Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

securing a rental before arrival

securing a rental before arrival

Old Oct 22nd 2007, 1:19 pm
jon&a mp;kate

jon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud of
Default securing a rental before arrival

We are trying to secure a rental prior to arrival in OZ.Is it true that you have to view the rental in person?or can it be done from the UK.I would rather we had somewhere to go to on arrival rather than having to get a holiday let.If needs be i will go over to find something for us.Any advice would be great.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of
Default Re: securing a rental before arrival

This is quite difficult to do, however you can get rentals easily from www.pomsinperth.com before arrival.

I have used these guy a lot of times and there excellent, always helpful.

I wanted to sort out a long term rental before I arrived but found it would to difficult, I have opted instead to rent short term, say 2 months with poms in perth while I find a long term rental.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jon&kate
We are trying to secure a rental prior to arrival in OZ.Is it true that you have to view the rental in person?or can it be done from the UK.I would rather we had somewhere to go to on arrival rather than having to get a holiday let.If needs be i will go over to find something for us.Any advice would be great.
Get a short term before you arrive, and then look for a long-term rental when you are here. Organising a long-term rental without seeing it could in hindsight be a very bad idea when you are comitted to a place you don't like in an area you hate for 6 months. Also, most landlords won't be interested in renting unless you are 'in-country' also.

People like Poms in Perth are great, but bear in mind their prices are almost DOUBLE what a long-term rental would cost you in most cases [albeit furnished etc]. That's not a criticism, its a business and they have a lot of additional costs. 250 quid a weeks sound good when you first arrive but it will sound very bad when you are on ozzie wages.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to beholdMr Anderson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jon&kate

book a holiday rental online for 2 weeks. hire a car online for 2 weeks from the airport and take your time. Forget poms in oz as a last option you can find cheaper yourself by googleing holiday rentals (wherever you are heading)

Before you leave if you have time
Get yourself a cheap pda with sat nav car kit off ebay and a tomtom australia sd card from ebay.com.au and get it sent and install. When you arrive you can use the pda to find everywhere. Best £100 we ever spent. No arguments, no map reading whatsoever, speeded our entire looking process up by umpteen times. We would swear by it now as trying to finbd a petrol station or hotel on a street with a map in the dark is no fun in a new country.

Find a place you like and give yourself time. Remember that if you pay a holiday rental or rent a place, you are still paying rent somewhere so if you have to wait for the right property as we did then chill.

aL