable specifically to me, or if somebody else could have paid it in to their account.

Does anybody know anything that might help me here, please? I know it sounds dramatic, but I am so angry and worried, and all I want is to get hold of somebody who can help me. Does anybody know a name or telephone number I could try, please?

Also, those of you who have had refunds, please could you advise about the recorded delivery thing and the banker's draft thing?

Thanks very, very much.
Hi,

Not sure this will help, but I it might be worth contacting your local MP's constituency office. I dealt with something very similar when i recently worked for one as a Caseworker. They'll be able to get through to departments that are unavailable to the public.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 11:19 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Have you tried faxing them? Some people have received a response when they have done this.

Not sure if you would want to perhaps try what is suggested in this link??, not sure if its for the right reason, but your personal documents going astray is a concern as you say

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ber+chc+london

Good luck
Old Jan 28th 2009, 10:21 am
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hi

Sorry not to have logged back in to say thanks: I was out of the country for a bit, and also I couldn't remember my password.

Well, after bombarding CHC with emails, somebody has finally rung today. They clearly hadn't read anything I'd written because they asked the stupidest questions, but they have said that they'll send another banker's draft out at some point, so halleluiah for that.

Also they confirmed that they hadn't actually sent any of my documents back, so at least they can't have fallen into the wrong hands. At least now I have a name and phone number so I can chase this up further.

Thanks for your help, and good luck everybody!