Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Import permit for cats

Import permit for cats

Old Oct 14th 2007, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Import permit for cats

Looked at the criteria for the import permit for my 2 boys, and I'm a bit flummoxed. How do you provide an Australian address long before you move? I don't know anyone in Perth, so can't borrow a mates address....

If anyone has any suggestions how to get around this I'd be extremely grateful?.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Import permit for cats

Originally Posted by NikiL
Looked at the criteria for the import permit for my 2 boys, and I'm a bit flummoxed. How do you provide an Australian address long before you move? I don't know anyone in Perth, so can't borrow a mates address....

If anyone has any suggestions how to get around this I'd be extremely grateful?.

put a care of address like the hotel you are staying in for the first week etc and if you havent booked then look one up and use that address, we used our hostel in sydney city without asking them, noi post gets sent there, just make sure you give your mobile number and if you are cxancelling a contract then buy a payg sim with the same firm and ask to keep your number, then you will have that number for life. You get an aussie sim when you get here but its there just in case en route to gettin gthe cats back but you can still update the quarantine station with your new aussie number when you arrive

you can change it all when you know more later on as ther cats will be in quarantine for 4 weeks while you settle anyway. We did this with cats and boxes at shippers and updated by ringing later on and changing addresses.no probs

hope all goes well, our 2 cats arrived safely and went to syd, fantastic place and the people there are real cat lovers,more like a cattery than a quarantine station, set out in roaming fields like an army barracks and very well run withg all the best foods and attention. Clares cat has an eye prob and needs drops 3 times a day and they did that for he r no probs. The cats were a bit porky from lack of running space and being well fed but have burned it off in 2 weeks running round the house.

They love the sun and wont be too hot at all so dontr worry there. Our catr have been sat in the window and were as hot as a cooker to touch and were loving every minute.

best oif luck

al

Last edited by Mr Anderson; Oct 14th 2007 at 3:40 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant, thanks for that, its a big weight off my mind as we have to get the permit ages in advance to be able to book them into Byford with their long lead times.

The quarantine stations all sound pretty good, haven't heard a bad thing about any of them & its really nice to hear how many peoples animals have settled in so well.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold

Brilliant, thanks for that, its a big weight off my mind as we have to get the permit ages in advance to be able to book them into Byford with their long lead times.

The quarantine stations all sound pretty good, haven't heard a bad thing about any of them & its really nice to hear how many peoples animals have settled in so well.
if they wont use a hostel or hotel then pm me for my address, no probs

al
Old Oct 15th 2007, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thankyou so much! Karma coming your way
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

katamina will become famous soon enoughkatamina will become famous soon enough

I'm dreading this part of the whole process - have 5 feline babies to get over there! My head is seriously going to hurt getting all of the timings right - hopefully getting a job offer, getting my visa, selling my house, booking quarantine etc etc!!

Am I right in thinking that you HAVE to use a pet travel agent for this process? If so, I've worked out it's gonna cost about £5k to get them there
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

I gather some areas you have to have a permit for more than 2. I believe you do have to use an agent as some airlines will only deal with them. Pet Air quoted me £1300 for my 2 boys, but thats then plus permits and various other costs & quarantine alone will be another $800 for them. Couldn't contemplate leaving them though

The bit thats really worrying me now is having just read about poor Toby, the transporters attitude is awful and I can't imagine how I'd feel if it was one of my boys that went missing.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

I gather some areas you have to have a permit for more than 2. I believe you do have to use an agent as some airlines will only deal with them. Pet Air quoted me £1300 for my 2 boys, but thats then plus permits and various other costs & quarantine alone will be another $800 for them. Couldn't contemplate leaving them though

The bit thats really worrying me now is having just read about poor Toby, the transporters attitude is awful and I can't imagine how I'd feel if it was one of my boys that went missing.
use golden arrow. no website but fantastic quick response and pro through and through. give them a bell and see. Clare was mightly impressed and she used to be a business analyst in the city so doing professionalism checks was her job. They were very though and the cats flew B.A., better than our flights LOL
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've heard a lot of good things about Golden Arrow, only thing that concerned me was they are so far away from us (comparatively when you consider the boys are going the other side of the world). Having said that, don't ask, don't get so I will call them. Thanks again

It was Australian Air Express that screwed up with Toby, not sure if they were the bunch that brought him in, or just the Australian end of it. Under the circumstances I was rather loathe to ask as understandably his owners have far more important things on their mind right now.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

I've heard a lot of good things about Golden Arrow, only thing that concerned me was they are so far away from us (comparatively when you consider the boys are going the other side of the world). Having said that, don't ask, don't get so I will call them. Thanks again

It was Australian Air Express that screwed up with Toby, not sure if they were the bunch that brought him in, or just the Australian end of it. Under the circumstances I was rather loathe to ask as understandably his owners have far more important things on their mind right now.
thgey pick up from heathrow if thats any easier as they drop off there, so if you can meet them (if they have a drop off that day) then its far easier, they are pretty acccommodating. Clare met them at manc airport 3 miles from our house. The lady whjo met us seemed pretty well off and of good stock if you know what iu mean and instantly asked which one was tibby so she knew which one to give the drops to. Very pro, we were happy as 100s of other on this site were

al