Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Madison, WI?

Madison, WI?

Old Jul 9th 2008, 10:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Madison, WI?

What's the skinny on this place? Middleton to be exact I think?

Apart from shite cold winters and humid hot summers, having good schools, cycling and cheap housing, don't know that much about the place, quite liberal and looks alright...

I've done the demographic look up, just want to know if anyone's been around there, what's the commuter traffic like? Other towns to look at? How easy is it to fly into/out of and what about other big cities to go check out? IL is neighbouring, so how doable would a Chicago visit be, that kind of stuff
Old Jul 9th 2008, 10:33 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Madison, WI?

Originally Posted by Bob

Apart from shite cold winters and humid hot summers, having good schools, cycling and cheap housing, don't know that much about the place, quite liberal and looks alright...

I've done the demographic look up, just want to know if anyone's been around there, what's the commuter traffic like? Other towns to look at? How easy is it to fly into/out of and what about other big cities to go check out? IL is neighbouring, so how doable would a Chicago visit be, that kind of stuff
I do know it's a college town so you'll most likely experience a population growth during fall semester and shrinkage during the summer. That also means cheap eats around the University of Wisconsin. You might want to attend a couple football games there as well.

As for the other questions I'll ask two of my co-workers that moved from Wisconsin, one who is from Madison.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

About 3 hour drive to Chicago, so sure you could

I've been to Madison, don't remember a ton of traffic (although I'm from the Chicago area, so used to THAT traffic). Seemed a nice town.

Do they have an airport? I wonder, otherwise it'd be Milwaukee or O'Hare - you're probably around 2 1/2 hours from O'Hare, so for intl anyway that'd be pretty good.

Wisconsin is somewhat pretty, has lots of cows and great cheese, and I believe is pretty bad for taxes.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:11 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

It is consistently ranked as one of the best places in the country to live. Good schools, relatively low cost of living and higher salaries. I believe it is technically on an island and quite beautiful, with lots of brick buildings surrounding the University.

The airport (MDN) is a regional with service to major Midwest cities (Minneapolis, Chicago, Detroit) and a few further away (Washington, New York, Denver, Atlanta).

I would encourage you to catch a football game, even if you don't like football, as it is quite a social event in the Fall.

A bit more laid back lifestyle. Not like California but more of a simple Midwestern lifestyle in the surrounding areas, mixed with a touch of 'college town' offerings of arts, music, etc.

FWIW- I just read an article in Forbes I think that said big college towns (like Madison) are some of the better real estate investments right now, as there is a steady economy from the schools and more and more suburbanites are looking to ditch big cities for smaller towns with a touch of culture (i.e. college towns).

Here is a moving to Madison messageboard:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/madison/
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
It is consistently ranked as one of the best places in the country to live. Good schools, relatively low cost of living and higher salaries. I believe it is technically on an island and quite beautiful, with lots of brick buildings surrounding the University.

The airport (MDN) is a regional with service to major Midwest cities (Minneapolis, Chicago, Detroit) and a few further away (Washington, New York, Denver, Atlanta).

I would encourage you to catch a football game, even if you don't like football, as it is quite a social event in the Fall.

A bit more laid back lifestyle. Not like California but more of a simple Midwestern lifestyle in the surrounding areas, mixed with a touch of 'college town' offerings of arts, music, etc.

FWIW- I just read an article in Forbes I think that said big college towns (like Madison) are some of the better real estate investments right now, as there is a steady economy from the schools and more and more suburbanites are looking to ditch big cities for smaller towns with a touch of culture (i.e. college towns).

Here is a moving to Madison messageboard:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/madison/
Island? In what body of water?
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:27 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
I think it is near a lake..........
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:31 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DollyLlama
I think it is near a lake..........
google earth shows the majority of the city to be on an isthmus (love that word) between two lakes

incidentally Bob, a woman in my office raves about Madison, but I don't rreally know why
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:43 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Madison's not a bad town at all, if you can tolerate the weather. Pretty liberal for the Midwest, thanks to the university. Decent little downtown area, safe enough, low crime. Traffic should be manageable, although I can't say that I specifically know Middleton at all.

Chicago is a great town to visit, and Milwaukee is surprisingly good, a bit like a smallish version of Chicago. But otherwise, it's an island, surrounded by bland little towns and a few dumpy towns in between. The area also lacks ethnic diversity, so if that matters to you, you might find it dull.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:55 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I just looked on a map. I guess it isn't an island but an isthmus (by virtue of a canal) between Lake Mendota and Lake Monona. Here is a good pic of the downtown area.

Old Jul 10th 2008, 12:47 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

About 3 hour drive to Chicago, so sure you could

I've been to Madison, don't remember a ton of traffic (although I'm from the Chicago area, so used to THAT traffic). Seemed a nice town.

Do they have an airport? I wonder, otherwise it'd be Milwaukee or O'Hare - you're probably around 2 1/2 hours from O'Hare, so for intl anyway that'd be pretty good.

Wisconsin is somewhat pretty, has lots of cows and great cheese, and I believe is pretty bad for taxes.
They have an airport but NOT cheap to fly in or out of..........
Old Jul 10th 2008, 12:52 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

It's probably one of the nicest cities in the midwest.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

I was in WI a couple of weeks ago for a vacation, we stayed near Baraboo which is just a little further north than Madison. I love WI it's very pretty and everything seems so clean. Food was cheaper than PA don't know about house prices, taxes etc. There seems a lot do if you like outdoor pursuits, and in the area we were in there's 3 or 4 water parks, outlet malls galore. If it wasn't so so cold in the winter I'd definitely move there.

Last edited by nethead; Jul 10th 2008 at 1:00 am.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 12:59 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
I was in WI a couple of weeks ago for a vacation, we stayed near Baraboo which is just a little further north than Madison. I love WI it's very pretty and everything seems so clean. Food was cheaper than PA don't know about house prices etc, taxes etc. There seems a lot do if you like outdoor pursuits, and in the area we were in there's 3 or 4 water parks, outlet malls galore. If it wasn't so so cold in the winter I'd definitely move there.
I love their accent,
Old Jul 10th 2008, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I love their accent,
Me too
Old Jul 10th 2008, 1:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
I do know it's a college town so you'll most likely experience a population growth during fall semester and shrinkage during the summer. That also means cheap eats around the University of Wisconsin. You might want to attend a couple football games there as well.

As for the other questions I'll ask two of my co-workers that moved from Wisconsin, one who is from Madison.
cool, cheers

be interesting to see a game live, I'm about 10 miles away from where the Pats play, haven't seen them though, tickets are stupidly priced, bit like the Red Sox

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.